890 users online (184 members and 706 guests)  

Websleuths News

South Florida

FL - Miami, WhtMale UP10130, 17-32, killed in insurance scam, May'82

Race: Caucasian
    Sex: Male
    Height: 71 inches
    Weight: 160 pounds
    Postmortem interval: 12 hours
    State of remains: Burnt beyond recognition

9901 SW 138 ST, Miami, FL 33136

According to police investigation, the deceased was working underneath a car to repair a leaky gas line, when the car caught fire. Neighbors heard an explosion and summoned the fire department. When the fire was extinguished, a body of a male was found pinned underneath the vehicle, burnt beyond recognition.

Fingerprints: Available and entered
    Dentals: Available and entered
    DNA: Available - not yet submitted
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 10-11-2014 at 03:41 AM.

South Florida
    This actually happened about 7 miles from my home. I found out about this case through a Dr. G episode; I'm not a big fan of her show, but I found this particular episode fascinating.
    It's a pretty crazy story. The circumstances on NamUs don't really explain what really happened, so here's the background information.

Here is the Dr. G episode about the case (it's the first 20 minutes or so): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99cW2Uot5_k
    Dispatch article: http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=5086,6037505
    Wall Street Journal: http://alb.merlinone.net/mweb/wmsql....mageid=5446032

The following excerpt is from the Wall Street Journal article printed in 1986:

In May 1982, Ezzat Aboul-Hosn, a Lebanese, was said to have been repairing a Vega in the garage of his Miami home in the company of his close friend Bassam Wakil, a Syrian. Wakil later contended that he had gone out for pizza and had returned to find the car in flames and Aboul-Hosn dead. Apparently, the Vega had slipped off a bumper jack, pinning Aboul-Hosn underneath. The jack had punctured the fuel tank and a hot light bulb had ignited the escaping gasoline.

Forensic evidence pointed to an accident. Carbon monoxide found in the body showed that the dead man had been alive before the fire started. "If there had been evidence the person was dead before the fire started, that would have raised intense suspicion of criminal activity," said Dr. Joseph Davis, Miami's chief medical examiner.

Aboul-Hosn was insured for $1.3 million. His sister and beneficiary, a Florida nurse, had received $550,000 when investigator Healy entered the case in December 1982. "One of the insurance companies was suspicious," Healy said. "We lacked a positive ID. There were no fingerprints or dental records, and nobody to identify the body."

Something else seemed fishy. "The Syrian told me he had no photo of Eddie," Healy said. "But I had seen five cameras in the Syrian's living room. Could it be he'd never taken a picture of good friend Eddie?"

Aboul-Hosn's sister told Healy that her brother's passport and driver's license were all in Lebanon. "That seemed strange," the investigator said. "Also, Eddie supposedly loved to work on old cars. But I found that he'd been a very fastidious guy who didn't like to get his hands dirty."

The Syrian, on the sister's instructions, had cremated the body after the autopsy. But Dr. Richard Souviron, Miami's chief forensic dentist, had taken photos of the dead man's teeth. These proved helpful later, when Rafael Nazario, a Miami police detective, found a toothy photo of Aboul- Hosn on file with the state motor vehicle bureau.

Souviron concluded, he said, that "no way is this the same individual. I told the detective, who said, 'My God! I've got a homicide on my hands.'"

But the evidence might not have been strong enough to hold up in court if Aboul- Hosn's sister had sued for the rest of the insurance money. So Healy embarked on a quest for any X-rays of Aboul-Hosn's mouth.

Aware that the insured had attended college in Kentucky and that his ex-wife was a Kentuckian, Healy flew to Louisville. It turned out that the ex- wife was in the Navy and at sea. Healy was waiting when her ship put in at Norfolk. "She thought Eddie had had one or two wisdom teeth pulled," recalled Healy, who correctly assumed that Aboul-Hosn would have had the work done at a dental school to save money.

"Once in a while, God is good," Healy said. "The first school I went to and bingo, up came Eddie's dental chart." Souviron said that the X-rays confirmed that the dead man wasn't Aboul-Hosn. But the body still hasn't been identified. "It's an open, pending case," Nazario, the detective, said, adding that he will arrest Aboul-Hosn for murder if he ever finds him.

In 1983, the Miami Herald found Aboul- Hosn's sister in Lebanon and reported that she denied being a party to his scheme. She said that she was so angry at the way he had used her that she had given him the money she received as a beneficiary. The Herald also said that Aboul-Hosn owned two new cars and a truck, had a villa under construction in Lebanon and maintained a "fat" savings account at a bank.

South Florida
    Hoping I can revive this thread. I was just doing some research for something I'm writing, and found some more info about the case itself and the John Doe.

- The UID's official cause of death is smoke inhalation. No soot was found in his airway, but his carbon monoxide blood saturation level was 61.9%. 20% is enough to make someone ill, 60% is a fatal dose.
    - He had fractures on both forearms. These were listed as "thermal fractures". I learned that, when a body is subjected to intense heat, the heat can burn through the flesh and 'warp' the bones underneath, causing the exposed bones to become brittle and then fracture.
    - His fists were clenched and the body found in a "pugilistic" position. When a body is subjected to intense heat, the muscles in the arms contract and the body will assume a 'defensive' position, like it's holding its fists up in preparation for a fight.
    - According to a magazine article (c. 1994), the UID had no dental work at all. This makes me think he was possibly a transient (Miami is also one of the most popular cities among transients and the homeless).
    - AFAIK, his remains have all been destroyed. His body was cremated and the ashes scattered into the ocean. The forensic odontologist did save the upper and lower jaws at one point for identification purposes, but who knows what happened to them. Fortunately, there is DNA available.

I also got a picture of his teeth directly from the Dr. G episode. You can see it here: http://i.imgur.com/WODM6hx.png

I think I found just about all the information that was available online. I ended up with ~10 pages of notes.
    I'm off work today. I want to go to the library and see if they have any archived news articles or anything like that.

I've checked several times over the past 1 1/2 years, but I haven't found any missing men who really fit. The problem is that there just isn't a lot of info to rule someone in or out. The body was in such bad condition that he was unrecognizable, they couldn't tell his hair or eye color, there are no distinguishing marks.
    The best identifier we have is his teeth. In particular, his two front lower teeth overlap significantly and very noticeably. That is probably the easiest way to rule a missing person in or out.

san jose, ca
    the poor guy was prob never reported missing.

New England
    As I was reading, I was thinking transient or homeless, or maybe migrant worker. Somebody who wouldn't be noticed missing right away, if at all.
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)