1459 users online (328 members and 1131 guests)  


The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News


Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 76
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    4,085

    Author John Grisham: Child Porn sentences too harsh

    Another author I'll never be able to read again. Sick, sick, sick.

    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-29639956

    He said a "good buddy" of his had been imprisoned for three years for viewing child pornography on a website labelled "sixteen-year-old wannabe hookers" when his drinking was out of control.

    "We have prisons now filled with guys my age. Sixty-year-old white men in prison who've never harmed anybody, would never touch a child," he told the Telegraph.

    http://time.com/3511499/john-grisham-child-porn/

    “These are people who haven’t hurt anybody. They deserve some type of punishment, whatever, but 10 years in prison?”

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,095
    Sick. I would hope LE confiscates Grisham's computer. Maybe they'll find more then books in the making. I won't be reading anymore of his novels.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    310
    It seems now that he regrets making the comments.

    https://www.facebook.com/JohnGrisham?ref=br_rs

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    33,776
    Quote Originally Posted by iamnotagolem View Post
    Another author I'll never be able to read again. Sick, sick, sick.

    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-29639956

    He said a "good buddy" of his had been imprisoned for three years for viewing child pornography on a website labelled "sixteen-year-old wannabe hookers" when his drinking was out of control.

    "We have prisons now filled with guys my age. Sixty-year-old white men in prison who've never harmed anybody, would never touch a child," he told the Telegraph.

    http://time.com/3511499/john-grisham-child-porn/

    “These are people who haven’t hurt anybody. They deserve some type of punishment, whatever, but 10 years in prison?”
    thank you - I just posted my similar thoughts on this author and his POV on another thread. I am disgusted by the minimization. "no one was touched therefore no harm was done" (paraphrase). The people (drunken morons or sober) who create the market are just as guilty as those coercing, forcing etc minors to participate in the creation of the images these drunken fools "accidentally" slobber over. As to his belief that his good friend accidentally downloaded enough porn images to warrant his being "drug into" a porn ring investigation. um yeah, I really should not comment further on my thoughts about that sort of blind denial on the part of Mr. Grisham.

    Will never read another of his books nor view another movie based on his books. I refuse to support him continuing to have a platform for his ridiculous views on this issue.

    Websleuths now on Facebook


    Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

    mni wiconi I Stand With Standing Rock

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    33,776
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisces Cloud View Post
    It seems now that he regrets making the comments.

    https://www.facebook.com/JohnGrisham?ref=br_rs
    I am glad he regrets his comments. But I can't unring the bell. I will never know if he regrets the comments or simply regrets the backlash that came of them.

    Websleuths now on Facebook


    Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

    mni wiconi I Stand With Standing Rock

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    4,085
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisces Cloud View Post
    It seems now that he regrets making the comments.

    https://www.facebook.com/JohnGrisham?ref=br_rs
    Unfortunately it is too little too late for many of his fans. I don't know how you accidentally say child porn doesn't hurt anybody. Child porn is not a victimless crime, the sentences are not harsh enough IMO.

    Minimalizing a disgusting crime like child porn is deplorable. While the greatest victims are the children in the videos, the victims go much further, the perps spouse and children are also victims.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    4,085
    Also, I've never known anyone who got drunk and downloaded child porn. What kind of defense is that?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,782
    How would Grisham like it if someone victimized his grandkids by taking illegal photos of them ?? (assuming he has grandchildren , and assuming he cares about them) Grisham's friend couldn't view pics without some monster taking the photos in the first place. Nauseating.

    I have zero respect for this author from this point on !!!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,098
    Grisham was right and I'm sorry if he is backing down in the face of public hysteria.

    16 is the age of consent in Canada and half of the United States. Putting a man in prison for 3 years for viewing pictures that purport to be of 16-year-olds is ridiculous! Meanwhile, we are letting violent offenders go free because we don't have enough prison beds.

    Ya'll can vent your spleens on me now, but please note I never said "child abuse doesn't matter", nor do I support the legalization of pornograpy involving younger children.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,627
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    Grisham was right and I'm sorry if he is backing down in the face of public hysteria.

    16 is the age of consent in Canada and half of the United States. Putting a man in prison for 3 years for viewing pictures that purport to be of 16-year-olds is ridiculous! Meanwhile, we are letting violent offenders go free because we don't have enough prison beds.

    Ya'll can vent your spleens on me now, but please note I never said "child abuse doesn't matter", nor do I support the legalization of pornograpy involving younger children.
    How do you know it's even true about the 16 yr old porn and this so called drunken 'good buddy'? For all we know, Grisham might have a gripe about men being jailed for downloading child porn, age not specific. I'm googling to find such a case where a man was sentenced to 3 yrs jail for downloading porn of the 16 yr old age variety, no luck yet.
    Grisham's a story teller, he's backed out of his claim probably because he can't substantiate it.


  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimeSuspect View Post
    How do you know it's even true about the 16 yr old porn and this so called drunken 'good buddy'? For all we know, Grisham might have a gripe about men being jailed for downloading child porn, age not specific. I'm googling to find such a case where a man was sentenced to 3 yrs jail for downloading porn of the 16 yr old age variety, no luck yet.
    Grisham's a story teller, he's backed out of his claim probably because he can't substantiate it.
    I'd like to know the true charges what his buddy was convicted of. I just can't see defending any body (buddy or not) of engaging in viewing child pornography. That is sick. IMO

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    where the big sharks come to play
    Posts
    4,529
    Grisham is a fool for attesting what his "buddy" is or isn't capable of.
    We can all account for our own actions but to theorize on what another person would or wouldn't do?

    No way!

    There have been circumstances (rare) that my own anger surprised me under unique situations: therefore I would never attest to the actions or in actions of another!

    .....the stuff we learn thru life experiences....
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Look, if any of us wanted to mind our own business, we wouldn't be here" (carbuff 8/11/13)

    This post reflects my constitutionally-protected opinion. Please do not copy it anywhere else outside of the WebSleuth forum

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    33,776
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    Grisham was right and I'm sorry if he is backing down in the face of public hysteria.

    16 is the age of consent in Canada and half of the United States. Putting a man in prison for 3 years for viewing pictures that purport to be of 16-year-olds is ridiculous! Meanwhile, we are letting violent offenders go free because we don't have enough prison beds.

    Ya'll can vent your spleens on me now, but please note I never said "child abuse doesn't matter", nor do I support the legalization of pornograpy involving younger children.

    While I completely disagree with your opinion I respect your right to it. You will see no venting of spleen from me directed at you. I disagree. That is all.

    Websleuths now on Facebook


    Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

    mni wiconi I Stand With Standing Rock

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Montecito
    Posts
    2,493
    Worth a read, imo...

    In defense of John Grisham

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,098
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimeSuspect View Post
    How do you know it's even true about the 16 yr old porn and this so called drunken 'good buddy'? For all we know, Grisham might have a gripe about men being jailed for downloading child porn, age not specific. I'm googling to find such a case where a man was sentenced to 3 yrs jail for downloading porn of the 16 yr old age variety, no luck yet.
    Grisham's a story teller, he's backed out of his claim probably because he can't substantiate it.
    As we all do here, I'm just discussing the facts as they are reported. Obviously, if the subjects of the photos turn out to be 10, that will be a very different matter.

    Believe me, I'd rather 16-year-olds wait to have sex, but most do not wait, and I don't see what is to be gained by calling a 16-year-old a "child", particularly when s/he can legally consent to sex in 60% of the states and Canada.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. GUILTY PA~Child psychiatrist, Dr. John Theroux arrested for child porn
    By Missizzy in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-22-2016, 02:43 AM
  2. TX - John Fortner, Child porn, DA looking for other victims
    By TGIRecovered in forum Crimes-Spotlight on Children
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-25-2013, 04:45 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-29-2011, 09:48 PM
  4. ND - Dr. John Coddington indicted for child porn
    By Missizzy in forum Crimes-Spotlight on Children
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-24-2011, 09:43 PM