Status
Not open for further replies.

bessie

Verified Insider
Reaction score

Charlottesville Police Search for Missing UVA Student

Posted: Sep 15, 2014 9:35 AM CST Updated: Sep 15, 2014 6:53 PM CST
By WRIC Newsroom

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. (WRIC) -The Charlottesville Police Department announced Monday their investigation into a missing persons incident involving a University of Virginia student.

Hannah Elizabeth Graham is an 18-year-old, white female. She stands at approximately 5'11" tall with a thin build. Hannah has blue eyes, light brown hair and freckles.

She was last seen wearing a black crop top with mesh cut outs. The last contact she had with friends was via text message at 1:20 a.m. on September 13; when her friends and family realized they hadn't had any contact with her since Friday night, they placed a call to the Emergency Communications Center.

[...]

Anyone with information is asked to contact the Charlottesville Police Department at 434-970-3280 or Crimestoppers at 434-977-4000.
Hannah Graham search: Police execute warrant at apartment, but find no sign of missing U.Va. student
By ABC News, ABC 7 News, Associated Press
September 19, 2014 - 10:50 am -- Updated: September 19, 2014 - 12:47 pm

Charlottesville police rushed to an apartment in the 100 block of Hessian Hills Way, off Barracks Road, that they believed was the last place that the 18-year-old was seen - however they found no sign of her. There were people in the apartment, but police have not arrested anyone at this time.
Friday afternoon, September 19, press conference with Chief Longo and Charlottesville PD. Chief Longo begins at about 13:00.
http://www.wdbj7.com/news/local/watch-live-backup-livestreaming/25755784
Sunday afternoon, September 21, press conference
http://www.wdbj7.com/news/local/3-p...uled-for-hannah-graham-investigation/28176918

VA - Hannah Graham, UVA Student, 09.13.14, Media, Maps, Photos, etc **NO DISCUSSION**

Thread #1
Thread #2 Thread #3 Thread #4 Thread#5 Thread #6 Thread #7

the door on the car is taped shut, it doesn't close properly on it's hinges

edit: same tape is on the trunk so might not be holding it shut. that car has some damage. would you be pulled for driving a car in that condition on public roads in VA, where I'm from you would i.e is it possible he was driving around for a while with the car like this?

On POI - JM:

If it looks like a Duck, walks like a Duck, and quacks like a duck, then I think we are dealing with a water-bird of the species Anatidea.

No point in denying it's a duck.

'

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/man-uva-student-faces-driving-charge-25660432

"A man seen with a University of Virginia student before she disappeared was being sought Sunday on arrest warrants charging him with reckless driving, police announced at a news conference.

Virginia State Police issued the warrants for Jesse Matthew on Saturday after he left the Charlottesville Police Department's station, authorities said. Matthew came to the station with several family members and asked for a lawyer, they said. He was provided with a lawyer and left in a vehicle, driving at a high rate of speed that endangered other drivers, Charlottesville Police Chief Timothy Longo said, adding Matthew was at the station for about an hour.

Law enforcement authorities who had been monitoring Matthew chased the vehicle but abandoned the pursuit due to the high speeds, Longo said."

Part of me wonders if there is an organised sex ring in the Charlottesville area. When you look at how many young girls have disappeared and either never been found or have wound up dead it makes me think. A couple of girls a year in that part of Virginia disappear, get brought into the sex ring, are used, killed and then dumped. Charlottesville being a college town provides these preditors with girls who are new to the area, who have just left home and are maybe engaging in activities that could leave them vulnerable (I'm in no way victim blaming - girls should be able to drink as much as they want without fear of sexual attack) and there are plenty of local girls to prey on too. It's just a theory. Nothing I can prove but I'm wondering if JM is a part of this kind of thing. Maybe RAT too.

It would be interesting to hear what the bartender has to say. And bar patrons.

If they were overtly tracking, why not use a helicopter to trail the POI? Slowly losing confidence in PD.

His car tells me he is poor. Most people in organized crime can afford nice cars.

"CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. (WUSA9) -- Volunteers and authorities continue to search for missing University of Virginia student Hannah Graham Sunday.

In a press conference Sunday afternoon, Chief Longo said Jesse Matthew, a person of interest, came to the Charlottesville Police Department Saturday afternoon and asked for the name of a lawyer. Police did not speak with Matthew, who sped away from the police station and is now wanted for reckless driving, Chief Longo said.

Hannah Graham's parents also spoke at the press conference and thanked authorities and the community for all of their help. Her parents stressed that they need to find out what happened to their daughter so it doesn't happen to anybody else's child.

Chief Longo said he believes Matthew was the last person was seen with since Hannah Graham "vanished off the face of the earth."

http://www.wusa9.com/story/news/local/2014/09/20/person-of-interest-hannah-graham/15963971/

Reckless driving is a serious charge, up to a year in jail and $2500 fine. Loss of license, etc.

§ 46.2-860. Failing to give proper signals.

A person shall be guilty of reckless driving who fails to give adequate and timely signals of intention to turn, partly turn, slow down, or stop, as required by Article 6 ( § 46.2-848 et seq.) of this chapter.

Holy cow.

There was a post about the car on the last thread.... the fact that all the make and model emblems have been removed. I actually do this, too. I just don't like silver plastic names and numbers on my car, I don't like how it looks. A lot of people remove them. :)

I'm reposting this because it was at the end of the previous thread and I wanted to edit it to add an important thought (first sentence, last para).

---

Someone said that Longo's speech wasn't appropriate for a press conference. I would argue that it was exactly appropriate and showed the mark of a master at work.

Longo wants to find out what happened to Hannah, and believes there are still people holding onto information that could help the investigation. He wants to compel those holdouts, *including LJ Matthew,* to come forward and talk. In order to compel people to do something, you have to engage their emotions. You can't compel people by reciting a list of dry facts. You must weave those facts into a gripping story that tugs at their emotions, their conscience and their moral fiber.

If I were a person who knew LJ Matthew and couldn't believe he could be involved in this, but yet knew some facts that may point to his involvement, this press conference could've been enough to take me over the edge and call the police tipline.

If I were a person very close to LJ Matthew, it might compel me to urge him to go forward and talk to police. A person might be full of conflicting emotions, but an impassioned talk like Longo's can help that person to see that there is only one right thing to do--come forward and tell what they know.

There was a post about the car on the last thread.... the fact that all the make and model emblems have been removed. I actually do this, too. I just don't like silver plastic names and numbers on my car, I don't like how it looks. A lot of people remove them. :)

Not to mention, that is EXTREMELY common with that type of car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni