1176 users online (219 members and 957 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

MI - Detroit, WhtFem UP12001, 25-35, in attic, '86 concert TShirt, Nov'89

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/12001 ***WARNING Graphic Images***

Found November 29, 1989 in the attic of a rental house at 5324 Grandy Street, Detroit, MI. (House appears to have been since demolished/removed).

Age Range: 25 - 35
    Sex: Female
    Race: White
    Height: 67"
    Weight: N/A
    Hair: Long, Straight, described as "Dishwater Blonde"
    Body Condition: Badly decomposed/mummified
    Clothing: White T-Shirt promoting the Bob Dylan/Tom Petty True Confessions Tour in 1986 [image above]; blue denim jacket; sweatshirt; light blue Gap brand jeans; shoes; socks

The Bob Dylan/Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers True Confessions Tour did come through Michigan in the summer of 1986. They played two consecutive shows at the Pine Knob Music Theater in Clarkston, MI on June 30th and July 1st. They played a few other concerts in the Midwest on this tour (Indianapolis; Minneapolis; East Troy, WI; Chicago, & Akron, OH).

The UID, of course, could have gotten the shirt elsewhere, but there's a good likelihood she attended one of those two Pine Knob shows.
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 10-04-2014 at 12:02 AM.

First thought is Margie Ann Ranshaw.

LKA: May 17, 1987; fits range for UID 1986-1989
    Hair: Dirty blonde, long, straight; fits perfectly with long, straight, "dishwater blonde"
    LKL: Barryton, MI; about 200 miles NNW of Detroit, but car found abandoned half way between

The clothing may be a bit off for mid-May weather?

It can be pretty cool in Michigan at any time of the year, especially in the evening and early morning, so a sweatshirt doesn't seem out of line.

Map shows Barrytown, where she was last seen; the place where the concert was (it has a new name); Howell MI where her car was found, and the Detroit address where the remains were found: https://goo.gl/maps/MN4w9 But it seems like the only way she could have the shirt is if she left willingly, went to the concert at the end of June or beginning of July, and then ran into trouble. Since her car was found "weeks" later, that's possible.
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)

Quote Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
    It can be pretty cool in Michigan at any time of the year, especially in the evening and early morning, so a sweatshirt doesn't seem out of line.

Map shows Barrytown, where she was last seen; the place where the concert was (it has a new name); Howell MI where her car was found, and the Detroit address where the remains were found: https://goo.gl/maps/MN4w9 But it seems like the only way she could have the shirt is if she left willingly, went to the concert at the end of June or beginning of July, and then ran into trouble. Since her car was found "weeks" later, that's possible.
    The concert was a year prior to the disappearance.

June 30, 1986: Concert in Clarkston, MI
    May 17, 1987: Leaves to buy milk, Barryton, MI
    ~June 7, 1987: Car found in Howell, MI
    Nov 29, 1989: UID discovered in Detroit, MI

So, the concert is mainly relevant if someone remembers a missing person having attended it. The MI connection is there, anyway.

Although Margie's DNA has been entered, the UID has not be tested. The UIDs dentals have been entered, but Margie's have not. Can anyone make an amateur comparison of the dentals and the photos?

Quote Originally Posted by coonhound View Post
    The concert was a year prior to the disappearance.

June 30, 1986: Concert in Clarkston, MI
    May 17, 1987: Leaves to buy milk, Barryton, MI
    ~June 7, 1987: Car found in Howell, MI
    Nov 29, 1989: UID discovered in Detroit, MI

So, the concert is mainly relevant if someone remembers a missing person having attended it. The MI connection is there, anyway.

Although Margie's DNA has been entered, the UID has not be tested. The UIDs dentals have been entered, but Margie's have not. Can anyone make an amateur comparison of the dentals and the photos?
    Thanks, I read the dates backwards. *slaps head* Time to go to bed...
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)

***WARNING Graphic Image***

Dental comparison:

UID Comparison.png

They don't look like the same teeth to me. The UID's teeth have a very straight biting edges of her central incisors (#8 & #9). Margie's are curved.

Also, the UID's #10 incisor steps up slightly at the biting edge. Margie's #10 biting edge is on an even plane with her #8 and #9, and her #10 incisor leans a little bit. I don't see that lean with the UID's #10.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlK90245 View Post
    They don't look like the same teeth to me. The UID's teeth have a very straight biting edges of her central incisors (#8 & #9). Margie's are curved.

Also, the UID's #10 incisor steps up slightly at the biting edge. Margie's #10 biting edge is on an even plane with her #8 and #9, and her #10 incisor leans a little bit. I don't see that lean with the UID's #10.
    Thanks Carl

I would love to know more about how this UID was found. She was only in the attic of the rental house for just under two and a half years, so who was renting the house during that time and who found her?

Wow. Coonhound - have you sent in Margie Ranshaw as a tip to investigators?

Complete long shot, but what about searching footage of any video from selected, narrowed down dates on this tour, specifically the Michigan ones? Maybe the band has footage they might be willing to copy and send?

Also, concert shirts often sell out and different versions are then sold. I wonder if we can find out which concert dates these shirts were sold?

According to this Vintage Tshirt Ebay store that is asking over $200 for a mint Tom Petty 1986 tour shirt, the label and producer of that particular 1986 shirt is The Tshirt Supply Corporation and it was Made in the USA

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/like/12135415...ectorid=229529

Quote Originally Posted by coonhound View Post
    https://identifyus.org/en/cases/12001 ***WARNING Graphic Images***

Found November 29, 1989 in the attic of a rental house at 5324 Grandy Street, Detroit, MI. (House appears to have been since demolished/removed).

Age Range: 25 - 35
    Sex: Female
    Race: White
    Height: 67"
    Weight: N/A
    Hair: Long, Straight, described as "Dishwater Blonde"
    Body Condition: Badly decomposed/mummified
    Clothing: White T-Shirt promoting the Bob Dylan/Tom Petty True Confessions Tour in 1986 [image above]; blue denim jacket; sweatshirt; light blue Gap brand jeans; shoes; socks

The Bob Dylan/Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers True Confessions Tour did come through Michigan in the summer of 1986. They played two consecutive shows at the Pine Knob Music Theater in Clarkston, MI on June 30th and July 1st. They played a few other concerts in the Midwest on this tour (Indianapolis; Minneapolis; East Troy, WI; Chicago, & Akron, OH).

The UID, of course, could have gotten the shirt elsewhere, but there's a good likelihood she attended one of those two Pine Knob shows.
    I'm getting a bit frustrated because I can't find this t-shirt in any form from 1986.

All the other Concert T-Shirts from that tour do not look like that. Why?

I, myself, have bought a "knock off" concert t-shirt from a street vendor outside a venue to save $$ before. They are usually simple and not heavily detailed like the one found on the deceased however, so, I don't really lean towards that theory.

Detroit, WhtFem UP#12001, 25-35, Bob Dylan "True Confessions" Concert Shirt, Nov'89

This one caught my eye because NamUs has several large, very clear pictures of the teeth and distinctive shirt.

UP#12001

DEMOGRAPHICS

Race: Caucasian
    Se: Female
    Height: 67 inches (5'7)
    Body conditions: Mummified
    Date of death: 1986 to 1989

CIRCUMSTANCES

Found: November 29, 1989
    The body of a badly decoposed female was found in the attic of a rental home in the city of Detroit. She was wearing a Bob Dylan/Tom Petty concert t-shirt from the True Confessions tour in 1986.

PHYSICAL

Hair color: Long, straight, dishwater blonde

CLOTHING

Light blue "GAP" brand jeans, sweatshirt, Bob Dylan/Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers concert t-shirt from the True Confessions Tour in 1986, Blue Jean jacket, shoes, socks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast