OR OR - Oregon City, Newell Creek, WhtMale 40-60, 364UMOR, clothes, 2 Ford keys, Apr'02

j123

Reaction score
The only mention of this Doe here was in a closed thread for OR in general

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/364umor.html

Unidentified White Male

Discovered on April 20, 2002 in Oregon City, Oregon.
Estimated Date of Death: Undetermined, but most likely a significant period of time has passed since death.
Skeletal remains
Vital Statistics

Estimated age: adult, undetermined
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'9" - 6'0"; weight is undetermined
Dentals / Fingerprints: Not Available.
DNA: Available.
Clothing: A multicolored Windbreaker jacket. A Levi Strauss, wool lined jacket, size 42. A brown leather jacket. A MacGregor gray and red, long sleeve shirt. A brown leather belt, possibly size 34. A pair of Levi blue jeans. 1 red sock. 1 Original Rugged Outback brown leather boot, size 9 1/2 W.
Case History
On April 20, 2002 skeletal remains were found in a small tributary creek that feeds to Newel Creek by some unrelated volunteer searchers. The surrounding area is heavily wooded and has thick underbrush. Several coats were being worn at the time of death possibly indicating that it was either winter or this person was a wanderer or transient.
Personal items found with him; A plastic green coin pouch with "Oregon Trail" and the dates "1843-1993" on it, 12 keys consisting of 2 Ford keys and misc. other keys, a Kershaw folding knife with black rubber handle, a black comb and a Phillips screwdriver bit and drill attachment.

Hoping to hear people's thoughts about this man possibly being Mark Dribin

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3847dmor.html
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?153627-OR-Mark-Dribin-42-Portland-02-July-1999

In this photograph of Mark, you can see he has an Oregon Trail t-shirt

15952823_SA.jpg

The coin purse found on the deceased has an identical logo

364UMOR2.JPG

Mark went missing in the summer, so I'm not sure why he would be wearing such clothing. However, it's evident that he was murdered, and that his murderer attempted to clean up the scene. Perhaps it involved a change of clothing as well; the season wouldn't matter in that case.

I don't know how common this logo is, but I can't find it at all online. I was wondering if that could support the purse and t-shirt being purchased at the same time if this is a design that's no longer used.

Also, the keys: the keys are to a Ford, the type of car Mark drove. You can also see some smaller keys. They look like they go to the small locks often used for luggage. Mark worked at an airport handling luggage.

Here's the NamUs UP casefile for this John Doe.

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/8058

Mark Dribin is not listed. I'd say he's worth submitting.

WS Member LinasK is a verified insider for Mark Dribin's case. Perhaps you might want to check with him to see if this UID has ever been on his radar.

Here is the map I made for Mark, I also added the address JD was found (1625 Beavercreek Rd Oregon City, OR) which is 23 minutes from Mark's car.

I also feel it should get turned in. I also feel that the case worker will be interested in adding everything from the Doe Net entry.

Hoping to hear people's thoughts about this man possibly being Mark Dribin

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3847dmor.html
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?153627-OR-Mark-Dribin-42-Portland-02-July-1999

In this photograph of Mark, you can see he has an Oregon Trail t-shirt

View attachment 61580

The coin purse found on the deceased has an identical logo

View attachment 61581

Mark went missing in the summer, so I'm not sure why he would be wearing such clothing. However, it's evident that he was murdered, and that his murderer attempted to clean up the scene. Perhaps it involved a change of clothing as well; the season wouldn't matter in that case.

I don't know how common this logo is, but I can't find it at all online. I was wondering if that could support the purse and t-shirt being purchased at the same time if this is a design that's no longer used.

Also, the keys: the keys are to a Ford, the type of car Mark drove. You can also see some smaller keys. They look like they go to the small locks often used for luggage. Mark worked at an airport handling luggage.

I believe the logo is the 150 year anniversary. I see a wooden nickle with the logo on google image search

A plastic green coin pouch with "Oregon Trail" and the dates "1843-1993" on it.

Wasn't Mark Dribin bald? The UID had a comb.

Everything about this person's clothing and belongings says early 1990s to me. As in, either he has been deceased that long, or he was transient and wearing cast-off clothing. I wish there were some better pictures of the labels etc.

Everything about this person's clothing and belongings says early 1990s to me. As in, either he has been deceased that long, or he was transient and wearing cast-off clothing. I wish there were some better pictures of the labels etc.

Just found out about this thread. I think Mark had shaved his head. I remember him in younger years with curly red hair. Both his parents have red hair. I just read that they said that DNA is available on this John Doe. Mark's DNA is on file, as is his parents, so who do we ask to compare them???
I find it interesting that he had Ford keys on him since Mark had a Ford. Mark fits the age profile of being in his 40's.
It would be wonderful if Mark's remains were found so that we could have burial and closure, his parents know he's not coming home alive.

I had the same thought about the comb. I was thinking this was maybe an old jacket Mark didn't actually wear, that happened to have a comb left in its pockets from years ago. But it is entirely possible that, like you said, this isn't Mark in the first place.

What reason would a transient person have to carry along all of those keys, though? Especially car keys.

From the NamUs profile for John Doe:

Local Contact (ME/C or Other)
Agency Multnomah Cnty Med Examiners Ofc
Phone 971-673-8220
Case Manager
Name Veronica Vance
Phone 971.673.8300

Unidentified White Male

Estimated Date of Death: Undetermined, but most likely a significant period of time has passed since death.
Skeletal remains
Vital Statistics

Clothing: A multicolored Windbreaker jacket. A Levi Strauss, wool lined jacket, size 42. A brown leather jacket. A MacGregor gray and red, long sleeve shirt. A brown leather belt, possibly size 34. A pair of Levi blue jeans. 1 red sock. 1 Original Rugged Outback brown leather boot, size 9 1/2 W.
Case History
On April 20, 2002 skeletal remains were found in a small tributary creek that feeds to Newel Creek by some unrelated volunteer searchers. The surrounding area is heavily wooded and has thick underbrush. Several coats were being worn at the time of death possibly indicating that it was either winter or this person was a wanderer or transient.
Personal items found with him; A plastic green coin pouch with "Oregon Trail" and the dates "1843-1993" on it, 12 keys consisting of 2 Ford keys and misc. other keys, a Kershaw folding knife with black rubber handle, a black comb and a Phillips screwdriver bit and drill attachment.

That is quite a few layers of clothing. Is that common for the area and the climate? I would be leaning towards transient as well or some kind of outdoor worker.

Just found out about this thread. I think Mark had shaved his head. I remember him in younger years with curly red hair. Both his parents have red hair. I just read that they said that DNA is available on this John Doe. Mark's DNA is on file, as is his parents, so who do we ask to compare them???
I find it interesting that he had Ford keys on him since Mark had a Ford. Mark fits the age profile of being in his 40's.
It would be wonderful if Mark's remains were found so that we could have burial and closure, his parents know he's not coming home alive.

They should automatically run-Mark's detective could best answer that I think.

I believe the logo is the 150 year anniversary. I see a wooden nickle with the logo on google image search

A plastic green coin pouch with "Oregon Trail" and the dates "1843-1993" on it.

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing. I don't think I have those particular items, but somewhere in my souvenir stash I have a couple of items from the anniversary with that same logo on it.

One of the things that happened in 1993 was that a whole bunch of organizations, tour groups, and others staged reproduction wagon trains from Missouri to Oregon. Many of these ended at the Oregon Trail Interpretive Center in Baker, which opened in 1992 for the anniversary (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baker_City,_Oregon#Museums_and_other_points_of_interest). (Aside: I wanted to do one of those trips soooo bad, but Mr. Carbuff wasn't up for with two young kids and a crabby teenager in tow...)

I was excited about this prospect at first because of the age range, the location, and the Ford keys, but... what makes me think it's not Mark is that Mark disappeared over 4th of July weekend, so not likely he was wearing heavy coats unless it gets cold in Portland at night, and someone on Mark's thread mentioned a cross being found. Mark was Jewish, so doubtful he had a cross unless he was converting/becoming a Jew for Jesus that the family didn't know about.

As a native Oregonian that has lived in the Portland area for eight years now I can vouch that during the summer it does not get cold at night. Although the 4th of July over 1999 was a rather cold one.

Year High/Low Precipitation
1999: 67/53 (.14)

It even rained over the 4th of July in 1999, but It was 53 at the coldest, which might be a flannel weather (I've seen people on the hottest day of the year still wearing flannel up here. It's a lifestyle), but I don't think it would warrant three jackets and a long sleeved shirt.

I really want to check the weather for the past years before 2002, the only time I have been up here where it's been cold enough to wear THREE jackets would have been during 2008, when it snowed about 3-4 feet and kept freezing over.

Unidentified White Male

Skeletal remains
Vital Statistics

Case History

The items and clothing found with this uid, do not seem to be those of a transient, but those of a middle class and somewhat sporty man, imo
The brown leather jacket, as opposed to a black one ( which matches everything , thus more practical) the wool lined jacket and MacGregor shirt and matching red socks, the little comb and folding knife, the screwdriver bit- keys to a car and other keys, speak to me as a careful man, with places to go, cautiously dressed in case of chill. jmo, fwiw.

Here are the rule outs for this John Doe:

Patrick Beavers 1972 Idaho
STEVEN FRICK 1965 Oregon
Jerry Smith 1951 Oregon

So yes, continuing the conversation from the first place, I don't believe this UID is Mark.

Here are the rule outs for this John Doe:

Patrick Beavers 1972 Idaho
STEVEN FRICK 1965 Oregon
Jerry Smith 1951 Oregon

So yes, continuing the conversation from the first place, I don't believe this UID is Mark.

Thanks for continuing the work on identifying this UID, finding Mark. If Mark hasn't been excluded, you could contact Det. Fonkin (contact info on Mark's thread) and ask her to submit him, so he can be excluded.

Psssst. for those earlier in this thread- I'm female, my avatar is of Mark. He's my cousin.

The items and clothing found with this uid, do not seem to be those of a transient, but those of a middle class and somewhat sporty man, imo
The brown leather jacket, as opposed to a black one ( which matches everything , thus more practical) the wool lined jacket and MacGregor shirt and matching red socks, the little comb and folding knife, the screwdriver bit- keys to a car and other keys, speak to me as a careful man, with places to go, cautiously dressed in case of chill. jmo, fwiw.

Or who might have gone missing in chilly or rainy weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back