Bye-bye to Debo: Last of Mitfords Passes

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
What a clan they were. (Wiki link)
• "Diana the Fascist, Jessica the Communist, Unity the Hitler-lover; Nancy the
...Novelist; Deborah the Duchess and Pamela the unobtrusive poultry connoisseur."

The Dowager Duchess of Devonshire obituary (Guardian)
• Last of the famous Mitford sisters, she became a successful chatelaine of Chatsworth House

Dowager Duchess of Devonshire - obituary (Telegraph)
• The Dowager Duchess of Devonshire was the devoted chatelaine of Chatsworth and last of the Mitford sisters

Last of the Mitford sisters the Dowager Duchess of Devonshire has died aged 94 (Daily Mail)
• Born Deborah Mitford in 1920, she was the youngest of the six Mitford girls
• Prince of Wales paid tribute to her 'unique personality' and 'original approach to life'
• She had tea with Hitler, with whom her sister, Unity, was besotted, in 1937
• Married Lord Andrew Cavendish in 1941 and moved into Chatsworth House
• Known as Debo, the Duchess had seven children of whom three survived
• Her son, Peregrine, 70, became the 12th Duke when Andrew died in 2004
• They also had daughters Lady Emma, now 71, and Lady Sophia, now 57
• After her husband's death, she left Chatsworth, Derbys, for nearby vicarage

Last of famous Mitford sisters dies at 94 (AP)

Gosh, commentless -- perhaps I've over-estimated the number of WSers who regularly use the word châtelaine as a search term.

Gosh, commentless -- perhaps I've over-estimated the number of WSers who regularly use the word châtelaine as a search term.

I'm embarrassed to say that I saw the subject line and was wondering what a Mitford pass was.:blushing:

Hello wfgodot,
Thank-you! Unlike today when it's the Kardashians 24/7. These were woman whose lives of privilege allowed them to live out their lives on the world stage.

Miss you and ~N/T~ on the Holly Bobo thread.

I thought the following interesting. This is a copy and paste from the 'Comments' from your linked website:
William (Billy) Cavendish, Marquess of Hartington and older brother to Andrew Cavendish, married Kathleen Kennedy in London in 1944. For those of you without a clue, Kathleen Kennedy was a sister to John Kennedy of the Kennedy clan. William Cavendish was shot and killed by a sniper in Belgium during WWII when he was serving with the Guards Armoured Division. Kathleen Kennedy died just a couple of years later in a plane crash in Europe. Fred Astaire's sister, Adele, was married to Charles Cavendish who died of alcoholism in 1938. Well, there you have it.

Anyone interested in this most interesting family is urged to read daughter Decca's 'Hons and Rebels' -- great place to begin.

Then it's on to Nancy's novel 'Love in a Cold Climate' (the title taken from Orwell); then a couple of bios -- perhaps Diana & Unity.

Why the Mitford sisters were the Kardashians of their day (New Statesman)
• These beautiful, wayward young women, who caused such scandal in their time, were the reality
...stars of their day, providing plentiful fodder for the papers, society magazines and gossip rags.

---
Several friends expressed horror when I told them that I was comparing the Mitfords to the Kardashians. One wrote: “The Mitford sisters were wonderful and Love in a Cold Climate is the sort of blissfully perfect yarn you discover in a bookcase at home, pages well-fingered from years of adoration. The Kardashians, however, are the kind of low lives one discovers while being subjected to the treadmill in a gym by virtue of the staff having control over your TV destiny.”
Exactly. The comparison is odious; still, this is worth reading. In defense....

I take his point, but I think what he is objecting to is actually the format in which the Kardashians are presented to us. The works of Nancy and Jessica Mitford were funny, tender, romantic stories, rich with incidental asides and unique characters. Keeping Up with the Kardashians may not compare to the Mitfords’ novels, but the cult of celebrity which surrounds the family, does.
---

The Sisters: The Saga of the Mitford Family, by Mary S. Lovell, is the best book I've read about this fascinating (and annoying) family. When I toured Chatsworth a number of years ago, Debo herself was behind the counter at the gift shop.

I've never heard of them before now ... what a fascinating family.

The Duchess also owned a pub, albeit a rather posh one that's more like a small hotel. Here are clips from an long interview she did with the man who leases and runs that pub, when she held a book-signing event there.

The full, unedited interview in two parts can be seen at this link. It was a mistake for me to watch it because it's Sunday, and seeing that pub has made me long for an English, Sunday pub lunch with proper Yorkshire puddings. The nearest I'll get here in Germany is Sauerkraut and knodels. It's just not the same. :(
http://www.theswanswinbrook.co.uk/the-mitfords/

[video=youtu;LntDwmvZxag]http://youtu.be/LntDwmvZxag[/video]

I believe I've read every book by and about the Mitford girls. So sorry Deborah's gone.

This Telegraph article seems to have eluded me:

Deborah Devonshire interview: Elvis, Hitler and the Mitford sisters

• In this 2007 interview, 'Debo', Dowager Duchess of Devonshire, talks about her relationships with her famous sisters and her love for Elvis Presley

---
With one sister imprisoned for being a Nazi sympathiser and another who was so besotted with Hitler that she shot herself, one might assume that some stigma would have stuck to the Mitford name during the war. Deborah, though, insists that she was never aware of any. 'I mean, I'm sure there must have been, but I certainly never lost any friends as a result. They were just very sad for all the horrible things that had happened.'

'What did you think of Oswald Mosley?'

'Oh, I loved him,' she says without hesitation.
---
One feels one's admiration for the youngest Mitford sink to rock bottom here. In fact, this sums up the odiousness of the family's world-view. Only Nancy, Decca, and perhaps Pam appeared unaffected by the brutality of its right-wing pomposity.

Another elusive one, this from Guardian, 2010:

The Duchess of Devonshire: 'When you are very old, you cry over some things, but not a lot'

• The Duchess of Devonshire, youngest of the Mitford sisters, talks about meeting Hitler and why she doesn't like change

---
Why are you a Conservative, I ask her, which later I think may be a stupid question, given that the Devonshires own Chatsworth, thousands of acres of the Derbyshire countryside, a castle in Ireland, and half a dozen other residences. "I like conserving things," she says circularly. "I like people to stay as they are, though I know they can't." Stumblingly, I point out that at the Guardian we do not wholly approve of dukes, duchesses and other feudal throwbacks. How does she justify them? Her answer is characteristically lateral. "There are two retired head gardeners here," she says, "both of whom have done 50 years at Chatsworth, and they are just such extraordinary people that if you could sit and talk to them you would learn some things that you would never have known. They are just wonderful, and it's really the company of them and the people who work on the farms that I like best of all."

She says time-honoured hierarchies are better than faceless modern conglomerates; the 600 or so people employed at Chatsworth know who they should moan at if things go wrong. "There's always been access to the top here. There's a human. You can laugh at them, you can dislike them, but they're there."
---
Ah well.

Jezebel, characteristically worth a look, plus accompanying links*:

The Last of the Titanically Eccentric Mitford Sisters Has Died

---
Their parents didn't think that girls needed much in the way of formal schooling, which is likely a major reason their childhood eccentricities ran completely amuck in adulthood. Really there's no point in any hipster attempting to cultivate any affectations ever, given that the Mitfords once existed on this planet.
---
*e.g., from The Toast in 2013, and worth a gander:

Force-Ranking the Mitford Sisters

1. Jessica: “You may not be able to change the world, but at least you can embarrass the guilty.”
2. Nancy: “If I had a girl I should say to her, ‘Marry for love if you can, it won’t last, but it is a very interesting experience and makes a good beginning in life. Later on, when you marry for money, for heaven’s sake let it be big money. There are no other possible reasons for marrying at all.” (Christmas Pudding)
3. Pam: “She had a great way with animals and introduced the Appenzeller Spitzhauben breed of chicken to Britain from Switzerland. She knew all about the mysteries of home-made yoghurt, compost heaps, ‘curing one’s own hams’, ‘making soup out of one’s head’, and growing rare varieties of vegetables long before such things became fashionable.”
4. Debo: STILL ALIVE. [victory lap]
5. Unity: Mentally ill Nazi sympathizer.
6. Diana: Nazi sympathizer without the excuse of mental illness.
More at the links above; and I heartily concur with these rankings.

But back to Debo....

The Last Mitford

• When the Deborah, Dowager Duchess of Devonshire, gave a glimpse into the magical, maniacal Mitford world. One of her last ever interviews, published in the March 2010 issue of Tatler...

---
Debo has always rather cultivated the myth of her own stupidity, selling herself as deeply unlettered and ignorant and consistently declaring her ennui when faced with a book. It seems to me that where most people pretend to have read the books they haven't, Debo has tended to err on the side of pretending not to have read the books that she has. 'There may be a substratum of truth in that,' she admits. 'That was to get out of talking about them for hours.'
---
the rest at Tatler link above

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken