IN IN - Vali Davis, 24, Indianapolis, 24 June 1979

M86

Reaction score
Vali E. Davis disappeared from Indianapolis, Indiana on June 24, 1979.

Unsolved Cold Case Homicide
Indiana State Police Case Number 52-4415874

Nickname/Alias: Vali Morrison
Sex: Female
Race: Caucasian
Height (inches): 67.0
Weight (pounds): 110.0
Eyes: Green
Hair: Red/Auburn
Case Date: 6/25/1979
County: Marion
Location of offense: Lucifers, 3510 East 86th Street, Indianapolis

Circumstances: The victim was last observed at a Northside nightspot, Lucifers. She had been there with friends, but none saw her leave. The victim’s mother notified GHQ of her daughter’s failure to return home two days later. The Marion County Sheriff’s Department located her vehicle (copper-colored 1976 Ford Pinto) in the parking lot of Lucifer’s, unlocked. No leads have developed in recent years.

Anyone with information concerning this case, please contact:

Indiana State Police
District Investigative Commander
8620 E. 21st Street
Indianapolis, IN 46219
1-317-899-8577 or 1-800-582-8440

Indiana State Police - Vali E. Davis
Charley Project - Vali E. Davis
NamUs - Vali Davis, MP# 10533
No dentals, DNA, or fingerprints available.

I wonder if it is an unsolved homicide because the subject has been declared dead?

86th Street in Indianapolis is a major thoroughfare east-and-west on the north side of the city.

I wonder if it is an unsolved homicide because the subject has been declared dead?

86th Street in Indianapolis is a major thoroughfare east-and-west on the north side of the city.

I'm not sure. I'm going through Indiana's list of missing people on Charley Project, and I came across another missing person from IN that is listed as a homicide on the Indiana State Police's website.

As for Vali Davis, I did find this: Brownsburg Public Library Obituary Finder - Willa Davis
Listed as "surviving" is a daughter named Vali Elizabeth Davis. If you go click on the "View" button under "Obituary File", it will show an image of the actual newspaper obit.
I can't be 100% sure if the Vail Elizabeth Davis listed in the obit is the same missing Vail E. Davis, but Vali isn't a common first name, and the obit was in Indiana, and E is the first name in Elizabeth.

I wanted to get this on Websleuths because we need some DNA for this missing person!

Here is the Doenetwork.org link for Vali Davis for future reference if needed. http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2798dfin.html

There were many women with red/auburn hair that went missing and/or found deceased in the 1970s-1990s. Speculation was a SK was active. I wonder if that is why her disappearance has already been declared a homicide??

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/10533/

I'm not sure. I'm going through Indiana's list of missing people on Charley Project, and I came across another missing person from IN that is listed as a homicide on the Indiana State Police's website.

As for Vali Davis, I did find this: Brownsburg Public Library Obituary Finder - Willa Davis
Listed as "surviving" is a daughter named Vali Elizabeth Davis. If you go click on the "View" button under "Obituary File", it will show an image of the actual newspaper obit.
I can't be 100% sure if the Vail Elizabeth Davis listed in the obit is the same missing Vail E. Davis, but Vali isn't a common first name, and the obit was in Indiana, and E is the first name in Elizabeth.

I wanted to get this on Websleuths because we need some DNA for this missing person!

Willa was her mother. I don’t know how to post pictures and not sure if anyone can see this link without being a subscriber but here is a article from October after she went missing where it speaks of her mother Mrs Willa Davis https://www.newspapers.com/image/107226959/

IN – Vali Elizabeth Davis, W/F, 23, Indianapolis, Marion Co, 24 Jun 1979

Vali Elizabeth Davis

1969.JPG 1971.JPG 1972.JPG

Alias: Vali Morrison

Last Contact: Sunday, June 24nd, 1979
Missing From: Indianapolis, Marion County, Indiana

Physical Description:
Race: White
Sex: Female
DOB: 07/27/55
Height: 5’7” (67”)
Weight: 110 lbs.
Hair: Auburn/Red, Short collar length at the time of disappearance
Eye Color: Green
Clothing: Black Quiana square neck dress with straps over the shoulders, lace on the sides and an A-line skirt, black purse
Characteristics/Medical/Scars: Cannot determine positively it appears Vali had freckles
Transportation: 1976 Ford Pinto, Brown/Copper color (Located in Lucifer’s Parking Lot)
Fingerprint Status: Not Available
Dental Status: Not Available
DNA Status: Available

Circumstances:
Vali was last seen at Lucifer’s Nightclub 3510 East 86th Street and Keystone Avenue Indianapolis, Marion County, Indiana on June 24th, 1979. Lucifer’s was a popular club that featured disco music and dancing.

A witness stated Vali left at @ 2:00 am and was last seen walking toward her 1976 Ford Pinto (Brown/Copper). Vali’s mother reported her missing 2 days later, her Ford Pinto was in the parking lot with the doors unlocked.

Over the years a reward was offered for the return of Vali with no questions asked. The family also hired a private investigator, contacted the FBI, consulted several psychics, fortune tellers and placed classified ads with no results in finding Vali or what happened to her.

Vali’s mother whom so diligently looked for her daughter passed away in May 1986 and her father passed away in Aug 1997.

Investigating Agencies:
Indiana State Police Department
100 N Senate Avenue
Indianapolis, Indiana
Tele: 317.232.8248
MP Case # 441-15874
Web: ISP: Contact ISP

Marion County Sheriff’s Office
40 S Alabama Street
Indianapolis, Indiana
Tele: 317.327.1700
Web: MCSO Home

Information Sources:
NAMUS
MP Case # 10533: Missing Person Case
Case Manager: Melissa Gregory
Tele: 817.304.0893
E-Mail: Melissa.Gregory@unthsc.edu

The Charley Project - Vali Elizabeth Davis – The Charley Project

Doe Network Case # 2798DFIN - 2798DFIN - Vali Elizabeth Davis

News/Blogs:
06/29/79 – The Indianapolis News
09/20/79 – The Indianapolis News
10/14/79 – The Indianapolis Star
05/21/89 – The Indianapolis News

2798DFIN - Vali Elizabeth Davis
VDavis.jpg

Name: Vali Elizabeth Davis
Case Classification: Endangered Missing
Missing Since: June 22, 1979
Location Last Seen: Indianapolis, Marion County, Indiana

Physical Description
Date of Birth: July 27, 1955
Race: White
Height: 5'7"
Weight: 110 lbs.
Hair Color: Red/Auburn
Eye Color: Green
Nickname/Alias: Vali Morrison
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown

Identifiers
Dentals: Not Available
Fingerprints: Not Available
DNA:Available

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: black square-neck dress made of quiana material with straps over the shoulders, lace on the sides and an A-line skirt.
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: matching black purse

Circumstances of Disappearance
Davis was last seen at Lucifer's Restaurant at 3510 East 86th Street in Indianapolis on June 24, 1979. She had been there with friends, but no one saw her leave. Davis' mother reported her daughter's failure to return home two days later.

Her vehicle, a copper colored 1976 Ford Pinto was found with the driver's door unlocked in the parking lot of Lucifer's by the Marion County Sheriff's Department. A friend reportedly last saw her at about 2 a.m. walking toward her car that was parked in the lot.

Investigating Agency(s)
Agency Name: Indiana State Police
Agency Contact Person: N/A
Agency Phone Number: (317)-232-8248
Agency E-Mail: N/A
Agency Case Number: 441-15874

Agency Name: Marion County Sheriff's Office
Agency Contact Person: N/A
Agency Phone Number: (317)-327-1700
Agency E-Mail: N/A
Agency Case Number: N/A

NCIC Case Number: Unknown
NamUs Case Number: 10533

Information Source(s)
NamUs
Indiana State Police
The Indianapolis Star
2798DFIN - Vali Elizabeth Davis

She married John R Morrison (age 31) on December 19 1977 at Danville (just outside Indianapolis). This comes from a certificate on Ancestry where name, initial, husbands name and age all match. Apparently she was born in Michigan. John R Morrison is John Russell Morrison (this comes from the record for his previous marriage in 1967, which ended in divorce.

All of this may be irrelevant to the case, but I am surprised that he is not mentioned in any of the stories or sites despite the marriage only having taken place 18 months earlier. I am also a little concerned that there are some criminal records for a John R Morrison, age 72, from Princeton Indiana (and his first marriage was in Princeton). This may or may not be the same man and I will continue to dig.

Does anyone else think she looks a lot like this person: The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Especially the full face photo. Same eyebrows, foreheads, noses and lips. Close in height and weight and she went missing not long before this woman was found.
Highly doubtful. Wrong color eyes. And she was killed just 24 hours before she was found in August. Vali went missing in June. Boy, that was an awful lot of dental work on the Jane Doe! My goodness!

Edit: missed something in the thread, so my question was already answered.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sugarheart27