MO - Police officer fatally shoots Vonderrick Myers in south St. Louis #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lovejac

Reaction score
http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_2d5a8c2a-97db-5cec-a477-1130d7d26f7e.html

Dotson said the officer was in a car when he saw three males and one of them started to run away but stopped. The officer did a U-turn and then all three ran. He drove through streets following them and then chased them on foot. He then got into a physical confrontation with one that escalated into gunfire.

The teenager had a gun and fired at least three shots at the officer, who returned fire, the chief said. The teenager attempted to fire more but his gun jammed, Dotson said.

Thread #1

thanks for the open door!

nothiefsallowed is playing the most inspirational songs with incredible pics (god bless america & this is your land) - how can we get the kids out there last nite to watch it?

it should also be playing in all jails/holding cells in st louis county.

edit - he also had the clip of bella getting pulled over - when the cop asked her to turn off her phone/livestream - she immediately complied = all talk/no action imo.

edit edit : glad to see they're keeping things in perspective:

https://twitter.com/oshima9/status/521202566836019200

[h=1]Protesters stage surprise sit-in at St. Louis gas station, several arrested[/h]http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/.../?Post+generic=?tid=sm_twitter_washingtonpost
Some got a surprise spray of mace. :lol:

also an insightful commentary about last nite - i think the organizers did this to calm/divert the folks trying to engage l/e

The breaking point for some organizers was when a march to the Ferguson police station on Saturday night turned into a dance party in the streets.

“It’s disrespectful,” said Deray McKesson, one of the local organizers. “This is supposed to be about showing solidarity, not a celebration.”

And last night's top story: Bella got arrested...no she didn't...yes she did...no she didn't she went to the hospital...no she didn't she was just detained by the police...she voluntarily shut down her stream...no the police forced her to do it...take your pick.

Top moment of the top story: BELLA SPEAKS POLITELY TO A POLICE OFFICER

I missed everything last night. What is this about Bella???

No Thiefs had a lot of fun reviewing Bellas videos last night. We put two of her videos side by side and it showed her outright LYING about the cops.

First, there is a video of her livestreaming when the cops pulled over the van she was riding in. You can very clearly hear what the cops are saying and doing. They were VERY polite and then later, she is describing the incident to others, and she completely embellished the incident by saying they immediately forced her to shut down the stream, PULLED her out of the car, GRABBED her license etc.

Then you go back and rewatch the video of them being pulled over, and being ' PULLED' out of the car= the cops saying " you want to step outside of the car please?" At one point she stumbles and the cop reaches out nicely saying " Are you alright?"

Also, SHE IS THE ONE that IMMEDIATELY shuts down the feed. FIRST thing she says is ' Can I turn this off Please?' NO ONE MAKES HER DO SO.

Yet later when she describes the incident, she says they forced her to do so, and she describes them as being rude and aggressive. Nothing could be further from the truth. lol

Anything happen at the Cards game Other than them losing?

Thanks to all for the recaps. My computer went on the fritz last night. Before it went out i did see :kay: commenting on theives. You rock!Will have to go find bella clips.

I have mentioned before at how little "regular" people are watching this case. That said, I read an interesting comment on a friend's FB this morning that illustrated my point perfectly. My friend is a retired cop, sent into early retirement due to a gunshot wound to his leg, making him permanently disabled. He now runs a website dedicated to honoring LEOs killed in the line of duty. He simply mentioned that it is a shame that people don't care as much about officers killed in the line of duty than about the MB case and now this one, which he referred to as "good shoots." One of his friends attacked him saying "how do you know it was a good shoot, were you there, are you in the GJ room, etc..." THIS is the problem. In this country, and in most civilized soceities, we entrust our LEOs to make good decisions, based on their training, experience and judgement. Someone has to do it. So while there is nothing wrong with "questioning" each shooting, as they are with the GJ in this case and they investigate in EVERY case. However, we BEGIN with the understanding there is not only a presumption of innocence when it comes to our LEOs, it is at a much higher level than with other civilian realted "crimes."

I have taken issue with the fact that this thread is in the "Crimes in the News" section. I understand why that is now, however, it makes me shudder to think that when a cop shoots a suspect in the line of duty, it can ever be considered a crime. To me, it begins with the presumption that the suspect is the potential criminal and the LEO was simply doing the job we entrusted him or her to do. We do NOT begin with the presumption the shooting is a criminal event on the part of the LEO, unless a thorough investigation reveals compelling evidence that it was something more.

This type of thinking has bled its way into our society with a lot of this "cops are bad" propoganda. I have friends who post stuff all the time about out of control cops and while sometimes in some cases it is the truth. Cops CAN abuse their authority. They do NOT have "absolute power." And I get that cops should be held accountable if and when they break the law, just like everyone else. But the way many are starting to "think" and we've seen it expressed by the media, government officials, protestors, and even some of the general public, that LEOs are immediately believed to be criminals when they shoot a suspect.

To me, ODW is 100% innocent and SHOULD be treated as such UNTIL there is word from the investigation by the GJ to tell me otherwise. So the standard "questioning" and "investigation" which already takes place as protocol in officer shootings, is now being replaced with the presumption that it is a crime unless they can prove justification. To me, it begins with justification and it needs to be proven otherwise. When society starts to turn on its own LEOs, we will begin to turn the power over to the criminals and those freedoms that we all love so much and accuse the police of taking from us, will be taken away from us tenfold if the criminals are allowed the upper hand, which is what I see starting to gain momentum in our society.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10