TX - Mrs G's arrest & SAPD's war on the poor

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
San Antonio Express-News:

Police arrest well-known homeless woman

San Antonio police arrested Mrs. G. yesterday.

Few people who live and work downtown know her full name. Some people call her “Ms. G.” Or, “Ms. Erma.”

Her actual name is Erma Jean Grant, 71. She’s a petite woman who’s been camping on Houston Street near the Starbucks at St. Mary’s Street for the past couple years.

After the city of San Antonio removed park benches on Houston Street in a controversial attempt to discourage loitering, San Antonio police arrested Grant Thursday afternoon, which attracted a small crowd of onlookers who thought it was unnecessary and heavy handed.
---
the rest, with pictures and arrest video, at the link

why is a 71 year-old woman seemingly alone on the streets at night? and for two years! it's unconscionable

:( yeah, locking her up solves something? I am with you LadyL, I am so sad she is on the street to begin with.

Unless she is proven in a court of law to be person in need of supervision (different states call it different things), she has the right to live in a place she rents, buys, or to camp in appropriate spots. The government cannot just force people to live like we think they should. I think the arrest is ridiculous. But until a family member steps in to become a guardian or She is mentally unfit to make her own decisions, she has a right to live as she sees fit.

San Antonio Express-News:

Police arrest well-known homeless woman

the rest, with pictures and arrest video, at the link

"As another officer prepared to load her into the paddy wagon, police found several wallets and socks under her jacket filled with money. Grant was carrying four social security checks and $758.03 in cash, according to the police."

Looks to me like she is a panhandler and probably a thief. No one has to live on the street. Those of us who work hard to fed our families pay out the wazoo to support people who make more money begging than I make in an honest workday.

Good job, SAPD!

MOO

She is living where she wants, how she wants. If those checks were stolen, she needs to be prosecuted accordingly. She did not get to the age she is without learning how to take care of herself, on the streets or otherwise.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back