Four years on, zoo discovers why hyena mating hasn't worked

zwiebel

Reaction score
After four years of trying, a Japanese zoo just realized they've been trying to persuade two male hyenas to mate.

'Maruyama Zoo in Sapporo said it had been given the spotted hyenas, Kami and Kamutori, as a "male and female pair" as part of an exchange with a South Korean zoo in 2010.
After the two animals struggled to reproduce, the zoo conducted a gender test under anaesthesia.'

The Zoo says spotting external genitalia is difficult and it will now be looking for a female.
http://www.itv.com/news/2014-10-03/...rying-to-mate-two-male-hyenas-for-four-years/

Photo link: http://ccsbio.blogspot.com/2012/04/fasting-for-lent-forces-hyenas-to.html

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 101
I read this earlier today and just shook my head. If only all mysteries could be solved this easily (though I am surprised it took 4 years)...

Can't a person just tell by the way they pee, like dogs?

Haha! Guess they aren't gay hyenas.

I am assuming they were "laughing hyenas". :blushing:

Nobody both to confirm the testicles were, in fact... testicles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Female hyenas develop genitalia that mimic the male one perfectly, most of the time surpassing them in size.

Although the genitalia of the male spotted hyena is typical by mammalian standards, that of the female closely resembles that of the male; the clitoris is shaped and positioned like a penis, and is capable of erection. The female also possesses no external vagina (vaginal opening), as the labia are fused to form a pseudo-scrotum. The pseudo-penis is traversed to its tip by a central urogenital canal, through which the female urinates, copulates and gives birth.[48][49] The pseudo-penis can be distinguished from the males' genitalia by its greater thickness and more rounded glans.[11][50] In both males and females, the base of the glans is covered with penile spines.[51][52][53] The formation of the pseudo-penis appears largely androgen independent, as the pseudo-penis appears in the female fetus before differentiation of the fetal ovary and adrenal gland.[11] After parturition, the pseudo-penis is stretched, and loses many of its original aspects; it becomes a slack-walled and reduced prepuce with an enlarged orifice with split lips.[40]

The spotted hyena is a non-seasonal breeder, though a birth peak does occur during the wet season. Females are polyestrus, with an estrus period lasting two weeks.[60] Like many felid species, the spotted hyena is promiscuous, and no enduring pair bonds are formed. Members of both sexes may copulate with several mates over the course of several years.[49] Males will show submissive behaviour when approaching females in heat, even if the male outweighs his partner.[61] Females usually favour younger males born or joined into the clan after they were born. Older females show a similar preference, with the addition of preferring males with whom they have had long and friendly prior relationships.[62] Passive males tend to have greater success in courting females than aggressive ones.[63] Copulation in spotted hyenas is a relatively short affair,[61] lasting 4–12 minutes,[64] and typically only occurs at night with no other hyenas present.[61] The mating process is complicated, as the male's penis enters and exits the female's reproductive tract through her pseudo-penis rather than directly through the vagina, which is blocked by the false scrotum and testes. These unusual traits make mating more laborious for the male than in other mammals, while also ensuring that rape is physically impossible.

Giving birth is difficult for female hyenas, as the females give birth through their narrow clitoris, and spotted hyena cubs are the largest carnivoran young relative to their mothers' weight.[69] During parturition, the clitoris ruptures in order to facilitate the passage of young, and may take weeks to hea

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spotted_hyena#Female_genitalia

Wow. Well, that's unattractive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's hoping my Hyena Privacy 2014 legislation will be enacted soon. Give Kami and Kamutori some space, world!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alicialynne
Back