1230 users online (206 members and 1024 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast
    So episode 5 went up on Thursday which concentrated on cell phone tower pings and the mess of a timeline the state went with at trial.

Today, mary_landa on reddit unearthed some court documents from Adnan's appeal in 2002.

So for folks who aren't following on reddit, you can find those documents here and here.

Quite a lot of information in those documents that haven't been talked about on Sarah Koenig's podcast, so you could class them as a spoiler.
    * ** ........................ *

........Vultures................ L.U.S.T. spells Love

Runt of the litter...........Los Vigilantes...........

''Serial'' is an AMAZING podcast. I've listened to every episode so far. This American Life should seriously consider making this a long-running series, where they re-examine potential wrongful conviction cases.

Right now, I'm not totally convinced that Adnan is innocent. I feel like he's most likely innocent, but I don't want to jump to conclusions yet.

IMO the circumstantial evidence points to his innocence. There hasn't been a singular piece of evidence strong enough to make me go "Yeah, he's innocent" on his own. But when you learn that no one can say Adnan had any ill will towards Hae, the Asia girl (who' the most reliable witness in this story so far, tbh) says she saw him in the library at the time the prosecution thinks the murder took place, how unreliable Jay's testimony is, and how shaky the prosecution's timeline is... I don't know, it just doesn't point to Adnan's guilt. And I didn't really buy the prosecution's proposed motive for the killing, either.

The timeline means it's possible Adnan did it, but it's very improbable. It'd leave only 3 minutes for him to get into a heated argument with Hae, kill her and stuff her body in the trunk). That's way too fast IMO, especially considering that 1) Adnan was only 17 and would not have been experienced in killing at all, and 2) manual strangulation is NOT an easy process. Even if you assume the strangulation only took 2 minutes (which is pretty damn fast), that leaves only 60 seconds to have a massive argument and put Hae in the trunk. All in a Best Buy parking lot.

Episode 6 is going to focus on the state's case against Adnan. I'm sure the prosecution had something that hasn't yet been discussed on Serial, and maybe that ''something'' will make me change my mind and think Adnan's guilty. However, whether Adnan is guilty or innocent, it doesn't sound like he had a fair trial and it certainly doesn't sound like it was a strong enough case to convict on.

MP3 of episode 6 at the following link.

http://dts.podtrac.com/redirect.mp3/...al-s01-e06.mp3

Love WS, love This American Life, LOVE Serial!

I'm trying to balance my intense curiosity for more information in this story with my desire to let things play out in the podcast episodes. I'm so anxious to figure out how Sarah will end this story. I've delved into a couple of things. Here is the link to the appellate appeal which provides a lot of interesting info.

https://pdf.yt/d/PUUcby-AZWfEhcuW/download

Just got into this podcast (through episode 5) and I'm obsessed! I have so many questions I want to discuss, but I don't even know where to begin. Like most sleuthers, I tried to research this whole case and cast of characters prior to diving too far into the podcast and I think it's kind of strange there's very little information aside for Serial's information.

jellybeanz, I am very intrigued to hear more on Jay's potential motive. He is by far the oddest part of this whole case if you ask me. Maybe it's coming up in episode 6 or 7 that I still need to listen to, but I really want to hear from Stephanie!

Nice to see others are also obsessed with this podcast. I look forward to a new episode every Friday.

I have family living very close to where this happened, so I am somewhat familiar with the area.

Really looking forward to next week's episode about Jay. Perhaps the deal he got for his testimony will also come out?

I have to say I think episodes 6 & 7 have been my favorite so far. Jenn's roommate was interesting and I wonder if Adnan was right in that he wouldn't have seemed all that odd to her had he not been convicted of this murder. I also think Deidre is SO fascinating and am really excited to see where her team goes with this. I'm also really interested to see what kind of deal Jay got for his testimony.

Quote Originally Posted by JM867 View Post
    Just got into this podcast (through episode 5) and I'm obsessed! I have so many questions I want to discuss, but I don't even know where to begin. Like most sleuthers, I tried to research this whole case and cast of characters prior to diving too far into the podcast and I think it's kind of strange there's very little information aside for Serial's information.

jellybeanz, I am very intrigued to hear more on Jay's potential motive. He is by far the oddest part of this whole case if you ask me. Maybe it's coming up in episode 6 or 7 that I still need to listen to, but I really want to hear from Stephanie!
    Saad, Adnan's friend, replied in his AMA on reddit that Hae was going to confront Jay on his cheating with other girls over her friend Stephanie.

That would kinda tie in with Adnan encouraging Jay to go buy something for Stephanies birthday that day or the relationship was blown.

It's also been said that Stephanie was interested in Adnan after Hae and Adnan split up.

So depending on how true any of that is, there could be a motive for Jay somewhere in there.

Quote Originally Posted by JM867 View Post
    I have to say I think episodes 6 & 7 have been my favorite so far. Jenn's roommate was interesting and I wonder if Adnan was right in that he wouldn't have seemed all that odd to her had he not been convicted of this murder. I also think Deidre is SO fascinating and am really excited to see where her team goes with this. I'm also really interested to see what kind of deal Jay got for his testimony.
    There are links to court documents in post #16 on this thread. It is a lot of reading, but there are large sections on Jay's deal in there.

Quote Originally Posted by jellybeanz View Post
    Saad, Adnan's friend, replied in his AMA on reddit that Hae was going to confront Jay on his cheating with other girls over her friend Stephanie.

That would kinda tie in with Adnan encouraging Jay to go buy something for Stephanies birthday that day or the relationship was blown.

It's also been said that Stephanie was interested in Adnan after Hae and Adnan split up.

So depending on how true any of that is, there could be a motive for Jay somewhere in there.

There are links to court documents in post #16 on this thread. It is a lot of reading, but there are large sections on Jay's deal in there.
    Just came here to see if this was being discussed on Websleuths. Wow. Just... wow. I'm totally sucked in.

I had to do a long drive last weekend (to visit my mum in a nursing home) and my daughter came along and persuaded me to listen to the first seven episodes. I am totally hooked!

I am SO HOOKED on this podcast also! I'm all caught up and anxiously awaiting the next episode, which is supposed to go into more details about Jay.

I WANT to believe that Adnan is innocent, and I agree that there are some sketchy aspects of the case, but I have to say I'm just not there yet. I think Jay is way more involved than he has admitted, but I think Adnan orchestrated everything. It just makes the most sense to me. I can't reconcile some of the things he says and some of the things he "doesn't remember."

I even think his story about wanting to make sure Jay bought Stephanie a present and so he loaned him his car and cell phone was BS. I mean, he would have to be the unluckiest guy on the planet to have loaned his car and phone out to someone who then went and murdered his ex-girlfriend. KWIM? Especially since, according to Adnan, they weren't very good friends.

I also just can't get past him not paging her after her disappearance. There's more, but those are the main ones that I'm having a hard time reconciling.

I still have an open mind though - excited to see what this week will bring.

JMO

I agree with you on everything. To think he needed to lend Jay his brand new cell phone makes no sense.

girlinblue is offline "You have a felony mind in a misdemeanor world."
    Are any of you users of the site Reddit? I know it's not for everyone, but there are a few subreddits for Serial, one in which Saad (Rabia's brother/Adnan's best friend) did an AMA (Ask Me Anything thread, if you're unfamiliar). I'm reading it now. It's fascinating. I won't link to it just in case it isn't allowed but Google should bring you to it. The Reddit sleuths are also putting together some pretty awesome FAQs and timelines.
    Last edited by girlinblue; 11-11-2014 at 11:29 PM.

girlinblue is offline "You have a felony mind in a misdemeanor world."
    Quote Originally Posted by Grammy Jean View Post
    I agree with you on everything. To think he needed to lend Jay his brand new cell phone makes no sense.
    I think you have to think about this in context of the time. I'm the same age as this group of people. I find it totally feasible. It was before smart phones, for one thing. Cell phones were still mostly for emergencies. Having a pager was still the cool thing. It's been said (by the group of then-teens) that Adnan often lent his car and phone out, so this wasn't unusual.

Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast