Status
Not open for further replies.

bessie

Verified Insider
Reaction score

Charlottesville Police Search for Missing UVA Student

Posted: Sep 15, 2014 9:35 AM CST Updated: Sep 15, 2014 6:53 PM CST
By WRIC Newsroom

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. (WRIC) -The Charlottesville Police Department announced Monday their investigation into a missing persons incident involving a University of Virginia student.

Hannah Elizabeth Graham is an 18-year-old, white female. She stands at approximately 5'11" tall with a thin build. Hannah has blue eyes, light brown hair and freckles.

She was last seen wearing a black crop top with mesh cut outs. The last contact she had with friends was via text message at 1:20 a.m. on September 13; when her friends and family realized they hadn't had any contact with her since Friday night, they placed a call to the Emergency Communications Center.

[...]

Anyone with information is asked to contact the Charlottesville Police Department at 434-970-3280 or Crimestoppers at 434-977-4000.
Hannah Graham search: Police execute warrant at apartment, but find no sign of missing U.Va. student
By ABC News, ABC 7 News, Associated Press
September 19, 2014 - 10:50 am -- Updated: September 19, 2014 - 12:47 pm

Charlottesville police rushed to an apartment in the 100 block of Hessian Hills Way, off Barracks Road, that they believed was the last place that the 18-year-old was seen - however they found no sign of her. There were people in the apartment, but police have not arrested anyone at this time.
Friday afternoon, September 19, press conference with Chief Longo and Charlottesville PD. Chief Longo begins at about 13:00.
http://www.wdbj7.com/news/local/watch-live-backup-livestreaming/25755784
Sunday afternoon, September 21, press conference
http://www.wdbj7.com/news/local/3-p...uled-for-hannah-graham-investigation/28176918

VA - Hannah Graham, UVA Student, 09.13.14, Media, Maps, Photos, etc **NO DISCUSSION**

Hannah Graham SAR Thread

Thread #1
Thread #2 Thread #3 Thread #4 Thread#5 Thread #6 Thread #7 Thread #8 Thread #9 Thread #10

Thanks to Bakerslady for this post

Anyone with information regarding Graham's whereabouts is asked to call a 24/7 tipline at 434-295-3851

People Directly Involved

View attachment 59626

Hannah Elizabeth Graham – 18 – 5’11” – thin athletic build – last seen wearing a sparkly green/gold/black crop top, black pants, white tennis shoes, cell phone with pink case - British citizen who has lived in VA since she was 5 – 2nd year nursing student at University of Virginia (UVA) – Last seen by witnesses at Tempo (restaurant) in downtown Charlottesville, VA between 1:20 and 1:40 am on Saturday September 13, 2014

View attachment 59632View attachment 59633
Jesse Leroy Matthew Jr – 32 – Charlottesville resident – 6’2” – 270lbs – dreadlocks - Nursing Assistant at UVA Medical Center – Assistant youth football coach – Last person seen with Hannah Graham by witnesses at Tempo (restaurant) in downtown Charlottesville, VA between 1:20 and 1:40 am on Saturday September 14, 2014 – Drives a 1998 burnt orange Chrysler coupe with significant body damage – A.K.A : DG (dreadlocks guy)

WG – ‘White guy’ (for lack of better term) who called in a tip to LE stating he saw Hannah in front of Sal’s restaurant – she appeared to be in physical distress – he followed her briefly as he was concerned for her safety – he stopped following her upon the arrival of a black male who approached her and put his arm around her as he perceived that she was safe with him – he thought it was someone she knew

BG – ‘Black guy’ (for lack of better term) – According to LE early on in the case BG was described by WG as a black male wearing black pants, white top, with goatee and slight beer belly – initial reports claimed this is the man who WG saw put his arm around Hannah (this has been heavily disputed)

Chief Timothy Longo – Charlottesville Police Chief

Detective-Sergeant James Mooney – Charlottesville PD lead investigator

Timeline http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/09/21/missing-uva-student/16019551/

Sept. 12
- 9:30 p.m. ET. Graham is captured on Camden Plaza Apartments surveillance video in a hallway a few blocks away from the GrandMarc apartments (1) where she lives.
View attachment 59628

- 11:50 p.m. Graham's friends meet her at Camden Plaza Apartments on 14th Street Northwest. It is the last time they see her.

Sept. 13
- 12:46 a.m. Graham is captured on surveillance video at McGrady's Pub on Grady Avenue. Police say she was having a conversation with a man (doorman) and appeared drunk.

- 1 a.m. Graham is captured on surveillance video at a Shell gas station on Preston Avenue across railroad tracks from her apartment and the U.Va. campus. She's seen running then walking.

- 1:06 a.m. Graham is captured on surveillance video at Sal's Pizza on East Main Street. A white man walks into the camera's view, looks over his shoulder then steps into a doorway. Graham walks past him and then he starts walking behind her. He later came to police and told them he was following Graham because she seemed distressed and he wanted to make sure she was safe.

- BG walked westbound along mall and then "u-turned" and headed east behind HG, eventually catching up to her and placing his arm around her. (Confirmed by CPD).

- 1:08 a.m. Graham is captured on surveillance video at Tuel's Jewelers on East Main Street. The video shows the man walking some distance behind her.

- After 1:08 a.m. Graham and a man with dreadlocks (Jesse Matthew) enter Tempo Restaurant & Bar on Fifth Street Southeast. He buys alcohol, they stay 15 minutes and leave together.

- around 1:20 a.m. Graham texts friends, "I'm coming to a party...but I'm lost." It was the last time she had contact with anyone. If her phone pinpointed her location, police have not released the information, and police did not clarify whether the text was sent before or after leaving the bar. Police have stated that they do not believe she sent the text from 14th and Wertland. sources cite conflicting information - needs to be verified

Sept. 19
- Police receive a warrant to search a car and condo about 3 miles northwest from where Graham was last seen.
164 Hessian Hills Way, Charlottesville

Police spoke to him this morning when they executed a search warrant and seized his car, but did not feel that they had enough probable cause to arrest him, Longo said.

"We know that he purchased alcohol (in the restaurant) and we know that Hannah Graham was with him. We also know that within 15 minutes he was gone from that bar and Hannah Graham was with him," Longo said.
"People saw Hannah and people saw him, and people saw them together. And it's entirely possible, we believe, that Hannah Graham may have gotten into his vehicle," the chief said.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/search-war...university-virginia-student/story?id=25621541

Sept. 20
- Over 1200 citizen volunteers searched Charlottesville for Hannah.

- Jesse Matthew arrived at Charlottesville PD – requested a lawyer – LE found him a lawyer with whom he spoke to briefly – he left without speaking with LE – no new information was provided – he was later observed speeding and driving recklessly – LE had to abandon pursuit due to high speeds citing public safety concerns.

Sept. 21
- Chief Longo holds a press conference

- During a Sunday press conference, police chief Tim Longo said the department has issued arrest warrants for Jesse Matthew for reckless driving. According to Newsday, the warrants were issued Saturday after he left the Charlottesville Police Department station. Longo said investigators were "overtly" trailing Matthew on Saturday and tracked him to a home in Albermarle County. Longo said Matthew then drove away from the home at a high rate of speed.

Live Blog and Updates

http://liveblog.wtop.com/Event/The_search_for_Hannah_Graham

<modsnip>

Twitter

https://twitter.com/hegraham25 Hannah Graham
https://twitter.com/Parker8News Parker Slaybaugh
https://twitter.com/coybarefoot Coy Barefoot
https://twitter.com/MelissaCBS6 Melissa J. Hipolit

Maps

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/09/21/1411331727118_wps_75_hannah_graham_locator_map.jpg
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=59615&stc=1&d=1411390967
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=59620&d=1411395959

Videos
Hannah Graham surveillance video: McGrady's Pub
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nASu-u8gHFI

Hannah Graham surveillance video: Shell station on Preston Ave.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ik4cjJmNN04

Hannah Graham captured on security camera outside Sal's Caffe Italia in Charlottesville, Virginia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=L8WV9wLBzdg&app=desktop

Hannah Graham captured on security camera outside Tuel Jewelers in Charlottesville, Virginia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UmfLTWEuQEU

I don't know if this has been linked or not.

If it has I apologize.

Updated 1 hour ago:

Charlottesville police have released a wanted poster in their search for Jesse "LJ" Matthew, the person they say was last seen with missing Northern Virginia native Hannah Graham.

Matthew, 32, was last seen speeding away from state police troopers Saturday after showing up at the Charlottesville police station. He left without talking to detectives after asking for a lawyer, police Chief Timothy Longo said Sunday.
He is wanted for two counts of reckless driving, and is possibly using his sister's light blue Nissan Sentra with Virginia license plate VAC-4575.

Police say Matthew has associations to the D.C. area, Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania and New York.

[...]

Anyone with information is asked to call the 24-hour tip line at 434-295-3851.

http://m.insidenova.com/headlines/u...1c2-4040-11e4-a18b-0710e0693940.html?mode=jqm

Makes no sense to me that a reckless driving alert not only carries references to this current case but to earlier ones as well. Talk about painting JM guilty not just for this but as a serial killer.

You want something found on the internet, I am your woman. But ask me to look at a grainy surveillance video and I am all "whaaa"? Circle the image you want me to focus on and I still just see a blob with a red circle around it. Thankful for other posters and professionals who see what I cannot.

Hi there, I don't mean to be controversial or to offend anyone. Hopefully my thoughts are not taken as a personal attack but rather as a legitimate issue that I am starting to struggle with.

While I realize it can be important to stay informed about issues in our greater communities, and in our world, I worry that the rather grim and morbid speculation of whether anyone is in a dumpster, etc is truly helpful. Will our posts about that sort of stuff really help? Do we not think that LE is obviously thinking of the worst case scenario already?

Is the painful reality of the people truly facing this, no, enduring this, walking this, living this, suffocating under this, in any way made better by internet strangers talking about their loved one in such terms (no matter how many sad emoticons!)?

This is just something I started thinking of today, that if I were in this situation I would horrified and sickened further. At worst, it is like water cooler gossip. Like it's a hobby or entertainment that we have the privilege of being removed from through our screens.

I don't know, I've been following so many devastating cases and it's just so hard to feel so powerless and angry at those who dare take away people's children, parents, brothers, sisters, etc.

All day my mind keeps going back to the "accidental" release of POI's social security number.

IMO either they've got a lot on him and are trying to provoke him, or some of the LE involved are epically incompetent.

I completely agree yellowsky! I have been trying to follow this case ~ but it seems that there is so much non pertinent information, it is impossible to get through or keep up with... and really, I don't mean to offend ~ we all have the same goal on this site...

All day my mind keeps going back to the "accidental" release of POI's social security number.

IMO either they've got a lot on him and are trying to provoke him, or some of the LE involved are epically incompetent.
But if they have got a lot on him, why bother to provoke him? Issue a warrant for kidnapping and put an end to the nonsense!

They released his SSN?? Wow. That's...not cool.

Hi there, I don't mean to be controversial or to offend anyone. Hopefully my thoughts are not taken as a personal attack but rather as a legitimate issue that I am starting to struggle with.

While I realize it can be important to stay informed about issues in our greater communities, and in our world, I worry that the rather grim and morbid speculation of whether anyone is in a dumpster, etc is truly helpful. Will our posts about that sort of stuff really help? Do we not think that LE is obviously thinking of the worst case scenario already?

Is the painful reality of the people truly facing this, no, enduring this, walking this, living this, suffocating under this, in any way made better by internet strangers talking about their loved one in such terms (no matter how many sad emoticons!)?

This is just something I started thinking of today, that if I were in this situation I would horrified and sickened further. At worst, it is like water cooler gossip. Like it's a hobby or entertainment that we have the privilege of being removed from through our screens.

I don't know, I've been following so many devastating cases and it's just so hard to feel so powerless and angry at those who dare take away people's children, parents, brothers, sisters, etc.

I completely relate to what you are saying. Everything you touched on is true and makes perfect sense. This is my first time being on a forum on here and I will probably be stepping away from it thanks to you. :) Everything is better left in God's hands. Praying and praying hard is the best thing to be doing right now. The Lord will bring justice on his time. Peace out websleuths!

This case appears to have evolved into a lot of 'show boating', with out much else. I guess this means someone is up for re-election next year. Commonwealth's Attorney perhaps?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/police-issue-wanted-poster-for-man-seen-with-u-va-student-before-she-went-missing/2014/09/22/062b1a46-428c-11e4-9a15-137aa0153527_story.html

Quote from article about this wanted poster: "Though such posters are usually reserved for situations when police are trying to track down suspected violent criminals, drug dealers, abductors and fugitives, the Charlottesville Police Department wants Jesse Leroy Matthew Jr., 32, on two counts of reckless driving. Matthew has not been charged with any crime related to Graham&#8217;s disappearance, and police have presented no evidence that a crime occurred. "

It would appear, that Washington Post has the sense that a Wanted poster, is over the top?

And further, "The poster release also came two days after Matthew walked through the police department&#8217;s front door, met with police, asked for a lawyer, was allowed to leave, and was then cited as he allegedly sped away. The photograph on the poster is dated Sept. 19 &#8212; Friday &#8212; the day police searched his car and Charlottesville apartment after surveillance video showed him walking with Graham through a pedestrian mall about a mile east of the U-Va. campus."

Seriously, a wanted poster? Ridiculous theatrics. Who knows if JLM is guilty or innocent. But IMO, the community is being manipulated to have a very specific opinion about the POI. How many people out there, would say, "Hell, if he's on a wanted poster, he must have done something!" I think this 'University' town is trying like hell, to protect its reputation. This is seriously bad press. And I think behind the scenes, Chief Longo (long-on theatrics, short on evidence at this point) has been charged with doing 'whatever it takes', to convey a show of authority.

And still nothing, about the 2 additional attacks that occurred on the same weekend that HG disappeared. One of the two women, left for dead - mere blocks from where HG lived and partied.

A 'Wanted" poster... completely ridiculous.

On the SS#, I think it's the latter.

My guess is that Longo has been getting tidbits of information from the guys over at the forensics lab. Although, all of the testing isn't complete, some of it most likely is, and it pointed towards Mathews. I think that may be why things got so ratcheted up this afternoon with the missing poster and all.
They want to locate this guy ASAP so they can slap the cuffs on him when all tests are completed and officially released.

About the phone again...if the 14th & Wertland "lost" text was actually typed earlier, but for some reason saved to draft.........I feel like she pulled her phone out at McGrady's for a very short moment when she was paused at the corner when first arriving on the property. Could she have seen that the power was drained at that point? Maybe her "distress" at the Downtown Mall was due to being stranded in town with no way to contact anyone?? According to information released, she had earlier asked friends to come get her because she was lost. Now, she has no way to let them know where she is.

Very far behind but it seems that people have been very touchy about a few topics and it is taking up 100s of 'pages of space. If someone makes a mistake, if a member has an issue with another members posts, or if a topic isn't of interest, we have four choices:
1. Notify a mod
2. PM the other Member
3. Scroll passed the topics/comments/members that annoy us
4. Or hit the ignore button.

But just because some members are interested in discussing:
the WG's intentions
Why JLM Jr got a new license
Why chief Longo said "we found him a lawyer'
The last text and whether HG was really lost
What exact path HG took to go 2.5 miles in approx 2.0 hours
and anything else that has taken up 100s of pages that all of us have to read to get to any new development:

Please remember that this case may actually be related to some other very high profile cases and that it may end up being that this POI or whoever else may be responsible for HG's disapperance is connected to many of the missing or murdered people in Central Virginia.

Please know that there are many people, including CPD in the 1st PC, the media and area LE who have referenced the possibility that this case may be connected to at least two other cases. One of those cases was definitely mentioned by CPD as having not been ruled out, because of the undeniable similarities, as it relates to HG's disappearance. So with that in mind, please understand that there are MANY members and viewers who are very interested in looking at the similarities and possible connections of either a single killer or a tag team, working with the abductor or killer of HG, to either kill or keep captive the half dozen young women missing from the Shenandoah Valley.

Some of those missing or murdered include:
Cassandra Morton
Morgan Harrington
Samantha Clarke
Dashad Sage Smith
Alexis Murphy (Some people hold open the possibility that RAT was not the only person involved in AM's Case.)
Ann Marie Smith
Hannah Graham

All of the above are either missing and/or murdered from/in or very near Central Virginia/Shenandoah Valley, along the Rt 29/I-64 corridor, since 2009. That is a very significant aspect to this case and IMO should be explored. IMVPO, I believe this is why you see such passionate interest on the part of Chief Longo, CPD, Albemarle County Sheriffs Office, the Virginia State Police, Virginia's Search and Rescue as well as the FBI.
If they have been willing to leave in the possibility that some or all of these cases are connected then maybe we here might want to as well. The post that have mentioned these other cases have numbered less than probably 50 but there is such rudeness about members giving even a two or three sentence example of similarities between HG's disappearance and any of the above. It is really curious as to why a few members who choose to dismiss this aspect of HG's case and make those who wish to discuss it feel as if they are breaking some TOS.

"And still nothing, about the 2 additional attacks that occurred on the same weekend that HG disappeared. One of the two women, left for dead - mere blocks from where HG lived and partied. "

But they are not missing and no doubt getting the help/treatment they need and deserve with their family by their side. Hannah needs the public's help right now ~ she needs to be found!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie