Sayreville High School Hazing

Knitty

Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is in the right place . . .

Football Players Charged in Hazing

According to Prosecutor Andrew Carey, three were charged with aggravated sexual assault, aggravated criminal sexual contact, conspiracy to commit aggravated criminal sexual contact, criminal restraint, and hazing for engaging in an act of sexual penetration upon one of the juvenile victims. One of those defendants and four others were charged with various counts including aggravated assault, conspiracy, aggravated criminal sexual contact, hazing and riot by participating in the attack of some of the victims.

According to the complaints filed in the matter, one or more of the players held victims against their will, while others improperly touched victims in a sexual manner. In one case, one of the victims was kicked during an attack, said the prosecutor's office.

I'm surprised that this isn't getting more attention here. I am going to request that this thread gets moved to the Bullying section of the forum.

How New Jersey football hazing scandal points to deeper 'rape culture' By Mark Sappenfield, Staff writer October 12, 2014
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justic...-hazing-scandal-points-to-deeper-rape-culture

Why 7? Sayreville parent explains role of each in sexual assault (Exclusive) "It was no accident Friday that the Middlesex County Prosecutor’s office charged seven Sayreville War Memorial High School football players for their role in a series of alleged sexual assaults, a parent of a player told NJ Advance Media Saturday."
http://www.nj.com/middlesex/index.s...ach_in_sexual_assault.html#incart_maj-story-1

WARNING GRAPHIC

'Four would hold him down, two would stand guard... the seventh penetrated him': Shocking new details of horrific alleged hazing ritual at high school football team

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-high-school-football-team.html#ixzz3FwOJIrSI

I'm disgusted reading about this. I'm following it closely because I taught there for 17 years way back in the day. It wasn't a football powerhouse then, and the players weren't treated any differently than any other student. It was a great place to teach, far better than the second school where I taught. There, the football (and every other) team were so catered to. They could act up all they wanted, be rude to teachers and were excused for their behavior. I won't even go into grade issues.

I've been gone for so long that there is only one member of the staff/faculty I know, and that person was a former student. She's getting ready to retire!

I'm pleased with the decision made by the principal, superintendent, and school board in suspending the season. It was the right thing to do, and they did it. For the most part, this town is supporting the decision. I do feel sorry for any "innocent" players who will lose a year, but the fact is, that team, minus the 7 would face terrific ridicule and condemnation when they ran onto the field.

I know the way school grape-vines work and I'm am absolutely sure there are more people out there, both students and staff, who knew something was wrong in the locker room. I hope that they are ferreted out in the investigation.

This goes way beyond bullying. This is institutional abuse. I wonder how long this has been going on for.

I'd been looking for a thread on this case for days. Glad to have finally found it but maybe others are having the same trouble I did because it's hard to believe that there isn't more interest.

I'd been looking for a thread on this case for days. Glad to have finally found it but maybe others are having the same trouble I did because it's hard to believe that there isn't more interest.
I would have expected it to be in the Crimes section. This goes far beyond bullying.

I'm disgusted reading about this. I'm following it closely because I taught there for 17 years way back in the day. It wasn't a football powerhouse then, and the players weren't treated any differently than any other student. It was a great place to teach, far better than the second school where I taught. There, the football (and every other) team were so catered to. They could act up all they wanted, be rude to teachers and were excused for their behavior. I won't even go into grade issues.

I've been gone for so long that there is only one member of the staff/faculty I know, and that person was a former student. She's getting ready to retire!

I'm pleased with the decision made by the principal, superintendent, and school board in suspending the season. It was the right thing to do, and they did it. For the most part, this town is supporting the decision. I do feel sorry for any "innocent" players who will lose a year, but the fact is, that team, minus the 7 would face terrific ridicule and condemnation when they ran onto the field.

I know the way school grape-vines work and I'm am absolutely sure there are more people out there, both students and staff, who knew something was wrong in the locker room. I hope that they are ferreted out in the investigation.

ITA Carolins----I lived in Sayreville for a short time years ago----it's a suburban middle class area in central jersey. It's the home of Bon Jovi.

Never heard of hazing issues back in the day & I never perceived that school to be super competitive regarding sports & college scholarships---there were more highly ranked, high profile schools.

Sayreville is a sleepy, middle class, "bedroom" community, & considered low crime.

Just say in'.......

They will be tried for the sexual assaults in juvenile court. So they won't be named. I hate that this thread moved to the bullying thread. Just because something happened at a school doesn't mean it's bullying!

Update

[h=1]"Are High School Athletes Who Haze Teammates Really Juveniles?" posted Nov 11
"Despite the downright creepy and disgusting nature of this alleged hazing,
trying the offenders as juveniles will benefit both the defendants and the victims."
http://thelegalblitz.com/blog/2014/...athletes-who-haze-teammates-really-juveniles/
[/h]^Article^ says the case highlights the "unwillingness for the criminal justice system to try teenagers as adults particularly when victims are also under the age of 18" and lists 4 reasons for the unwillingness.

Seems, imo, high school juniors and seniors should know better than to sexually assault classmates and teammates.
JM2cts.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304