Identified! MS - Hancock Co., 'Rosa Doe' 414UFMS, 32-42, May'03 - Asenath Woodin

Unidentified White Female AKA: Rosa Doe
The victim was discovered on May 21, 2003 in Northern Hancock County, Mississippi
Estimated Date of Death: 3 days - 3 weeks

Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 32 - 42 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 5’1” - 5’4".
Dentals: Extensive Dental work including crowns and porcelain veneers.
Clothing: Her clothing had been burned off. Jewerly: two gold bands on her right hand, and on her left thumb, she wore a silver-tone “heart” shaped ring with a hollowed-out center.
AKA: Rosa Doe

Case History
The victim was located in the Nasa Buffer Zone area of Northern Hancock County, Mississippi on May 21, 2003.
Investigators believe it is possible that she was a transient & this was a drug deal gone bad. The area is known to have transients and crack addicts. She had been seen at truck stops around the I-10 & I-12 area of Louisiana. Unlike most addicts, at one point in her life, she had spent a lot of money on dental work including crowns and porcelain veneers.
It is possible that she was killed either in Louisiana or Pearl River County, MS and was brought to Santa Rosa for disposal.
Three possible suspects have been interviewed regarding the death of "Rosa Doe" , but no charges have been made against anyone yet.

The Doe Network: Case File 414UFMS
Agency Case Number: 03-07192
NCIC Number: U-350004590

If you have any information about this case please contact: Hancock County Sheriff's Office, Investigator Rita Blaize-Watson 228-467-0325

Source Information:
Hancock County Sheriff's Office

Link:
http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/414ufms.html

I wonder if this photo was circulated among dentists in Mississippi and Louisiana? Maybe one of them would recognize her if they did her work. Also, if a copy of everything she had done accompanied the photo, that would be a big help in getting her recognized by dentists.

Is there anyone that does work like this? Would the ADA be willing, do you think, to help out in instances like this, where there is extensive work and a reconstruction?

Rosa Doe, Unidentified White Female, 32-42, died May 2003, LA or MS

Unidentified White Female AKA: Rosa Doe
The victim was discovered on May 21, 2003 in Northern Hancock County, Mississippi
Estimated Date of Death: 3 days - 3 weeks

Vital Statistics
Estimated age: 32 - 42 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 5’1” - 5’4".
Dentals: Extensive Dental work including crowns and porcelain veneers.
Clothing: Her clothing had been burned off. Jewerly: two gold bands on her right hand, and on her left thumb, she wore a silver-tone “heart” shaped ring with a hollowed-out center.
AKA: Rosa Doe

Case History
The victim was located in the Nasa Buffer Zone area of Northern Hancock County, Mississippi on May 21, 2003.

Investigators believe it is possible that she was a transient & this was a drug deal gone bad. The area is known to have transients and crack addicts. She had been seen at truck stops around the I-10 & I-12 area of Louisiana. Unlike most addicts, at one point in her life, she had spent a lot of money on dental work including crowns and porcelain veneers.

It is possible that she was killed either in Louisiana or Pearl River County, MS and was brought to Santa Rosa for disposal.

Three possible suspects have been interviewed regarding the death of "Rosa Doe" , but no charges have been made against anyone yet.

The Doe Network: Case File 414UFMS
Agency Case Number: 03-07192
NCIC Number: U-350004590

If you have any information about this case please contact: Hancock County Sheriff's Office, Investigator Rita Blaize-Watson 228-467-0325

Source Information:
Hancock County Sheriff's Office

Link:
http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/414ufms.html

It has been five years since I first posted this case. Unfortunately, she is still unidentified and the case is still open and unsolved.

I see her image but can they describe the hair color? I can't tell if that is dirty blond, brown or what.

I was looking at NAMUS and unfortunately under dental information most say on file or not available without describing any dental work done.

I have several questions regarding this case. First off, do they know for sure she was a transient? Did they report any drugs found in her system? Just because she was found in an area frequented by addicts and transients doesn't necessarily mean she IS/WAS a transient/addict. Unless they have some proof that she was....which I only have read about the assumption that she was.

Any reason she is called "Rosa Doe"? Is she of Hispanic decent...or am I missing something. (an assumption I make when I hear the name Rosa)

Rule-outs from Namus

Brenda Snouffer 1962 Florida
Gwendolyn Suchy 1954 Texas

Some resemblances from the UID drawing...

Melinda McGhee http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/mcghee_melinda.html
Angela Fullmer- Circumstances don't add up...but for what it is worth http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/f/fullmer_angela.html
Barbara Laster http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/l/laster_barbara.html

I have several questions regarding this case. First off, do they know for sure she was a transient? Did they report any drugs found in her system? Just because she was found in an area frequented by addicts and transients doesn't necessarily mean she IS/WAS a transient/addict. Unless they have some proof that she was....which I only have read about the assumption that she was.

the Doe Network page says she had been seen at truck stops in Louisiana so we can all draw our own conclusions from that.

the Doe Network page says she had been seen at truck stops in Louisiana so we can all draw our own conclusions from that.

Thanks! Always a good idea to re-read the info :blushing:

I guess it depends on what she was "seen" doing while at the truck stops then. Fair enough...

Thanks! Always a good idea to re-read the info :blushing:

I guess it depends on what she was "seen" doing while at the truck stops then. Fair enough...

That, sadly, makes me worry that maybe they didn't try all that hard to find out who she is. Middle-aged prostitute with a drug problem, happens all the time, too bad but here comes the next case...

That, sadly, makes me worry that maybe they didn't try all that hard to find out who she is. Middle-aged prostitute with a drug problem, happens all the time, too bad but here comes the next case...

I found the whole report to be shockingly cruel honestly; which is why I suppose how I missed the part about her being seen at truckstops. I was shocked by the numerous mentions to transients and addicts...not necessarily in regards to where she was found, but regarding who she was.

I found the whole report to be shockingly cruel honestly; which is why I suppose how I missed the part about her being seen at truckstops. I was shocked by the numerous mentions to transients and addicts...not necessarily in regards to where she was found, but regarding who she was.

If she had been seen at more than one truck stop in the area, she could have been a local, too. I know of quite a number of women in my area who go to the truck stops to pick up some cash when the rent is due, or to trade sex for drugs.

Any reason she is called "Rosa Doe"? Is she of Hispanic decent...or am I missing something. (an assumption I make when I hear the name Rosa)

This is local to me, so I can answer this one. I've worked at the NASA site for years now, and when Rosa was found, I worked at the local newspaper (though I was not the reporter on this story).

When NASA Stennis Space Center was constructed in the early 1960s, several small towns were located within the area that would become known as the "buffer zone" (the area around the site where no habitation is allowed). The towns are all gone now, but they still use the names of them to refer to some areas.

Rosa Doe was found in an area that was once the town of Santa Rosa, hence her name. No hispanic heritage that I'm aware of.

This is local to me, so I can answer this one. I've worked at the NASA site for years now, and when Rosa was found, I worked at the local newspaper (though I was not the reporter on this story).

When NASA Stennis Space Center was constructed in the early 1960s, several small towns were located within the area that would become known as the "buffer zone" (the area around the site where no habitation is allowed). The towns are all gone now, but they still use the names of them to refer to some areas.

Rosa Doe was found in an area that was once the town of Santa Rosa, hence her name. No hispanic heritage that I'm aware of.

Wow, thank you so much for the insight!

Are you, by chance, aware of any of those articles being available on-line? I did attempt a search but came up empty.

What do you guys think of Janice Matney? History of mental illness, drug use, and transient living? I am at work so I'm unable to do a side-by-side of the recon and her photos...

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/matney_janice.html

side by side; she certainly looks like a possibility to me. Timeline and general stats fit.

Attachments

• matney_janice2.jpg
    matney_janice2.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 414UFMS (rosa doe).jpg
    414UFMS (rosa doe).jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 20
  • matney_janice4.jpg
    matney_janice4.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 11
Wow, thank you so much for the insight!

Are you, by chance, aware of any of those articles being available on-line? I did attempt a search but came up empty.

What do you guys think of Janice Matney? History of mental illness, drug use, and transient living? I am at work so I'm unable to do a side-by-side of the recon and her photos...

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/matney_janice.html

You're welcome! Unforunately, the newspaper I worked for (Picayune Item) did a web-site overhaul a few years back, and the archives from the years pre-redesign aren't available. :(

I think the potential match is possible, though -- good sleuthing!

Janice Matney has been rule-out as a match via DNA. (She hasn't been added to the Namus List, fwiw)

I didn't notice when Janice's profile was updated on Namus to include the DNA sample submission, I assume it had to be fairly recent.

Here is part of the reply from the LSU lab:

"According to the information I could locate there are no dental records available with which to do a dental comparison. DNA from a daughter (Matney's) has been collected and tested"

UID: https://identifyus.org/cases/854

The following people have been ruled out as being this decedent: First Name Last Name Year Of Birth State LKA

Erin Davis 1978 Mississippi
Brenda Snouffer 1962 Florida
Gwendolyn Suchy 1954 Texas

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member