Led Zeppelin loses first 'Stairway to Heaven' round in plagiarism lawsuit *Wins in Appeal*

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Led Zeppelin loses first round in 'Stairway to Heaven' plagiarism lawsuit (UPI)

"What happened to Randy California and Spirit is wrong. Led Zeppelin needs to do the right thing and give credit where credit is due. Randy California
deserves writing credit for 'Stairway to Heaven' and to take his place as an author of Rock's greatest song," said the plaintiffs in their complaint.

more at links; videos of songs at one below

A US Court Thinks the Most Famous Song in History Might Be Stolen (mic.com)

Wow! I have that Spirit album...still and listened to it non stop back in the 70's IIRC. I never associated the two as Led Zepplin's is so distinctive and to my ear, different.

What do you think?

Wow! I have that Spirit album...still and listened to it non stop back in the 70's IIRC. I never associated the two as Led Zepplin's is so distinctive and to my ear, different.

What do you think?
Had it also, didn't either. And yet....

Whatever the case, Spirit was a very underrated band.

daum.... love both bands, saw both. Spirit was a phenomenal band. Sure sounds like they owned it.

[video=youtu;xd8AVbwB_6E]http://youtu.be/xd8AVbwB_6E[/video]

Yup. Plagiarized.

[video=youtu;xd8AVbwB_6E]http://youtu.be/xd8AVbwB_6E[/video]

Yup. Plagiarized.
Only parts of it sound the same to me. Led Zeppelin way improved on this song!

I have both albums as well (still)! and no way no how do I hear the steal. Gee whiz. Let sleeping black dogs lie :drumroll:

What do you think?

Not the whole song but enough sounds the same to me.

So stolen that it makes George Harrison's sweeping appropriation in "My Sweet Lord" of the Chiffons-sung Ronnie Mack song "He's So Fine" sound like an afterthought. (And I say this with just a noodge of hyperbole.)

I love me some Zep ("Immigrant Song," "Gallows Pole" in my all-time Top 50) but they "borrowed" like fiends.

If nothing else, this case can serve as an intro to some about how good Spirit were. Randy California was an amazing talent. Check out the single "I Got a Line on You" and the album 'Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus,' for example. Zounds.

The court's ruling only relates to jurisdiction and doesn't yet address whether Led Zeppelin violated any copyright laws.

That, and the time he wouldn't take a picture with me (Los Angeles, February 1993).

Randy didn't have a problem with it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melissawilkinson44
Back