UT UT - Nancy Perry Baird, 23, East Layton, 1975

DavidJoseph

Reaction score
I'm surprised there isn't a thread on this girl.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2630dfut.html

Nancy Perry Baird

Case Classification: Endangered Missing
Missing Since: July 4, 1975
Location Last Seen: East Layton, Davis County, Utah
Physical Description

** Listed information is from the time of disappearance.
Date of Birth: January 14, 1952
Age at Time of Disappearance: 23 years old
Race: White
Height at Time of Disappearance: 5'3"
Weight at Time of Disappearance: 100 lbs.
Hair Color: Reddish-blonde, long and straight
Eye Color: Hazel
Alias(s) / Nickname(s): Nancy Perry
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Small scars on the inside of each wrist.
Dentals: Available
Fingerprints: Available
DNA: Pending
Clothing & Personal Items

Clothing: Blue shorts, blue halter top, a light blue pinstriped smock with a Fina Station symbol.
Jewelry: Known to wear a small ruby ring on her pinky finger. This ring had a main ruby stone with two smaller rubies on each side and was set in gold.
Additional Personal Items: Unknown
Circumstances of Disappearance

Nancy Baird was last seen working as a service station attendant at the Triangle Oil Company's Fina gas station at 200 South Highway 89 in East Layton, Utah. A police officer on patrol saw her at her place of employment less than 15 minutes before she was discovered missing at 5:30 P.M. Her purse and car were left at the station.

Nancy had a four-year-old son and it is unlikely that she would have willingly left.

The Charley Project also has an entry on her, and it says she may have been a victim of Ted Bundy, although he never confessed to her murder. In fact, I read somewhere that he denied it. Nevertheless, have these unidentified remains been eliminated or no? http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/751ufut.html

This is right off Highway 89, just a few miles south of where Nancy was working.

http://www.standard.net/Police-Fire/2015/02/05/Hiker-finds-what-may-be-a-human-skull.html

Davis County Sheriff’s Sgt. DeeAnn Servey said a man who was hiking along North Mountain Road in Fruit Heights noticed something white in the bushes...

As of 8 p.m., investigators were searching but had not found any other bones accompanying the skull.

Servey said tests need to be done to determine if it is a human skull. “It appears it has been there awhile,” Servey said.

This abduction seems a bit different from Bundy's MO; he liked to get them to his car and then hit them on the head. But it's possible he got her to go outside with him, especially if she pumped gas for customers. If this was a full-service station, simply pulling up to the pump would bring her out, then all he would have to do is get out of the car and abduct her.

Feb 7th, 2015: Update on UID found exactly five miles south on the same highway as Nancy Baird disappeared from.
I can see the place Nancy Baird disappeared from, from my living room window.
We've lived in the neighborhood since 1973 (even before our home was built).
I have followed the case and know that Bundy used his credit card at that location, at least once (per the East Layton police).
Nancy Baird is THE most logical identity of these remains. At the time Nancy disappeared, there were no homes above that hill and there was easy access.
KSL-TV reported that the remains "could have been there since the 1970s".

Family waiting word on human skull found in Davis County

SALT LAKE CITY (ABC 4 Utah) – The family of Nancy Baird have had their hopes dashed in the past.
So after hearing about a human skull found in Davis County earlier this month, they are not getting overly excited until a positive identification is made.
Baird disappeared on the 4th of July in 1975 never to be heard from again. Ted Bundy who was executed in 1989 was suspected of murdering her.
She was declared dead in 1995 despite no trace of her remains.

They will only say the bones are older than 10 years.

more at link

http://www.good4utah.com/story/d/st...l-found-in-davis/17449/tgIfnh7EY0-XODL3KGF-Yw

She does not fit the profile, either physically or circumstantially, to be one of Ted Bundy's victims.

Her disappearance is similar to Cheryl Scherer's, which happened about four years later:

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/scherer_cheryl.html

Both were petite and redheaded; both worked at gas stations and disappeared on the job; both had an extremely small window of time in which to disappear.

The only difference I can see(besides location) is that Cheryl's disappearance was accompanied by a robbery.

http://archive.sltrib.com/story.php?ref=/sltrib/news/58129359-78/baird-bundy-case-july.html.csp#&ui-state=dialog
[h=2]Nancy Perry Baird[/h]
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• baird_070414~0.jpg
    baird_070414~0.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 54
  • baird_070414~1.jpg
    baird_070414~1.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 54
The Charley Project also has an entry on her, and it says she may have been a victim of Ted Bundy, although he never confessed to her murder. In fact, I read somewhere that he denied it. Nevertheless, have these unidentified remains been eliminated or no? http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/751ufut.html

I wonder if Bundy was near the place where she disappeared. Maybe some of his gas tickets can link him

I read somewhere that she had some little scars in her wrists suggesting that she might be suicidal. But I wonder, if that is the case, why they did not find her body? If you are going to comit suicide you are going to do it anywhere not in a really hidden place (that according to the timeline of the case must be 15 minutes or less than the place where Nancy was last seen).
I think that the time frame is really small for a suicide, even more if she went on foot, since her car was in the work place.
I am almost sure that somebody kidnapped her. I think there were witnesses that saw a truck near the place.

'Young Davis Woman Missing From Station Job; Abducted?' - The Ogden Standard-Examiner, July 7th 1975
vickihollar.jpg

'Police Question Friends of Missing Woman, 23' - The Daily Herald (Provo, Utah), July 7th 1975
The_Daily_Herald_Mon__Jul_7__1975_.jpg

'Help Sought to Locate Woman, 23' - The Daily Herald (Provo, Utah) July 10th1975
nancybaird2.jpg

'Case of Missing Mother Baffles Officers in Davis' - The Ogden Standard-Examiner, July 15th 1975
nancybaird3.jpg

'Authorities Still Baffled By Missing Woman, 23' - The Ogden Standard-Examiner, Sept 2nd 1975
nancypbaird4.jpg

'Missing Layton Woman Spotted? Story Checked' - The Ogden Standard-Examiner, Sept 5th 1975
nancypbaird5.jpg

'Human Hair Found in Davis Mountains' - The Ogden Standard-Examiner, Nov 19th 1975
attachment.php
It seems that they ruled out Debbie Kent and the hairs didn´t match Nancy´s? Have they kept the hairs as evidence? If they did maybe some DNA tests can be done !! Sometimes other types of analysis are not 100% accurate

• nancy_perry_baird_1.jpg
  • nancy_perry_baird_2.jpg

Details of Disappearance
Baird was last seen at the Fina gas station in the 200 block of south Highway 89 in East Layton, Utah on July 4, 1975. She was employed there as a service station attendant. A police officer on patrol saw her working alone there, and at 5:30 p.m., less than fifteen minutes later, she was discovered missing.

There was no evidence of robbery and no indications of a struggle, but about $10 worth of gasoline from the station's pumps had not been paid for. Baird's car was found locked and parked in the station lot where she'd left it, and her purse was inside the station, containing her medication and $167 in cash from from a recently cashed check.

Investigators questioned Baird's her ex-husband and two male friends, in her case. All of them had been out of state at the time she disappeared and passed polygraph examinations, so they were cleared of suspicion.Baird left behind a four-year-old son. It's considered unlikely that she would have left of her own free will. Just before her disappearance, witnesses saw a truck at the station; it was never identified and it's unclear whether it had anything to do with her case.

Authorities believe Baird was a victim of the serial killer Theodore Robert "Ted" Bundy, who was executed in Florida in 1989. A photo of Bundy is posted with this case summary. He was convicted of several murders and is suspected in scores more, including in the disappearances of Ann Marie Burr, Lynette Culver, Julie Cunningham, Susan Curtis, Georgeann Hawkins, Vicki Hollar, Rita Jolly, Debra Kent, Donna Manson, Denise Oliverson and many other girls and young women. The women continue to be listed as missing persons. Their remains have never been recovered.

It should be noted, however, that Bundy never confessed to Baird's murder and in several ways her abduction doesn't fit the profile of his other crimes. Bundy never drove a truck, and Baird was the only presumed victim to be abducted from a gas station. Baird's case remains open and unsolved.

Nancy Perry Baird – The Charley Project

If someone kidnapped her, he had a very small window of time in which to do it and he risked being caught while doing it. Typically it seems like convenience stores are pretty busy on July 4th with people popping in to buy things like ice, beer, and last minute items for cookouts.

While Bundy was known for being able to abduct women in a very short amount of time, I doubt he is the perpetrator. It doesn't fit his MO very well to abduct a woman from a store during the day. Then again, of the "fever" to abduct and kill a woman was on him and he couldn't resist taking action, he might have risked being seen. He could have put his trusty arm sling on or placed a crutch under his arm and asked her to help him to carry his purchases to his vehicle. Then he could have made away with her quickly.

Overall I don't think Bundy was the perp, but we will probably never know how many women he abducted and murdered, so some of his crimes may have deviated from his usuaI MO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back