998 users online (191 members and 807 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

FL - Romina Fernandez, 17, found burned at Sweetwater strip mall, 10 Oct 2014

http://www.local10.com/news/body-fou...andez/29199764

A body found behind a strip mall in Sweetwater Saturday night has been identified as that of 17-year-old Romina Fernandez.

According to investigators, officers were called to the strip mall on Flagler Street and 114th Avenue at about 9:15 p.m. after reports of fire. Once the fire was extinguished, Fernandez's body was discovered.
    http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...le3376877.html

Andrea Perez began to worry when night fell on Oct. 10 and there was no sign of her teenage daughter, Romina. Her worry turned to fear when she got a text message from Rominaís cellphone ó ďHi mom, Iím OK. Iím moving to New York with a friend. Donít worry.Ē The words catch in her throat as she struggles to explain it ó the message just wasnít from her daughter...

Friends of Romina told Perez that the night she disappeared ó at 6:20 p.m. ó she called them. In Spanish, the teen said she couldnít be their friend anymore and was moving to New York with a man. Perez says her daughter never spoke to her friends in Spanish...

Wednesday, as Perez worked to process the news of her daughterís death, she received a letter in the mail. The note echoed the earlier text message and phone call ó in her daughterís handwriting. ďHola Mami. Iím OK. Iím going to New York with a friend. He bought me food and my medicine. Donít worry. Iíll call you in a month.Ē

Sounds like she was taken by traffickers.

JMHO
    fran

If traffickers, then why kill her? Because she was not cooperative? Not being a smartypants, just don't understand why they'd kill her. This is awful.
    "A word after a word after a word is power."
    ~Margaret Atwood~

wondering if there was a big complication in management of her Type 1 Diabetes -- it can be very tricky

"The teen was born in Uruguay. By 2, she was living in Miami. At 9, she was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes, which required her to inject insulin after every meal. When Romina vanished, her upcoming doses of insulin remained intact.

Romina had left Miami Killian Senior High last year after complications from the disease caused her to miss too many days of school."

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...#storylink=cpy
    Just My Opinion

So if she died from diabetic issues why make the fake text and phone call? Why burn her body? The man who set up the fund raiser for the family to help pay for funeral expenses says Romina was "kidnapped, tortured and murdered," Basheer Mustafa said on the page he set up to help her family.

Mustafa, the owner of Quick Pik, the neighborhood's store, knew Romina, because she was polite and friendly when she visited the store. He organized a Sunday fundraiser at a park.

http://www.local10.com/news/services...onday/29356176

IMO, her killer was known to Romina. He recognized that she took medication; maybe she pleaded with him to let her go because she needed to take medication, so he wanted everyone to be assured her medical needs were being attended to. But, I surmise that he didn't understand the severity of her disease. Also, that he mailed Romina's mother a letter -- and let Romina phone her friends -- just before murdering Romina suggests that he wanted people to believe she disappeared of her own accord so they wouldn't look for her/report her to LE as missing. I'm thinking he's pretty young and didn't realize that a burnt body could be identified.

The communications in Spanish -- were they a signal to her mother and friends that everything was NOT okay? May be a clue that her abductor-killer is Latino? The letter seems coerced, and I believe the phone call was, too, but Romina may have been attempting to send a message of distress the only way she knew how. If she was convinced her abductor didn't understand Spanish, Romina would surely have relayed her distress to her family & friends. Since she didn't do so but communicated in Spanish, I think it's very likely her abductor-killer speaks fluent Spanish. Otherwise, he would not have allowed her to converse with family & friends in Spanish.

I hope LE finds Romina's killer soon and that justice will be served.
    "Some circumstantial evidence is very strong, as when you find a trout in the milk."
    - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by colette View Post
    So if she died from diabetic issues why make the fake text and phone call? Why burn her body? The man who set up the fund raiser for the family to help pay for funeral expenses says Romina was "kidnapped, tortured and murdered," Basheer Mustafa said on the page he set up to help her family.

Mustafa, the owner of Quick Pik, the neighborhood's store, knew Romina, because she was polite and friendly when she visited the store. He organized a Sunday fundraiser at a park.

my post was based on earlier reports provided in the posts previous to mine. At the time I posted no cause of death had been released.

Your link provides the torture and murder information.
    Just My Opinion

Maybe they did take her at first for the purpose of traffiking but changed thier mind after finding out she is a diabetic and if she needs insylin on a regular basis just makes for to many complications for them so they decided not to use her and killed her..
    Everything I Write Is JMHO ..

There may be DNA on the letter if the killer licked the envelope. I'm sure that LE has/is testing.

I wonder how known that gas station owner is to her family, if at all? That's very nice of him to set up a fund, of course, but.. hm.
    It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy.

----

This is horrible.

IIRC, there was another case (or two) recently where a teen's body was set on fire...trying to remember...anyone? Tia.

So many cases recently where the perps text from the victim's phones, trying to act like the victims.

Quote Originally Posted by margarita25 View Post
    This is horrible.

IIRC, there was another case (or two) recently where a teen's body was set on fire...trying to remember...anyone? Tia.

So many cases recently where the perps text from the victim's phones, trying to act like the victims.
    One recent case is the death of 15-year-old Dominique Allen. Her body was found burning behind a home in Indianapolis. Here is the link to her thread:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ianapolis-home
    "Some circumstantial evidence is very strong, as when you find a trout in the milk."
    - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Indy Anna View Post
    One recent case is the death of 15-year-old Dominique Allen. Her body was found burning behind a home in Indianapolis. Here is the link to her thread:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ianapolis-home
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by margarita25 View Post

What's the latest?
    It looks like this is the most recent:

Nothing new on the investigation and not much news about Romina's murder at all. This is really sad:

< snipped > Romina's family was renting a mobile home, when that wasn't allowed at at the Li'l Abner Mobile Home Park, 11239 NW 4th Terrace, in Miami. Mustafa learned Romina's mom, Andrea Perez, got an eviction letter, as she dealt with the loss of her daughter.
    - Henry David Thoreau

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast