But...it's a tree? Large green 'plug' vibrates Paris

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Daily Mail:

Mon Dieu! Parisians claim city has been 'humiliated' by 24ft sculpture that
resembles a massive sex toy - but artist insists it's meant to be a TREE!

• American artist's sculpture in Parisian square has raised eyebrows
• Some think 'Tree' resembles a certain type of sex toy
• Twitter users say the controversial work has made capital a laughing stock

French Uptight Over 24-Foot Parisian Butt Plug (Gawker)

Paris Humiliated By Gigantic Inflatable Butt Plug (Jezebel)

story & pictures at links above

An artwork that Parisians say resembles a giant sex toy and is an 'humiliation', has been vandalized in the city center over night. Reports say the work, which some labeled a 'giant butt plug' now sits limp and deflated, with its mooring ropes cut. In fact, it goes by the hashtag #PlugGate on twitter.

69-year-old US artist Paul McCarthy installed the work, and he says it's meant to represent a Christmas tree but is aware of the strong feelings - because a passer-by slapped him around the face three times when the work was unveiled in the Place Vendôme.

http://www.france24.com/en/20141018...-plug-vandalised-paul-mccarthy-place-vendome/

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 21
The installation's original name is 'Tree', by the way.

it's butt ugly

who would pay for that???

someone has more $$ or Euros than brains to fund it......

Link

The artist, Paul McCarthy, says, ''Originally, I thought that a butt plug had a shape similar to the sculptures of [Romanian artist] Constantin Brâncusi. Afterwards, I realized that it looked like a Christmas tree.''

Not buying it. That isn't a Christmas tree and he knows damn well that anyone with eyes who looks at that sculpture immediately thinks ''That's a green butt plug''. To be fair, though, I can kind of see the Christmas tree in it ... I'm just shocked that the sex industry has never come up with holiday-themed plugs like this. I can't think of a better gag gift.

What do you think the message is here? Is it a statement on how commercialized Christmas has become, and it's a way of saying that we're getting ''screwed'' by the corporations? Is it teaching us that we can find beauty and hidden meaning in even the most obscene of objects? Or is it just some guy who thought it'd be funny to set up a butt plug in the middle of one of the world's busiest cities?

There is one in Antwerp,Belgium at Christmas.It is a gnome holding the "tree". I will try to post a picture.

http://deviantalfred.deviantart.com/art/The-*advertiser censored*-Gnome-Rotterdam-148912757
I thought it was in Belgium but I saw it in Rotterdam,Holland.

Edit-I had to remove other link because the page contained something others might deem offensive.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back