1192 users online (194 members and 998 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

PA - James Farrence, 27, Carbondale, 31 March 2005

Link to Photos and New Info

Name: James Farrence Jr.
    DOB: 11/18/78
    Date Missing: 3/31/05
    Missing From: Carbondale, PA
    Height: 5'6"
    Weight: 125 lbs.
    Hair: Brown
    Eyes: Hazel

Tattoos: The name 'Shannon' on right shoulder, the grim reaper with the name 'Jim' on right side of chest, 'Jim' on fingers of right hand

Scars: Severe scarring on face from assault (steel plates were used for reconstruction)

Last seen wearing: jeans, a black South Pole winter coat, brown boots, and a ball cap- no knowledge of jewelry or other items, wallet, ID, etc, not found in personal belongings.

Carbondale PA Police Dept.
    Det. Sgt. Jesse Van Deusen (570) 282-6211
    Case Number: 05-03-0508

Note from Family:

"James Farrence Jr. has been missing from Carbondale, Pennsylvania since March 31, 2005. There has been no trace of James despite two searches in the Carbondale area, on-going local police investigation, coverage by local media, and continued family efforts.

My family is desperate is find James- desperate for any answers explaining his disappearance. James suffers from muscular dystrophy and has a learning disability; though he is an independent, capable adult, his one weakness is being overly friendly and trusting of others.

James was the victim of a brutal beating that nearly killed him in 2003. Beaten repeatedly with a tire iron, his face had to be reconstructed with steel plates and resulting in severe scarring. Two Carbondale brothers were convicted for the crime- both are now free.

James’ cell phone records indicate that his last phone call was placed on March 31 at 9:39 p.m. He spoke with several family members and Carbondale Police from his cell phone just hours before his last call was placed at 9:39 p.m. James used his cell phone quite frequently- calling family (parents, siblings, aunts and uncles, cousins) and friends several times a day.

Police report that he was last seen on North Main Street in Carbondale late the night of March 31. According to the police, a U.S. postal worker reported seeing James at a truck stop around Pennsylvania State College on April 10. Though police believe the witness to be credible, it is not like James to leave without contacting family or friends for such a long period of time. He would call if he were able. At this point and time police have no suspects in James’ disappearance.

Thank you."

Kelly Jolkowski, Mother of Missing Jason Jolkowski
    President and Founder,
    Project Jason
    http://www.projectjason.org

Man's Disappearance a Mystery

By Lisa Schencker Staff Writer
    06/19/2005

EAST STROUDSBURG -The list of calls goes on for pages.

Kristen Angelo flips through it. It's her cousin James Farrence Jr.'s cell phone records, and she's dialed many of the numbers trying to piece together what happened to him, whom he talked to and where he went the day he disappeared.

There are 371 calls from the month of March alone.

After March 31 the calls suddenly stop. It was the last day the 27-year-old Carbondale man, better known as Jimmy, was seen.

Neither police nor his family know what happened to him that weekend that floods ravaged the valley. After two citywide searches, months of police investigation and offering a $5,000 reward for information, the family is still desperate, grasping onto what little Mr. Farrence left behind - some weights in his apartment, clothes, cell phone records.

"I know one thing for absolute certain," said Mr. Farrence's mother Bess Farrence, a woman with worry lines etched in her face. "Jimmy's cell phone was like an appendage for him. He would call our home maybe two or three times a day.

"He would not go without phoning home if he were capable."

Though he hasn't used his cell phone in 80 days, Bess keeps the account active -just in case.

More Than Two Months

All police know is this: Mr. Farrence was last seen in Carbondale on North Main Street late the night of March 31.

Police also recently received a call from someone Carbondale Police Detective Sgt. Jesse Van Deusen describes as a "credible witness" saying he saw Mr. Farrence at a truck stop in State College on April 10.

But that was more than two months ago, and despite listings in both state and national missing persons data bases, no one has seen Mr. Farrence since.

Neighbors, police and firefighters organized two searches in April. Divers scoured the Lackawanna River.

Nothing turned up.

There's no suspicion of foul play yet but also no theories as to what might have happened, Detective Sgt. Van Deusen said. Not even Mr. Farrence's family can guess.

"When it's somebody you love and care about and they're missing, you think about anything and everything that might have happened," Ms. Angelo said. "You fear the worst."

The family traveled to Carbondale on Tuesday looking for answers. They talked to the mayor, police and Mr. Farrence's friends.

Mr. Farrence's mother, stepfather and aunts covered windows and bulletin boards across the city with fliers bearing his picture, description and offers to pay a reward to anyone with information leading to his whereabouts.

They found no answers - only what remained in Mr. Farrence's apartment, belongings they took back with them to East Stroudsburg. No one has called seeking the reward.

The last time anyone in the family talked to Mr. Farrence was March 31, hours before the last time he was seen.

http://www.zwire.com/

A new photo of James before his attack is on the News and Info link posted above. It does show part of one of his tattoos.

Thank you for any and all assistance provided.

Kelly

Sad news: He may have been found....

Sad news he may have been found: They are awaiting DNA tests to positive ID.

http://www.centredaily.com/mld/centredaily/12773294.htm

Where does this indicate it may be James?

This article states it may be someone missing from Carbondale:

<snip>

The decomposed body was found in a dry riverbed Sept. 20. Autopsy reports are inconclusive and no cause of death has been determined, according to officials at the Lackawanna County Coroner's Office.

Bellefonte police became aware of the find late last week, and Detective Tom Thal contacted police in Scranton, according to Bellefonte police Officer Darrel Zaccagni. "Someone disappeared a few months ago from Carbondale and (Scranton police) feel real comfortable that it was him they found," Zaccagni said.

http://www.centredaily.com/mld/centredaily/12778413.htm

I emailed my family contact to check in with them. Thank you, fourboys.

Saying a prayer. Please keep us updated Kelly.

Something is wrong with this picture. Prayers are in order.

The family has nothing at this point to eliminate the John Doe as being James. They will have to wait on the DNA testing and try to prepare themselves.

Yes, please pray for them. Thank you.

Kelly

I would like to know why James called the police on that last day he was heard from. He had called several people the police being one of those calls.

I'm also wondering if the police have drilled those two that almost beat James to death and are now out of jail. Amazing that they are already out of jail isn't it? They could do that much damage to a person and serve a little time?
    No wonder we have so much crime in this country. Maybe if they had been convicted of attempted murder and served 10-15 yrs in prison they would think twice before doing that to another person. We are to darn easy on crime and it is only going to get worse. Makes me want to scream at the top of my lungs. When are the law makers going to figure out that the laws need to be tougher? When something happens to someone in their families??????

The Scientist

I would like to thank those who express concern and empathy for James' story. We do not know for certain if James has been recovered; test results will be available in the weeks to come. Thank you, Kelly, for helping us get James' story known.

As I reflect on James' incident in 2003, it seems quite apparent that his attack falls nothing short of a hate crime. It is unfortunate that hate crimes against the disabled are not taken more seriously within our judicial system.

Aggravated assault
    Simple assault
    Recklessly endangering another person
    Kidnapping with the intent to inflict injury and terror
    Unlaw restraint with the intent to cause serious bodily injury

These are the charges brought against the boys (20 year-olds) who victimized James and everytime I am reminded of them, I envision him crying, begging for them to stop; I think of him stumbling down a dark street in the middle of the night- unable to see where he's going or call out for help because he is so badly injured. Local law enforcement stated in a Scranton Times article dated October 28, 2003, that James was “left for dead”. He was nearly bludgened to death. The tire iron he was beaten with damaged James’ face so badly that it had to be reconstructed with steel titanium plates and screws.

And today, those who commited the crime against James enjoy their lives in a quite little town in Pennsylvania. Right where the Lackawanna River begins.

James has a disability, doesn’t drive, and had less than $60 with him the night he went missing. He spoke with family that evening and said he was invited to a party in the woods.

During rescue efforts, a family member of one of the attackers showed his support to James’ family and friends by callously honking his horn while driving by. This person is also the last person known to be seen with James that night.

We recently visited Carbondale to post missing person fliers during a summer night event, only to be turned away by many local businesses that refused to post the fliers.

The philosophical principle known as Occam’s Razor states that the simplest explanation is likely to be the most accurate. In simpler terms-- it doesn't take a scientist, common sense is reliable; unfortunately, too many of us seem to lack just that.

I encourage everyone to take action within their communities-- be angry, demand accountability, expect zero tolerance, pray for justice.

Come up to meet ya, tell you I'm sorry
    You don't know how lovely you are
    I had to find you, tell you I need ya
    And tell you I set you apart
    Tell me your secrets, and nurse me your questions
    Oh lets go back to the start
    Running in circles, coming in tails
    Heads on a science apart
    Nobody said it was easy
    It's such a shame for us to part
    Nobody said it was easy
    No one ever said it would be this hard
    Oh take me back to the start
    I was just guessing at numbers and figures
    Pulling the puzzles apart
    Questions of science, science and progress
    Do not speak as loud as my heart
    And tell me you love me, come back and haunt me
    Oh and I rush to the start
    Running in circles, chasing tails
    Coming back as we are
    Nobody said it was easy
    Oh it's such a shame for us to part
    Nobody said it was easy
    No one ever said it would be so hard
    I'm going back to the start
    - Coldplay

Missing James,

I can't even begin to understand how you feel, but please know James and all of his family are in our prayers. Please keep us updated on any news that comes within the next couple of weeks.
    God Bless

any news?

this is terrible! I want to go after those jerks myself!!

Quote Originally Posted by fourboys
    This article states it may be someone missing from Carbondale:

<snip>

The decomposed body was found in a dry riverbed Sept. 20. Autopsy reports are inconclusive and no cause of death has been determined, according to officials at the Lackawanna County Coroner's Office.

Bellefonte police became aware of the find late last week, and Detective Tom Thal contacted police in Scranton, according to Bellefonte police Officer Darrel Zaccagni. "Someone disappeared a few months ago from Carbondale and (Scranton police) feel real comfortable that it was him they found," Zaccagni said.

http://www.centredaily.com/mld/centredaily/12778413.htm
    this story was from about 2+ weeks ago... surely they've made an identification by now.... is this James? Anyone??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast