NV NV - Lake Mead, WhtMale 30-40, UP9127, MGB convertible & Derringer pistol nearby, Jan'88

artsy_ann

Reaction score
Hello! I'm new here so please let me know if I do anything wrong! The case that brought me here is an unidentified suicide from 1987. A man's body was discovered 1-1-88 200 feet off the water line at Lake Mead, near an area known as Lovers Cove, in Clark County, Nevada. At the scene there were receipts from a grocery store in Houston, Texas that were from October/November 1987.

On 12/12/87 a MGB Convertible was towed from the parking lot at Lake Mead. When it was searched more receipts from the Houston area were found along with a suicide note dated 12/6/87. It said that his mother died two months prior and that he had a terminal illness and did not want to prolong the inevitable. The note was signed Karl Klinge.

The car had Oklahoma plates, but it seems to have been a recent purchase. The car was traced back to the last registered owner that knew nothing about the man he sold the car to. The gun he used to kill himself was never registered or reported stolen.

So my thought is that he was in Houston in October/November because his mother died there. I am also assuming that his mother had a different last name than he did. What are your thoughts?

Doe Network case #2047umnv, NAMUS case # UP#9127, Clark County agency case #88-0009

Welcome, artsy ann. Where is the reference made to "Karl Klinge"?

On the Clark County website you can see on the index page, where all the unidentified cases are listed, when you scroll down and see the link to the page discussing this man- it says possible name Karl Klinge.

bflocket, are you sure the picture you posted has a connection to this case? I thought the remains were skeletal.

The pic is an example of a mandibaular tori, which the man was said to have had. It is not a photo of the remains.

It was somewhere on his FB page, I swear.

This is probably why we haven't been able to find the name...

http://www.clarkcountynv.gov/Depts/coroner/unidentified/Pages/default.aspx
To better serve your needs, all Clark County unidentified decedents are now listed on the NamUs website. Please use the NamUs site to search cases not only in Clark County but across the United States

I'm glad you gave the link to that thread, as it preserves the original report from the LV coroner before they handed (apparently parts of) their load over to NamUS. For some reason, that part didn't transfer to NamUS (the suicide note, his mother, etc.).

From that site:
Unidentified male found in Clark County,Nevada in 1988

Rick Jones D-ABMDI
Coroner Investigator
Latent Fingerprint Examiner
Clark County Office of the Coroner/Medical Examiner
1704 Pinto Lane
Las Vegas, Nevada 89106
Office # (702) 455-3210
Direct # (702) 455-4271
Fax # (702) 455-3101
E-mail: rnj@co.clark.nv.us

The decedent's partial skeletal remains were found on 1/1/88 next to a handgun and near a vehicle in a remote location in the Lake Mead Recreational Park. Animal activity was evident and had been feeding on the remains. A Forensic Anthropologist determined the decedent was a Caucasian male between the age of 30-35 years old. A suicide noted found in the vehicle dated 12/6/87, stated his name was Karl Klinge, he had a terminal illness and didn't want to prolong the inevitable. It further stated that he had no family as his mother died 2 months ago and she was his only reason to live. There was no identification on his person or in the vehicle. We talked to the last registered owner of the vehicle and he remembered selling it but he did not know anything about the person he sold it to. The receipts came back to an auto store and a store named Kroger Company (food store) in Houston Texas. The handgun was never registered and not reported stolen. The gun manufacturer went out of business. We only found one Klinge who died near the 2 months and that was a Harriet Kling who died in Suffolk County NY in July 1987. There was no Forensic Artist rendering done at that time. Unfortunately the remains have already been buried. We additionally did not do DNA at that time (1988). He had extensive dental work with numerous restorations.

Pretty surprising that such important information could be left out . Any idea how I could request a copy of the suicide note?

If his mother was his only close relative, it's possible he was never reported missing. This may not be his real name, but maybe he had nobody to report him missing.

Also, he was quite short for a male. That should help narrow down the list of missing people. 5'2" seems short for a white male.

Have you seen other cases where someone signed a suicide note with a false name? I'm just curious if he possibly had poor handwriting and someone misread his name? Maybe it's actually Klinger or Kling or even King? I just feel like he didn't intend to go unidentified since he did sign the note.

Have you seen other cases where someone signed a suicide note with a false name? I'm just curious if he possibly had poor handwriting and someone misread his name? Maybe it's actually Klinger or Kling or even King? I just feel like he didn't intend to go unidentified since he did sign the note.

Many, sad to say. I've seen several on this website that will use a false name if one is included on the note.
Some of the more difficult cases on here are people who'd been living with a (carefully planned/acquired) false identity for years before they wind up dying or committing suicide.

This lady is a good example, even though the deception wasn't entirely her own. I thought it would be a cold day (double-digits below O for the high temp) in Hell before we'd know who she was, but somehow it finally happened.
OK - "Sharon Marshall" 8UFOK, Oklahoma City, 1990, Suzanne Marie Sevakis

The story of Suzanne is really incredible! I read about her finally being identified a few days ago. I will see if I can figure out how to acquire a copy of the suicide note. Thanks for your help :)

I'm pretty sure if this isn't him it is a HUGE coincidence! From KING County, Washington, 5'4", last seen in November 1987 wearing faded Levi's and a gray sweatshirt (same as the UID). Was going to the hospital for medication, which indicates some sort of ailment, and was known to have a stutter (maybe caused by a large bony growth in his mouth?) What do you guys think?

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/7050/5

Seems possible, but I feel like the car with Oklahoma plates and receipts from Houston, Texas dating from October/November don't match this man going missing from Washington in November.

It would fit if he was from Seattle, went to Houston to be with his dying mother, and then returned to Seattle to wrap up his loose ends before heading out again.

Or even was on his way back to Seattle and decided in Nevada that he didn't care enough to return? Would Nevada be on the way?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd
Back