GUILTY CA - Tina Faelz, 14, stabbed to death, Pleasanton, 5 April 1984

PastTense

Reaction score
Before 14-year-old Tina Faelz was found stabbed to death near Pleasanton's Foothill High School in 1984, she and her schoolmate Steven Carlson were not known to have interacted except for the time she told him to leave one of her friends alone.

It wasn't until nearly three decades years later that authorities linked the brutal killing to Carlson by his blood on Tina's purse, Alameda County deputy district attorney Stacie Pettigrew said Tuesday at the opening of the murder trial for the 46-year-old transient.
http://www.contracostatimes.com/con.../testimony-begins-1984-pleasanton-murder-case

http://www.contracostatimes.com/con...asanton-steven-carlson-murder-case-hands-jury

Jury deliberations begin Wednesday at the trial for a 46-year-old homeless man linked by DNA evidence to his freshman classmate's brutal killing in Pleasanton 30 years ago...

Tina was stabbed and slashed 44 times with a short blade after school at the foot of a culvert that she and other students from the Valley Trail neighborhood used to travel underneath Interstate 680. Carlson's family lived close enough to the culvert that he told police that he and his friends sat on his roof to watch the police investigation that day.

Pettigrew called witnesses who said Carlson was intoxicated and angry from being trapped in a dumpster by other students when he was seen on campus around lunchtime. He was seen walking toward the culvert, which is right by his house, just over two hours before Tina was found dead.

‘Somebody Killed a Little Girl’: The Moment Police Found a Cold Case Victim’s Bloody Corpse
By Adam Carlson @adam_a_carlson
Posted on March 13, 2017 at 1:03pm EDT

Snipped:

Tina Faelz was 14 years old when she was found dead in Pleasanton, California, in April 1984 — her body bleeding from 44 stab wounds in a drainage culvert by the freeway.

Her slaying, as police describe in an exclusive clip from Monday night’s Cold Case Files, was a shock to the community.

Snipped:

Cold Case Files airs Monday (9 p.m. ET) on A&E.

http://people.com/crime/tina-faelz-cold-case-murder-body/

Too little, too late is exactly right.

Prison Inmate Confesses to Killing 14-Year-Old Tina Faelz in 1984 When He Was 16

In three letters obtained by the San Francisco Chronicle, Carlson admits to killing his younger classmate by stabbing her with a kitchen knife 44 times. Of the three letters, one is a nine-page "insight" statement written for state parole commissioners, one is to Faelz's family and one is to his victim.

"This letter of my deepest apologies is way over due," Carlson wrote in one letter. "I was living in denial for many years; not being able to believe or take responsibility for brutily murdering you on that day of April 5, 1984. I want you and your family to know you did absolutly nothing to deserve what I did to you. Thats what makes this murder so callous and horrific."

Oct 23 2020
Pleasanton Cold-Case Murder Solved Nine Years Ago Involved a Killer and a Victim Who Were Both Victims of Bullying
''Now 52, Carlson was just a troubled 16-year-old who attended the same high school as Faelz when he randomly stabbed her to death in a culvert outside his home on Lemonwood Way.

His parents were out of town. He had just earlier that day been traumatized when a group of football players at Foothill High beat him up and tossed him in a dumpster, locking him inside with food and garbage and flipping it over. He was freed by a wood-shop teacher, and he says he spotted Tina Faelz walking home after he'd returned home to drink by himself.

Faelz, as the Chronicle reported via information that came out in Carlson's trial six years ago, was herself a victim of bullying, and that victimhood led her path to cross Carlson's that day. She was taking a shortcut home from school, on foot because a group of girls had been bullying her on the schoolbus — and the day she was killed those same girls had reportedly thrown rocks at her, and threatened violence.''

''Carlson wrote that he remembered "looking out my window and seeing someone walking on the dirt pathway, in the field that was across the street from my house. I remember being full of rage at the way all my classmates were laughin at me, and the damage my parents room was in and how my dad was going to whip up on me after they found out about the party I threw." (Carlson had thrown a small party while his parents were in Reno that week and it had ended up being a disaster.)

“Everything happen [sic] so fast,” Carlson wrote. “I remember going to kitchen and grabed a butcher knife."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Petoskey
Back