737 users online (89 members and 648 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

SC - Columbia, WhtFem UP12594, 35-50, schizophrenia, died in hospital, Feb'82

Estimated age Adult
    Minimum age 35 years
    Maximum age 50 years
    Race White
    Ethnicity
    Sex Female
    Weight (pounds) 134, Measured
    Height (inches) 60, Measured

Hair color Brown
    Left eye color Blue
    Right eye color Blue
    Circumstances

Jane Doe was a patient at SC Sate Hospital who was unable to provide her own name. Patient died as the result of a fall on 02/15/1982.
    https://identifyus.org/en/cases/12594

I wonder how long she was a patient at the hospital? This was 1982, so quite some time after deinstitutionalization of the mentally ill. She must have had a pretty severe illness to be residing there. I guess she had an accident on the campus and died?

Not much information to go on. So sad.

Quote Originally Posted by annemc2 View Post
    I wonder how long she was a patient at the hospital? This was 1982, so quite some time after deinstitutionalization of the mentally ill. She must have had a pretty severe illness to be residing there. I guess she had an accident on the campus and died?

Not much information to go on. So sad.
    The wording is confusing. The way I first read it was that she was hurt in a fall and was transported to the hospital, but was too injured to give her name and eventually died. Your version makes sense too, though.

I wish they'd be more specific and say whether she was a patient who died as a result of a fall in the hospital, if she fell outside and was transported to the hospital where an employee recognized her as a former patient who'd recently been released, etc. I also wish they'd say how long she had been in that hospital, what name (if any) she used, and what mental illness she was there for.

I was thinking, there's the ''revolving door'' in psychiatry where a patient will be hospitalized for a short time, released, hospitalized again, released again, etc. If this is the case with the UID, then there have to be records of her in other hospitals or institutions, right? Maybe not in the area, but somewhere else in the state or even country. Unfortunately, it'd be extremely difficult (if not impossible) to find records of her like that. And this was 32 years ago, so they probably don't even exist anymore. : /

It looks like you can access the records from this hospital (in person):

http://thedeadlibrarian.blogspot.com...l-records.html

Cemetery records, probably not helpful:

http://www.richlandlibrary.com/sites...etery_list.pdf

History:

http://www.state.sc.us/dmh/history.htm

Did you notice this in Namus? I'm guessing it's an error:

Body conditions
    Not recognizable - Near complete or complete skeleton

It's interesting to see others thoughts on this. Because I have worked in psychiatry as a nurse and NP, I immediately jumped to conclusions as to what happened.

When I saw the "State Hospital" part I gathered that she was chronically mentally ill and had been likely committed for weeks, months, or years. The only place that I've ever seen or taken photographs of a patient are for psych hospital charts. Back in the late 70s and early 80s patients would stay at the psych hospital for an indefinite amount of time and that "revolving door" hadn't really started swinging. Insurers and the government were still paying for care.

Which leads to the really weird part. We've seen cases where people are in legal limbo because they do not have a name/ID (notably Benjaman...ooh, I'm forgetting - need moar coffee). How would this woman have been committed, legally, without identification? Perhaps the legalities/billing were a bit more lax at the time?

So with the data provided my brain jumped to this: Jane Doe committed to SC State Hosp for severe mental illness. On 2/15/82 she disappears and is unable to be located. Later on her skeletal remains were found on the grounds and it is determined that she perished as a result of an accidental fall. The state of the remains matches up closely enough with the date last seen so they call 2/15/82 as the date of death. Nobody wanted to admit that this woman might have been out there for days before she succumbed to her injuries. Or, the injuries were so severe (e.g. skull fracture) that immediate death from her injuries was probable. Just speculation.

So yeah - more information would be very helpful!!
    Last edited by annemc2; 09-26-2014 at 11:26 AM.

I'm assuming that she entered the hospital not due to a fault, since the colour photo of her is an admission photo, and she appears in good shape there. One thing I noticed is that in the admission photo, she has perfectly plucked eye brows.

However, frustratingly we don't know: When she entered the hospital, and FROM where either. She may well have been sent to the state hospital from elsewhere in SC... Grr, frustrating because there's so little info to work with.

First person I thought of was Charlotte Heimann, but she's substantially younger and has a much larger chin.

I wonder what was on the photo that causes it to be distorted

Quote Originally Posted by astridxx View Post
    I wonder what was on the photo that causes it to be distorted
    Looks like one of those old style instant cameras they used for ID photos. The kind that took 2 or 4 pictures at the same time. They'd sometimes get wonky.
    Unless I've provided a link, most of what I say is my own opinion. Sometimes, I'm thinking out loud and may explore avenues I don't necessarily think are true, but I'm always aware I could be wrong, so I check other stuff out.

I assumed that she was in the state hospital for mental health issues and fell (or jumped?) to her death while she was there. I did dig up some stuff that mentions that conditions at that hospital weren't so great at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by vermontaigne View Post
    First person I thought of was Charlotte Heimann, but she's substantially younger and has a much larger chin.
    I don't really think it's her either, but that was a great suggestion.

Heimann wasn't mentally ill (that we know of) but knew about "forced" medical care in that she knew she would be safe from her abuser in a hospital if she feigned suicidal thoughts.

I mean no offense toward the mentally ill (I'm a bit "touched in the head" myself), but she looks too "with it" to be in a mental hospital. By that, I mean it looks like she takes care for herself and her appearance. Her eyebrows are sculpted. Her hair is not out of whack. I'm pretty sure she is wearing make up and that it doesn't look sloppily applied.

Heimann knew about the suicide rule and used it to hide from her abuser. She knew that it would let her hide out in the hospital for X-days. Maybe this is someone else running from something (abuser or even the law) who also knew she would be safe for a bit in a hospital.

From the bagginess around her eyes and the softness along her jaw, I would guess that she's most likely closer to 50 than to 35.

The wording in the description of her circumstances made me think, "Coverup." Or at least, "Gloss over the details."
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)

Quote Originally Posted by annemc2 View Post
    It's interesting to see others thoughts on this. Because I have worked in psychiatry as a nurse and NP, I immediately jumped to conclusions as to what happened.

When I saw the "State Hospital" part I gathered that she was chronically mentally ill and had been likely committed for weeks, months, or years. The only place that I've ever seen or taken photographs of a patient are for psych hospital charts. Back in the late 70s and early 80s patients would stay at the psych hospital for an indefinite amount of time and that "revolving door" hadn't really started swinging. Insurers and the government were still paying for care.

Which leads to the really weird part. We've seen cases where people are in legal limbo because they do not have a name/ID (notably Benjaman...ooh, I'm forgetting - need moar coffee). How would this woman have been committed, legally, without identification? Perhaps the legalities/billing were a bit more lax at the time?

So with the data provided my brain jumped to this: Jane Doe committed to SC State Hosp for severe mental illness. On 2/15/82 she disappears and is unable to be located. Later on her skeletal remains were found on the grounds and it is determined that she perished as a result of an accidental fall. The state of the remains matches up closely enough with the date last seen so they call 2/15/82 as the date of death. Nobody wanted to admit that this woman might have been out there for days before she succumbed to her injuries. Or, the injuries were so severe (e.g. skull fracture) that immediate death from her injuries was probable. Just speculation.

So yeah - more information would be very helpful!!
    If she were an immediate danger to herself or others -- in a psychotic break, for instance, or wielding scissors at the nurses, or brought in after a suicide attempt, she could have been committed involuntarily. She would probably have been considered a ward of the state.
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)

How about Bettina Minnie Antone? A long way from home but went missing two years prior. Mental health issues fit. Also says she has a mole on her left cheek which I can maybe see on the UID but the photo isn't that clear...

http://doenetwork.org/cases/763dfca.html

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast