Dead at 63 - Jean-Claude (Baby Doc) Duvalier, once Haiti's "President for Life"

OMG! I had no idea he was still alive!

Don't know why I thought he was already dead. Wishful thinking?

A look at the old man: François (Papa Doc) Duvalier, who died in 1971. (Wiki)

---
His rule, based on a purged military, a rural militia known as the Tonton Macoute and the use of a personality cult and voodoo, resulted in the murder of an estimated 30,000 Haitians and the exile of many more.
---

Lots of relief (and subdued/not so subdued happiness lol) amongst local Haitian friends and in their community! I grew up with many, many Haitians whose families had to flee and came here during the Duvalier years. It's just too bad that he was never truly held to account for his actions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jean-Claude ('Baby Doc') Duvalier - obituary (Telegraph)
• Jean-Claude ('Baby Doc') Duvalier was Haiti's 'president for life'
whose 15 years of misrule ended in ignominious and extravagant exile

---
Jean-Claude Duvalier was born in Port au Prince on July 3 1951, six years before his father came to power in a presidential election. François Duvalier’s leadership was hailed as a new beginning for Haiti. The ruling classes had always looked to Paris, and Duvalier, as a black descendant of slaves, seemed to offer a new sense of national identity and pride.

The honeymoon was short-lived. Recognising the popular appeal of voodoo brought by the slaves from Africa, he recruited a private army, the sinister Tontons Macoutes (Creole for “bogeymen”) to hold the population in submission through a combination of terror and magic.
---
His son Jean-Claude had an early taste of Haitian political life in 1963, when there was an abortive attempt to kidnap him from his school. In reprisal, his father was reported to have ordered the execution of 100 people, including 65 army officers.
---
As his father became ill with heart disease, diabetes and incipient insanity, the country was asked to endorse Jean-Claude as his heir, and in 1971 Haitians approved his selection with a vote of 2,391,916 to one.
---

Jean-Claude Duvalier obituary (Guardian)
• Haitian dictator known as Baby Doc who ruled by fear and brutality until he fled in 1986

---
Amused foreign reporters dismissed him as "Baby Doc", the son of his fearsome father, President François "Papa Doc" Duvalier, who had terrorised Haiti for 15 years until dying peacefully in bed. The name stuck and humiliation was ensured.

He was born in Port-au-Prince, the capital of Haiti. After a failed "kidnapping" of him and another sister as schoolchildren, the obese and gormless Jean-Claude, a poor student, was next heard of in 1971 when his ailing father named him as the country's next "president-for-life" and had him endorsed in a rigged referendum (2,391,916 to one, with two abstentions).
---

Gormless.. Excellent description.

If they're going after him posthumously , I wonder why no action against the still-living Michele, whose looting helped destroy the nation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

couldn't have happened to a more deserving individual.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back