1307 users online (261 members and 1046 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 3 of 55 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast
    Hi PandaJ. I just want to say I tend to agree with you - especially about Adnan not trying to get hold of Hae after she disappeared. But I want to point out one thing where I do disagree with you on premise.

I don't find the fact that he lent the car to Jay to be suspicious. Kids do stuff like that all the time. And I don't think he "lent" his phone to him. Adnan apparently says he simply left the phone in the car. Remember, back then cell phones were bricks -- just huge compared to now. And just like now they were not allowed to be used at school. I know kids in this day and age do that anyway -- but they are typically sneaking the phone to text, not have phone calls. And those old cell phones did not have text back then. There was really no reason for Adnan NOT to leave the phone in his car.

alreetlike is offline All human wisdom is summed up in these two words -- wait and hope
    I'm also addicted to this. I've changed my mind on what I think happened several hundred times already.

I just started binge listening. This is compelling stuff. I'm excited to catch up, but dreading it too.

I find myself firmly undecided on whether I think Adnan is guilty or innocent.

Of course, the other question is if he should have been convicted. On that, I think that I am more inclined towards the side that he should not have been convicted.

I also find myself looking more at this from the perspective of storytelling -- where will Sarah Koenig be at the end? Will it have a satisfying ending, or not? What IS a satisfying ending?

I love Serial. I get excited for every Thursday morning now. I haven't ever really looked at Reddit. I guess I need to go check it out now!

I just started listening to the podcasts. I appreciate this cheat sheet of key players.

I've been listening and came to WS figuring it would be a popular topic. This needs to be sleuthed. Don't make me go to reddit!

Going by the limited information from the show, I'm leaning toward guilty, but perhaps not beyond a reasonable doubt. I guess I'll start digging into those appellate briefs.

I have been listening! Just found this:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/mar...120-story.html

(has pictures of Hae)

and another one:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/mar...rygallery.html

Rhino, there's also an interview of SK there from today. Of note, she says they're planning to finish at 12 episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by girlinblue View Post
    Are any of you users of the site Reddit? I know it's not for everyone, but there are a few subreddits for Serial, one in which Saad (Rabia's brother/Adnan's best friend) did an AMA (Ask Me Anything thread, if you're unfamiliar). I'm reading it now. It's fascinating. I won't link to it just in case it isn't allowed but Google should bring you to it. The Reddit sleuths are also putting together some pretty awesome FAQs and timelines.
    I've never been a Reddit fan, but I was lurking there today, reading about Serial. There's some good solid commentary over there. One of my favorite threads was the 'Adnon and magical thinking' threads.

This last episode was good, it was a lot about Adnan's point of view, but I was especially struck by what the judge said to him about being a manipulator, and it rang true to me. That Innocence Project attorney told SK that you she's not that lucky to have a master psychopath or whatever word she used, but psychopaths do exist in varying degrees, we discuss them at this forum all the time. So it's not so implausible that Adnan is that type of person. It would probably be a better story if he were innocent, but I'm doubting it.

I know there was some exculpatory testimony in the episode, but those kind of distant memories aren't much to hang on. And the part about discounting the payphone, I never really bought the 2:36 timeline limit for the murder. Well I never heard why the state insisted on that phone call, it didn't seem necessary. But disregarding that timeline, it just means Adnan had more time to commit the murder. It does also mean Jay's testimony is inconsistent, but it already was.

Speaking of Jay, it's odd to me how Adnan is so not angry when he discusses Jay. He even said at one point he doesn't want to accuse him because he knows what it's like to be falsely accused. Yet Jay did have something to do with it regardless of whether Adnan did. If Adnan is innocent, that just means Jay was involved in the murder either by himself or with someone else. Yet, Adnan shows little animosity towards him.

Quote Originally Posted by Smelly Squirrel View Post
    This last episode was good, it was a lot about Adnan's point of view, but I was especially struck by what the judge said to him about being a manipulator, and it rang true to me. That Innocence Project attorney told SK that you she's not that lucky to have a master psychopath or whatever word she used, but psychopaths do exist in varying degrees, we discuss them at this forum all the time. So it's not so implausible that Adnan is that type of person. It would probably be a better story if he were innocent, but I'm doubting it.

I know there was some exculpatory testimony in the episode, but those kind of distant memories aren't much to hang on. And the part about discounting the payphone, I never really bought the 2:36 timeline limit for the murder. Well I never heard why the state insisted on that phone call, it didn't seem necessary. But disregarding that timeline, it just means Adnan had more time to commit the murder. It does also mean Jay's testimony is inconsistent, but it already was.

Speaking of Jay, it's odd to me how Adnan is so not angry when he discusses Jay. He even said at one point he doesn't want to accuse him because he knows what it's like to be falsely accused. Yet Jay did have something to do with it regardless of whether Adnan did. If Adnan is innocent, that just means Jay was involved in the murder either by himself or with someone else. Yet, Adnan shows little animosity towards him.

I'm with you. I don't buy the timeline, and I think the cell tower evidence is just useless for a lot of reasons.

It is strange that Adnan isn't angry with Jay. The only time Adnan seems angry at all is when SK tells him she believes him because he seems like a 'nice guy'.

I have a hard time believing that he's innocent, but I don't think his lawyer did a very good job at trial.

Yeah, I could still accept that he shouldn't have been convicted given the evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Smelly Squirrel View Post
    Yeah, I could still accept that he shouldn't have been convicted given the evidence.
    I think his lawyer definitely made some mistakes.

What do you think about LE and the investigation? I mean, let's be honest, it's too late to reopen the investigation. At this point, no one can even positively say that there was a pay phone in the Best Buy parking lot. Not that that matters if the timeline is skewed, I'm just making a point.

If the appeal is successful, and this case goes back to trial they only have the original evidence to work with, correct?

Sorry to repeat myself, but I'm really on the ledge with this one. Sure, Adnan is a likeable guy, but that doesn't make him innocent. He had a lousy defense, doesn't make him innocent, but for some reason I want him to be innocent.

I'm hooked on this case too! I wish we had access to so much more info. The mysterious Mr. S is an intriguing character too. How did he stumble across the body wen some of the LEO couldn't even see it? I'd want to see pics of the site and just HOW much of her foot/hair was visible to the average person (and how much would be obvious to that of a person who just gulped a 40 oz ��)
    On a personal note, my extended family ( aunt, uncles and cousins) all knew Adnan and his family personally. They were in the same American Pakistani Muslim
    Community. All have said that Adnan is a very nice guy and of they all helped raise funds for his defense. They said the mother is a very simple lady and it's very tragic.

Also, there's a whole other level to this case that most people won't get unless you're a child of strict immigrant parents! We had to sneak around to do EVERYTHING! Lol. I think our parents try to preserve their own culture and are shell shocked at what is acceptable here. Us kids are put in a very difficult place because we want to respect our parents, culture, religion but we also want to "fit in."

Page 3 of 55 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast