Canada - BC Man seen carrying 'unconscious' child into woods nr Abbotsford

zwiebel

Reaction score
An active search is underway after a driver in Abbotsford, British Columbia, says he saw a little girl lying motionless at the side of the road Tuesday, around 6pm, with a man standing over her. The man then picked up the little girl - thought to be aged around 6 - 10 and wearing a pink jacket - and carried her into the woods.

Police say they 'don't know what to make of the report' but that the driver is 'credible'.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...to-bushes-abbotsford-driver-reports-1.2783433

I don't know what to think either with so little info but hope they act soon and see what the situation is. Have they issued an Amber Alert?

Okay thank you. I'm from Ireland so don't really even know much about the amber alert but guessed one might have been issued. Thank you for the update :) I hope the police search get's whatever this situation is under control. :)

Kind regards!

Are there any missing girls from that area? Thank you to the observant witness who called it in.

there are specific criteria for an amber alert, such as identity of the child but MSM has already picked up the story and police are already searching in the area so an amber alert wouldn't really accomplish much anyway IMO

This is really worrying me. Numerous reports, apparently, of sightings of the child earlier, with the man. Police think he could be a parent/guardian. But nothing has been found and nobody has come forward.

And just why was the child lying 'motionless' at the side of the highway at 6pm? Why did 'dad' have to pick her up and carry her?

I am just wondering/hoping, that maybe the little girl has autism? Or even just severe temper tantrums, and was refusing to move? But then....why walk into the woods? Do any locals know if there are campgrounds or houses there?

Okay thank you. I'm from Ireland so don't really even know much about the amber alert but guessed one might have been issued. Thank you for the update :) I hope the police search get's whatever this situation is under control. :)

Kind regards!

Think it's very similar to the missing Child Alert UK, though I don't know if that's used in S. as well as N. Ireland.

This is really worrying me. Numerous reports, apparently, of sightings of the child earlier, with the man. Police think he could be a parent/guardian. But nothing has been found and nobody has come forward.

And just why was the child lying 'motionless' at the side of the highway at 6pm? Why did 'dad' have to pick her up and carry her?

I am just wondering/hoping, that maybe the little girl has autism? Or even just severe temper tantrums, and was refusing to move? But then....why walk into the woods? Do any locals know if there are campgrounds or houses there?

I'm not local but looking at the map, it's a really odd place for a man and his daughter to be. It's an industrial area filled with warehouses. There's a map at this link:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...n-spotted-carrying-girl-into-bushes-1.2783628

The location is MacCallum Rd. and Enterprise Avenue. The witness saw him carry the girl off into the wooded area on the left. The closest houses are on Maclure Rd. Maybe they live in that area?

Notice how close it is to the U.S. border and two major highways - 11, which is a route for border crossings, and the Trans-Canada Hwy. That may not mean anything but...

So far no updates. Such a strange story. I hope it has a happy ending.

Update - The search for the young girl has been called off after no trace of the pair was found. According to Cst. Ian MacDonald there are no outstanding missing person's reports nor was there a report made about a missing child following the witnesses report.

More at the link. The RCMP are asking the man to come forward so they can verify the well-being of the little girl. Not a satisfying conclusion - hopefully he will contact the police and explain what happened. Until then my hink antenna will continue to twitch.

http://www.kelownanow.com/news/bc_n...f_Girl_Being_Carried_into_Woods_in_Abbotsford

Police haven't given up investigating this case.

Press release today from the Abbotsford Police Department:

APD NEWS RELEASE:
APD FILE # 14-38004 RELEASE # 2
DATE OF RELEASE: October 3, 2014
Incident: Update to Suspicious Circumstances
Abbotsford – October 3, 2014

The Abbotsford Police Department’s investigation into this suspicious incident is
continuing. There have been no missing person reports involving young girls to date
and all girls enrolled in school in the district have been accounted for. Nonetheless, we
are still seeking definitive answers to ensure the well-being of the child involved and to
explain the observations of the very credible witness.

APD investigators have reviewed security video from the area and would like to speak
with the drivers and occupants of two vehicles
that were captured travelling on
Enterprise Avenue just after 6:00 pm on Tuesday, September 30, 2014.

1 – A full sized white, extended cab pick-up truck with a long box and a black bed liner
drove northbound on Turner Street and turned westbound (left) onto Enterprise Avenue.

2 – A smaller red pick-up truck drove eastbound on Enterprise Avenue and turned
northbound (left) onto Turner Street.

These drivers and occupants may have observed something that could assist our
investigation and they should immediately contact the Abbotsford Police Department at
604-859-5225 or text us at 222973 (abbypd).

and from Global News...

http://globalnews.ca/news/1591735/abbotsford-police-looking-for-young-girl-seen-lying-by-the-side-of-the-road/

Images of the 'witness' trucks...LE would like to speak to these potential witnesses:

trucks-abbotsford.png

I wish I knew exactly where the man and girl were seen (i.e. more specific than Enterprise Ave. and McCallum Rd.). This strikes me as an odd area to see pedestrians and I presume that that is one factor that made the original reporting driver take notice.

The potential witnesses that LE are now looking for both drove along Enterprise (to/from Turner, away/towards McCallum).

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Abbotsford,+BC+V2S/@49.0604834,-122.2919882,947m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x54843579c11aab21:0x82ca353373933953?hl=en

I find this case very unsettling.

Let's keep in mind that the US border is VERY close to where this incident took place. I presume that it would be difficult for someone to get over the border with a child. Is there an 'unattended' crossing anywhere near here?

LE said they checked with the local school board for absences of young girls. What about homeschooled children? what about children who just moved here from other provinces or as immigrants?

Let's keep in mind that the US border is VERY close to where this incident took place. I presume that it would be difficult for someone to get over the border with a child. Is there an 'unattended' crossing anywhere near here?

LE said they checked with the local school board for absences of young girls. What about homeschooled children? what about children who just moved here from other provinces or as immigrants?

Thanks so much for the updated update! This one has me puzzled and concerned too.

As far as border crossings go, I often cross at Blaine, which is west of Sumas/Abbotsford, because truckers use it and it isn't as busy as Peace Arch. I assume Sumas/Abbotsford is the same. Some of the crossings east of there only operate during certain hours.

http://www.ezbordercrossing.com/lis...shington-state/sumas-huntingdon/#.VC94ovldWSo

The Blaine crossing is pretty lax about cars and if Abbotsford is similar I can easily see someone getting across the border with a kid in the trunk with no problem. Hopefully that's not the case here.

I just can't see a plausible explanation for any of the circumstances - warehouse/industrial area, semi- or unconcsious child being carried off into bushes. I'm still wondering if the police searched any of the buildings.

“The young girl appeared to be fine, in good spirits, in close proximity to this adult male. It appears as though they knew each other, and those reports came in, I would say, up to several minutes before our complainant phoned up reporting see the child lying down.”

http://www.cknw.com/2014/10/01/abbotsford-police-scraping-for-details-in-possible-missing-girl-case/

I wish I knew exactly where the man and girl were seen (i.e. more specific than Enterprise Ave. and McCallum Rd.). This strikes me as an odd area to see pedestrians and I presume that that is one factor that made the original reporting driver take notice.

The potential witnesses that LE are now looking for both drove along Enterprise (to/from Turner, away/towards McCallum).

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Abbotsford,+BC+V2S/@49.0604834,-122.2919882,947m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x54843579c11aab21:0x82ca353373933953?hl=en

I find this case very unsettling.

I can see why you want a more specific location. Something's a little off with the part about the man carrying the girl into the treed area. According to the reports the witness doesn't say anything about the man crossing the parking lot or going past the buildings abutting the trees, s/he just says he carried her into the treed area.

I wish the police would share more information. Did the witness hang around long enough to actually see the man go off into the woods or did s/he just assume that's where he was headed?

I'm really at a loss in these cases but......does anyone know if laying down and refusing to move might be something a child with autism might do?

I'm really at a loss in these cases but......does anyone know if laying down and refusing to move might be something a child with autism might do?

Yes.

Really, it's something any child that age might do if they're tired and cranky and hungry.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GravityHurts
Back