GUILTY FL - Elias Geronimo, 3, shaken to death, Lantana, 7 July 2005

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
Walfrido Pina was simply supposed to drive his girlfriend's son to day care, but along the way police say he took the crying 3 1/2-year-old to a motel room and shook him so violently, he died.

Pina, 23, was charged with first-degree murder and aggravated child abuse in the shaking death of Alias Geronimo, according to Lantana police. Pina dropped the boy's mother off at work Thursday morning and should have been on the way to day care. But by 9 a.m., Alias was bruised and unresponsive in room 129 at the Motel 6 on West Lantana Road.

When the child's mother, Tabatha "Tina" Geronimo, returned to the motel, she accompanied Alias and Pina to JFK Medical Center. Doctors immediately transferred the toddler to Delray Medical Center, where he later died, Rundle said.

"Alias was a very happy child. It's a shock when you see the baby to think 24 hours before, he was riding his bike, playing with cats and he was happy. His forehead is black and blue. He has bruises on shoulders, neck and legs. All from one day," Sepulveda said.

Alias is older than most children who suffer from shaken baby syndrome, expert Michele Poole said.

"You get an innocent child who does not know how to prevent the whiplashing. It's more the size than the age that's going to be a factor," said Poole, president of the National Shaken Baby Coalition from her home in western Lake Worth.

It is estimated that 1,500 children die each year from shaken baby syndrome and thousands more will survive with long-term health effects.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localnews/content/local_news/epaper/2005/07/10/s1c_BABYDEATH_0710.html

The 3-year-old boy was crying and calling for "his mommy" when his mother's boyfriend grabbed the child by the throat and shook him, police said.

Walfrido Pina, 23, shook Elias Geronimo at least another two or three times to "shut him up" as they waited in a Lantana motel room for the child's mother to finish work on Thursday, police said.

With the child's eyes half-open, Pina didn't take him to the hospital. Four hours later, only at the mother's insistence, did the toddler get care. By then, it was too late.

Although Calderon had left her son alone with Pina only once before, she had watched him around the boy for the six months they had been dating and thought he would be fine.

Calderon thinks the boy started crying again after he wet his pants and Pina tried to bathe him, something he usually wanted only his mother to do.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/lo...ld12jul12,0,3216183.story?coll=sfla-news-palm

mysteriew said:
The 3-year-old boy was crying and calling for "his mommy" when his mother's boyfriend grabbed the child by the throat and shook him, police said.

Walfrido Pina, 23, shook Elias Geronimo at least another two or three times to "shut him up" as they waited in a Lantana motel room for the child's mother to finish work on Thursday, police said.

With the child's eyes half-open, Pina didn't take him to the hospital. Four hours later, only at the mother's insistence, did the toddler get care. By then, it was too late.

Although Calderon had left her son alone with Pina only once before, she had watched him around the boy for the six months they had been dating and thought he would be fine.

Calderon thinks the boy started crying again after he wet his pants and Pina tried to bathe him, something he usually wanted only his mother to do.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/palmbeach/sfl-pchild12jul12,0,3216183.story?coll=sfla-news-palm

How awful. :( I read the article the mother doesnt seem as upset about it as I would imagine being in her situation.Everyone deals with grief diffrently I guess. Ive read alot of articles lately in the papers and watched alot of news stories on the news about children being hurt or killed by mothers boyfriend. Whats up ladies?? Is this a new trend? Little children are serious buisness they are the most important you will ever have in your whole life. They need to be cared for as such!!!!

Mygirlsadie said:
How awful. :( I read the article the mother doesnt seem as upset about it as I would imagine being in her situation.Everyone deals with grief diffrently I guess. Ive read alot of articles lately in the papers and watched alot of news stories on the news about children being hurt or killed by mothers boyfriend. Whats up ladies?? Is this a new trend? Little children are serious buisness they are the most important you will ever have in your whole life. They need to be cared for as such!!!!

Partly I think it is drug use, and partly it does seem to be trend. I don't know if the media is reporting it differently or we are just paying more attention. Either way, it is happening way too often.

From October 2007:

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2007-10-02/news/0710020014_1_sentence-plea-deal-child-abuse

Just weeks ago, 25-year-old Walfrido Pina faced a possible death sentence if convicted as charged of aggravated child abuse and first-degree murder in the fatal shaking of his girlfriend's 3-year-old son. On Monday, a day before his trial was set to begin, Pina accepted a last-minute plea deal that will send him to prison for 20 years, with credit for the 814 days he has already spent in jail.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unimog
Back