TN - Gordon Schaffer, 22, slain in Papa John's robbery, Columbia, 20 Oct 2014

noZme

Reaction score
I saw this story following a link to another case & didn't see as WS thread.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...neral-slain-employee-family-article-1.1990720

October 20, 2014, Gordon Schaffer, 22, was alone, working a late shift, when he was ambushed by two masked men. He handed over the cash, but was shot & killed anyway buy 2 thugs.

Darious A. Fitzpatrick, 17, was arrested Wednesday and charged with first-degree murder, felony murder and aggravated robbery, among other charges in previous robberies.Yep, 17 years old with a gun & prior robberies. Details are in the piece. .... A second suspect is still wanted by police.

The article is about
John Schnatter, founder & CEO of the restaurant chain attending the funeral & offering to pay the burial expenses. But, I think the real story is a young man, Gordon Schaffer was working for a living when sorry, good-for-nothing, low-life thugs cut his life short. They weren't interested in working for what they get; they wanted something for nothing. And isn't that the backstory to many crimes we discuss?

I haven't had time to research Mr Schaffer or see if the 2nd guy was caught but I wanted to put this out there. Apparently, his was not a story that made headlines. Why, because, IMO, we see this every day & are desensitized to a regular ol' holdup, robbery, shooting. But fellow sleuths, this is exactly the kind of crime that puts us all in danger. This young man was not killed because of risky behavior; he was at work. (
Please thank & comment if you agree. )

What is wrong with this world?

Senseless killing. This poor man was shot and killed because supposedly he wouldn't give him more money when the register was emptied. The police asked Fitzpatrick if he shot Gordon to scare him and he replied " i shot him to kill him". I hope this guy gets punished to the full extent of the law.

Schaffer's stepfather told News 2 his stepson began working at the Columbia Papa John's several months ago.

He said he was experienced, having previously worked at the Papa John's in Cool Springs and in Green Hills, and never feared for his safety working alone late at night.

Schaffer's mother, Mollie Buckner, remembered her son as the kind of man who would have offered to help anyone in need, even the men that robbed him.

"Had they come to him and said they needed something, he would have brought them home, fed them, and let them stay at our house," Buckner told News 2. "He would have given them anything that they wanted."

Family members say while arrests in the case bring some closure, they don't bring Gordon back.

"It doesn't change the fact that the most precious thing I've ever had was taken from me. But it's good to know they can't do this to someone else," his mother said.
In addition to the Papa John's case, Fitzpatrick faces two aggravated robbery counts for Dollar General store robberies that took place at the store on East James M. Campbell Boulevard on Oct. 13 and at the store on Bear Creek Pike on Oct. 17.

http://www.wkrn.com/story/26838177/papa-johns-employee-shot-and-killed-during-robbery

RIP Gordon :(

This is the kind of crime that angers me deep down below the pit of my stomach, my soul, perhaps. Completely senseless killing, totally selfish. To me this person is just as much a sociopath or psychopath as Ted Bundy, and needs to be away from normal society for life.

Second suspect in Papa John's shooting surrenders - April 2015

Police said Friday in a news release that Kavoyeh Quantez Pye, 17, turned himself in and has been charged with felony murder and aggravated robbery.

Third suspect arrested in 2014 Papa John’s murder - December 2016

Majestick Alveleano Gillespie, 21, was arrested after he was indicted by a grand jury Tuesday for the murder of 22-year-old Gordon Schaffer, District Attorney Brent Cooper confirmed Thursday. He remained in the Maury County Jail on Thursday in lieu of a $250,000 bond.

Police arrested Darious Fitzpatrick, who was 17 at the time, shortly after the incident. He told police during an interrogation that he shot the victim intending to kill him. Kavoyeh Pye, also 17, was identified a few months later and turned himself in on charges of felony murder and especially aggravated robbery. Both still await trial, Cooper said.

“Mr. Fitzpatrick is still incarcerated, and I’ve heard that Mr. Pye recently made his bond that was set,” Cooper said.

From last month:

http://www.columbiadailyherald.com/news/20180412/jury-sentences-fitzpatrick-to-life-in-2014-papa-johns-murder

For the murder of 22-year-old Gordon Schaffer, a Columbia jury has sentenced Darius Fitzpatrick to life in prison, a sentence of 60 years with eligibility for parole after 51 calendar years.

Fitzpatrick was named guilty to charges of second-degree felony murder and aggravated robbery in Maury County’s Criminal Circuit Court.

Fitzpatrick’s sentencing hearing has been set for May, 21, along with a pre-sentence investigation and report.

Girlfriend speaks out in Papa John's murder case
Majestik Gillespie has been in the Maury County jail since November 2016, one of three suspects charged with felony murder and armed robbery in the October 2014 death of a Papa John’s Pizza employee.

Gillespie’s longtime girlfriend and two of his girlfriend’s sisters came to The Daily Herald on Tuesday and said they believe he should be released. They said he was at their mother’s home the night of the crime.

White said Pye is turning state’s evidence against Gillespie in order to save himself. She said Gillespie was working 40 hours a week when he was arrested, taking care of his children and girlfriend.

Cooper said Gillespie was arrested because the evidence pointed to him.

“About all I can say is Mr. Pye testified at Mr. Fitzpatrick’s trial. His testimony at that trial implicated Mr. Gillespie,” Cooper said. “His testimony was that Mr. Gillespie was more or less the one in charge, the older fella who told them where to go and what to do. We have evidence to collaborate his statements.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back