1024 users online (229 members and 795 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

CO - "The school board is insane. You canít erase our history...."

"....It's not patriotic. It's stupid."

Indeed.

In Colorado, a Student Counterprotest to an Anti-Protest Curriculum (New York Times)
    Last edited by wfgodot; 09-24-2014 at 08:11 AM.

ARVADA, Colo. — A new conservative school board majority here in the Denver suburbs recently proposed a curriculum-review committee to promote patriotism, respect for authority and free enterprise and to guard against educational materials that “encourage or condone civil disorder.”

Like something out of an Orwell novel, isn't it. Absolutely terrifying, to anyone who values freedom.

<modsnip>
    Last edited by Harmony 2; 09-25-2014 at 12:56 PM. Reason: please keep religion and politics off the thread

The thing that's so ridiculous is that if there hadn't been some people willing to defy authority, there'd be no United States today.
    We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now ~ Martin Luther King Jr.

Amen to all posts above!

Towards the end of the school year when this board got voted in they immediately started harassing the superintendent which was Cindy Stevens. She ended up retiring early much to the displeasure of the community. The school board then stated they would run the schools until they found a suitable replacement. The main goal seemed to state that they wanted to privatize the school system. Now this new move is to also remove all violence in the world history AP classes and to only teach about inventions... anything that could be considered feel good history. So our assumption would be lets get rid of WWI and WWII... maybe even Einstein since he came up with the possibility of Nuclear bombs. This school board has been making news in the area since their inception.

Texas school bans seven 'obscene' books on banned books week (Guardian)

---
    Objections were raised to Pulitzer winner David Shiplerís non-fiction title The Working Poor, because it includes a reference to a woman who was sexually abused as a child and had an abortion.
    ---
    According to the local paper, more than 100 people attended a school board meeting about the books, where ďparents and grandparents Ö read excerpts of sex scenes, references to homosexuality, a description of a girlís abduction and a passage that criticised capitalismĒ and ďsent hundreds of emails to district officialsĒ.
    ---
    the rest at the link, plus further links

deja vu? - I will certainly read the links posted here, but I swear they already voted on this and it did not pass.

And IMO if we can not discuss religion or politics in this thread, then there isn't much sense having it.
    "A word after a word after a word is power."
    ~Margaret Atwood~

Anyway, it is very plain that this particular school board is NOT where the buck stops. Or where it starts, for that matter. The board are, however, getting all the flak - and I'm tempted to be happy about that. If it wasn't for the other factors (and factions) involved.

The little bit of research I've done has left me quite shocked and dismayed. But I believe the details regarding that are best expressed in the political section of the forum.

These guys are behind many of the current debacles, including the Colorado atrocity:

The Koch Brothers – Exposed! (Rolling Stone [2012])
    • Charles and David Koch have poured $100 million into right-wing causes. A new film shows their impact on "living, breathing human beings"

Awesome article, W!

Quote Originally Posted by Ausgirl View Post
    Anyway, it is very plain that this particular school board is NOT where the buck stops. Or where it starts, for that matter. The board are, however, getting all the flak - and I'm tempted to be happy about that. If it wasn't for the other factors (and factions) involved.

The little bit of research I've done has left me quite shocked and dismayed. But I believe the details regarding that are best expressed in the political section of the forum.
    I feel about it, at least in metaphor, as Churchill felt about fighting fascism:

We shall fight on the beaches; we shall fight on the landing grounds; we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.

And, while I'm at it, a hearty °No pasarŠn!

I've attempted to open a thread in Political Pavilion regarding the wider scope of this thread.... it's awaiting moderator approval..... IF it's approved, will post link..

fran has very kindly merged my thread with an existing one, re the Koch's.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...thers-Politics

I hope there, we may actually have a chance to discuss the causes and ramifications of this trickle-down agenda that's behind this crazy school stuff.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast