934 users online (119 members and 815 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 101 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast
    I'm pretty sure this has been discussed before but does anyone know, off the top of their heads, how much time he would serve before being elligible for parole if he was sentenced to, say, 8 years with 4 of the 8 suspended? Would he be out after 2 years or 4? Thanks in advance and, if you want to make me feel better, please tell me it's at least 4.

Strapped in.

Good morning all.

For once I get to watch the trial live. ( And even though I am middle of a house move I can't miss this due to packing and removals!)

Here's hoping for something better.

A heavy weight on Masipa's shoulders now - when she was being given the subtle warnings by Nel she looked quite teed off BUT here's hoping she has realised the error of her ways and she does something truly positive and meaningful.

This is the first trial I have ever watched and it hasn't been pretty!

Quote Originally Posted by toevlugsoord View Post
    A few questions:

- Do the lawyers find out the verdict before JM proclaims it?

- Does OP find out too? or is it really a bombshell she drops right then and there?

- Will we ever know the truth about certain elements, post-trial (when it seems more people are interviewed etc.)? Like where Frank went? What about those jeans outside? etc.?
    No
    No. Bombshell.
    No. No.

Pretoria, South Africa
    Weather

RIGHT NOW:
    FAIR 66F / 19C

==============================================

TODAY'S HIGH:
    MOSTLY SUNNY
    88F / 31C

==============================================

TONIGHT'S LOW:
    PARTLY CLOUDY
    57F / 14C

You must be the change you wish to see in the world. - Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by OZe View Post
    I'm pretty sure this has been discussed before but does anyone know, off the top of their heads, how much time he would serve before being elligible for parole if he was sentenced to, say, 8 years with 4 of the 8 suspended? Would he be out after 2 years or 4? Thanks in advance and, if you want to make me feel better, please tell me it's at least 4.

Strapped in.
    THIS IS FROM PANDAX on previous thread
    "Sentence more than 2 yrs (not life)

court can fix its own choice of non-parole period, up to a maximum of 2/3 sentence
    if no such period is stipulated in the sentence, eligible for parole after 1/2 of sentence
    if 1/4 of sentence has been served and less than 5 years incarceration remains, parole board can refer a case back to court to consider conversion to a community sentence with supporting evidence

Sentence less than 2 yrs

eligibile for parole after 1/4 of sentence

Special sentence option available to courts

begins with prison
    after 1/6 of the sentence automatically considered for correctional supervision by the parole board (no referral to court required)
    5 yrs max sentence

Sentence of correctional supervision, no imprisonment

can only be imposed “after a report of a probation officer or a correctional official has been placed before the court”
    3 yrs max sentence

(Parole is considered automatically at first eligibility, it does not need an application from the offender. If there is a partially suspended sentence, it is the direct jail term only which is used to work out the minimum detention period. If parole is granted, the partially suspended sentence does not replace the remainder of the direct jail sentence, they both run their full course.)"

Morning from a wet and wind lashed London...I have the day off work, Sky news is on and the coffee is brewing

Hoping Masipa will do the right thing

Don't want to 'steal' your Brenda Wardle tweets Aika but this one is interesting:

Brenda Wardle @BrendaWardle 6m 6 minutes ago
    In S v V it was held that the correctional officer's report must not be superficial nor should it reveal bias. #PistoriusTrial

Quote Originally Posted by OZe View Post

Strapped in.
    If no period before parole is stipulated, he'll be eligible after serving half (or 4 as per your post). Masipa has some discretion and could, but probably wouldn't, stipulate that he must spend up to 2/3 time in prison before being eligible.

From news24:

Barry and June Steenkamp have arrived at court. Meanwhile, Oscar Pistorius has left his uncle's home in Waterkloof, Pretoria.

Anyone watching this live feed?
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ence-live.html

It shows everyone arriving and interacting.
    June seems to get along well with ST and her mom.

I hope it's not going to be a short reading, she needs to really explain this one carefully after the too short and confused explanation from verdict announcement.

https://twitter.com/barrybateman/sta...24533701586944

"#OscarTrial Judge Thokozile Masipa is expected to take about an hour to hand down sentence. "

Masipa has shown her true colors. I expect she will fly those same colors today.

All I'm realistically hoping for today is that Nel slams down the Appeal gauntlet with a wicked smile, "Good."

Anything above and beyond that is pure gravy.

Alex Crawford got a front row position outside the courthouse. Do Sky get certain privileges or was she standing there all night to reserve her place?

Wouldn't miss today for the world. So glad to have been able to share this sad and frustrating journey with you all.

Homegirl, did you make these?

If you did, well... they're AMAZING!!

The second one gave me chills…

Thanks ColonelMustard. I am replying to this post since the other one closed. I did the collages in photoshop. I just wanted to do something constructive to ease frustrations and sadness for Reeva and those who love her. They can both use a little more work.

I would like for Nel to appeal too, but I hate the idea of OP walking out of court again, so I will be glad to see him get a custodial sentence. I am not too hpeful.

Page 2 of 101 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast