Dachshunds Breeders?

Jvon

Reaction score
Are there any in the Los Angeles or Orange county area of California?

Jvon said:
The Dachshund Club of America has a list of kennels in California here and the National Miniature Dachshund Club listings are here. Good luck finding a breeder :)

Jvon said:
I know you were asking a simple question, but... I so commend you for looking for a reputable breeder in your hometown. Working with dog rescue and against the puppymill industry, I highly discourage anyone from purchasing a puppy or animal off of the internet. Responsible and reputable breeders breed their dogs for the betterment of the breed and also require home checks and / or a lengthy application before they will even consider letting you have one of their prized pups. Those on the internet are out to make a buck - at the expense of overbreeding and "backyard breeding." This is not a lecture, merely a word of caution as this is my "cause." In fact, you may already be aware of much of what I wrote. :)

My family has had dachshunds for 22 years now as pets both through rescue and breeders. Feel free to pm me with any questions about the breed. Good luck and I hope these links help you - dachshunds are wonderful companions and once you find the right match you will find joy for years to come!

http://www.dachshundrescue.org/ A dachshund rescue site
http://sddc.us/id4.html a list of breeders throughout CA recommended by the San Diego Dachshund Club - you will notice many of these say "puppies available ocassionally" as opposed to always having "stock" on hand.

Olivia77 said:
I know you were asking a simple question, but... I so commend you for looking for a reputable breeder in your hometown. Working with dog rescue and against the puppymill industry, I highly discourage anyone from purchasing a puppy or animal off of the internet. Responsible and reputable breeders breed their dogs for the betterment of the breed and also require home checks and / or a lengthy application before they will even consider letting you have one of their prized pups. Those on the internet are out to make a buck - at the expense of overbreeding and "backyard breeding." This is not a lecture, merely a word of caution as this is my "cause." In fact, you may already be aware of much of what I wrote. :)

My family has had dachshunds for 22 years now as pets both through rescue and breeders. Feel free to pm me with any questions about the breed. Good luck and I hope these links help you - dachshunds are wonderful companions and once you find the right match you will find joy for years to come!

http://www.dachshundrescue.org/ A dachshund rescue site
http://sddc.us/id4.html a list of breeders throughout CA recommended by the San Diego Dachshund Club - you will notice many of these say "puppies available ocassionally" as opposed to always having "stock" on hand.
I very much respect your opinion because I have pet birds, and after researching to become more familiar with them, I realize the negative part of the bird trade. I am not as familiar about dachshunds but after having one as a child and later another as a teenager, I came to love them. I never had a desire to have another one. Since I have retired,a year ago at 50 years old I have thought about getting one. I appreciate your wisdom.:)

kpass said:
http://www.svdachshunds.com/

A friend of mine's sister just bought 2, a brother & a sister...this is the breeder she dealt with, she's here in Chicago, they worked a deal, the puppies were fl
own here.
Thanks kpass. I am not too happy about flying one in but I may consider when I fly to Chicago in September to visit relatives and having one fly back with me.

Ntegrity said:
The Dachshund Club of America has a list of kennels in California here and the National Miniature Dachshund Club listings are here. Good luck finding a breeder :)
Thank you Ntegrity, I very much appreciate this information.

I had a dachshund as a family pet growing up, too. so finally as an adult I got myself 2 miniature dachshunds. I just love them to pieces I got a male and a female, they are almost 18 months old.

I am planning on breeding them, she should go into heat again around the first of Oct.

She is a little red girl, but actually came from a cream daddy, and he is a solid black boy. No tan. He looks a lot like my black Lab, that's why I wanted him.

If you need the name of a breeder sooner than that, I may be able to help. I am in Escondido.

Love my babies!

RElady said:
I had a dachshund as a family pet growing up, too. so finally as an adult I got myself 2 miniature dachshunds. I just love them to pieces I got a male and a female, they are almost 18 months old.

I am planning on breeding them, she should go into heat again around the first of Oct.

She is a little red girl, but actually came from a cream daddy, and he is a solid black boy. No tan. He looks a lot like my black Lab, that's why I wanted him.

If you need the name of a breeder sooner than that, I may be able to help. I am in Escondido.

Love my babies!
Thank you RElady, please keep me up to date,especially since you are in a short driving distance. I would like to ask you a personal question. If this is none of my business, I will respect your response. I find the statement on your personal response states something about "a senile Father...and Alzheimer's" I am curious because my Father died of Alzheimer's 2 years ago. Forgive me if I have misread your statement but do I see some anger. If I do, I have something to share with you. If not , forgive me for jumping to conclusions.

Sounds good, I will keep you informed about the doggies!

You are right, my dad died in November after struggling with Alzheimer's. My mom died 12 years ago, so it was up to my brother and I to see to his needs and the last 2 years were wicked. I miss him terribly but am glad he is no longer lonely or crazy. They were both awesome parents.

Look forward to info from you.

RElady said:

Love my babies!

I too had a dachsund growing up and I took in a stray..a dapple if you can believe that!

I'm blind without my glasses but I was taking a waffle out of the toaster and I saw him walk by...I'm on a main street so I was scared for him.

My husband says I can see a dachsund 3 miles away without my glasses!!

Lol...Goldens are another love of mine. My almost 12 year old Golden, Buddy, passed away on 3/10/05. It was the hardest thing I ever had to do.

Dogs are a great joy of mine and also a great sorrow.

OOOO my business partner got a longhaired piebald male, he's chocolate black and white with cream colored freckles on his fat little hairy feet! She named him Scooter (to my dismay after following the trial) but he is the love of our lives and everyone who enters our business! He comes to work everyday and makes life better. What a fabulous dog. I'm now looking on the internet for one. I will heed the warning and be careful.

I'm in Northern Cal and would like a shaded cream male. I will know when the time is right.

What do you get when you cross a Shih Tzu and a Dachshund? Someone I know has 4 puppies.

Boyzmomee said:
I too had a dachsund growing up and I took in a stray..a dapple if you can believe that!

I'm blind without my glasses but I was taking a waffle out of the toaster and I saw him walk by...I'm on a main street so I was scared for him.

My husband says I can see a dachsund 3 miles away without my glasses!!

Lol...Goldens are another love of mine. My almost 12 year old Golden, Buddy, passed away on 3/10/05. It was the hardest thing I ever had to do.

Dogs are a great joy of mine and also a great sorrow.
I can totally believe that. Folks, check out Petfinder.com - you can search shelters and rescue groups, from in your local area to nationwide, by breed, sex, age, good with kids or not - you'll be amazed what people throw away.

When I took in my first Schnauzer as a stray, I thought it was a fluke that somone didn't want a handsome, loving, purebred dog. 10 years later I've learned the sad truth:

Too many people get dogs on a whim, then realize they've got something that's going to have the same needs as a toddler for 10-15 years. We get as many purebred Mini Schnauzers as we can find foster homes for or squeeze in here at our house, just from here in our town. Some are strays, some come to us because of new babies the dog doesn't like, people moving, marriage to somone who doesn't like the dog, death of the owner - you name it.

Unless you enjoy housebreaking, teething and the other "joys" of puppyhood, consider an adult dog. My first was 9 when I got him, and lived to be 17. Would I have liked to have him longer? Sure, but I wouldn't take my 9 years with that dog for 100 with some I've known.

Sorry to preach, but I'm passionate about my "babies". People are always stunned when they find out my dogs are all 2nd hand. If you think I'm kidding, check petfinder.com or go to your local shelter - you'll be suprised. 1/3 of dogs in most shelters are purebred.

SchnauzerMom said:
I can totally believe that. Folks, check out Petfinder.com - you can search shelters and rescue groups, from in your local area to nationwide, by breed, sex, age, good with kids or not - you'll be amazed what people throw away.

When I took in my first Schnauzer as a stray, I thought it was a fluke that somone didn't want a handsome, loving, purebred dog. 10 years later I've learned the sad truth:

Too many people get dogs on a whim, then realize they've got something that's going to have the same needs as a toddler for 10-15 years. We get as many purebred Mini Schnauzers as we can find foster homes for or squeeze in here at our house, just from here in our town. Some are strays, some come to us because of new babies the dog doesn't like, people moving, marriage to somone who doesn't like the dog, death of the owner - you name it.

Unless you enjoy housebreaking, teething and the other "joys" of puppyhood, consider an adult dog. My first was 9 when I got him, and lived to be 17. Would I have liked to have him longer? Sure, but I wouldn't take my 9 years with that dog for 100 with some I've known.

Sorry to preach, but I'm passionate about my "babies". People are always stunned when they find out my dogs are all 2nd hand. If you think I'm kidding, check petfinder.com or go to your local shelter - you'll be suprised. 1/3 of dogs in most shelters are purebred.
I loveeeeeeeeeee schnauzers!!
I wish I could afford one- my parents had a mini & a giant--!! the mini, Tobi was salt & pepper, the giant, czar...black--they were the neatest dogs..especially the no shedding part!! the funny thing was, the mini, who was about 1/20th the size of the giant...ruled the roost! he was older too!
I got my moslty black lab at a shelter, I had no idea they had Schnauzer rescue-- I will definatly check into that

j2mirish said:
I loveeeeeeeeeee schnauzers!!
I wish I could afford one- my parents had a mini & a giant--!! the mini, Tobi was salt & pepper, the giant, czar...black--they were the neatest dogs..especially the no shedding part!! the funny thing was, the mini, who was about 1/20th the size of the giant...ruled the roost! he was older too!
I got my moslty black lab at a shelter, I had no idea they had Schnauzer rescue-- I will definatly check into that
J2M,
Did I read elsewhere on the board that you're in FL? Schnauzer Love Rescue has some people there, and they had a fundraiser called Schnauzer-palooza down there last year in the Spring. www.schnauzerloverescue.org I believe is their website, if not it's .net . Check and see if they're having it again and if it's near you. You could dress your Lab up as a Schnauzer for the costume contest. They had an agility demo and an Earthdog demo, all kinds of contests, a raffle - I'd have gone, but we always go to Cincinnati for SchnauzerFest and couldn't do both.

Adoption fees are usually not much more than it costs to get the dog it's shots and spay or neuter. Most people want females and younger dogs, so knowing how sweet little males are, you might have an advantage.

My smallest and oldest is "the boss" around here, too. She's the only female of my own 4, affectionately known as "The Princess" or "Diva Dog".

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cbisme
Back