781 users online (100 members and 681 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

CA - Suzie Pena, 19 mos, shot dead in Los Angeles standoff, 10 July 2005

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,162103,00.html

~snip~

Police officers shot and killed a man Sunday night when he emerged from his home carrying a young girl following an hours-long standoff and opened fire, wounding one officer, authorities said. The girl was also killed in the gunfire.
    The man killed was identified as Jose Raul Lemos, and the girl, about 17 months old, was related to him, police said. The officer, who was not immediately identified, was shot in the shoulder and was expected to survive.

There were three exchanges of gunfire between police and Lemos, who was either age 34 or 35, Assistant Police Chief Jim McDonnell told reporters. In the final exchange, at around 6:20 p.m., Lemos held the girl as he shot.

"We did everything we could to hold our fire," McDonnell said. "We showed a tremendous amount of restraint, but unfortunately the suspect's actions dictated this. ... It's a true tragedy."

~snip~

What is this world coming to?

This was so sad. I'm sure these officers tried their hardest to not kill that baby.

This post is my opinion only, and is subject to making me look totally confused

I agree, but the mother will most likely file a lawsuit anyway and get her pay day.

Authorities planned an autopsy today for a man who fired repeatedly at neighbors and police, and for his 17-month-old daughter whom he used as a shield before police stormed his apartment.

Jose Raul Lemos was embroiled in "a family dispute" that triggered his bizarre behavior Sunday night, Los Angeles Police Department Lt. Paul Vernon said this morning.

http://www.latimes.com/la-071105todd...home-headlines
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Mayor On Baby's Death: Police 'Were Doing Their Job'

Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa on Monday expressed his sorrow but supported police action that resulted in the death of a gunman and the baby daughter he allegedly used as a shield in a shootout with officers on Sunday.

http://www.nbc4.tv/news/4706621/detail.html
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Unhappy

What a sicko to use his toddler as a shield. Guess he figured the police wouldn't fire. Guess he gambled wrong!!!
    This is the year to locate Mark Dribin http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ht=Mark+Dribin NamUs MP#876 and Ilene Misheloff http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...lene+Misheloff NamUs MP#6410 and bring them home to their families!

Parents watch your children. Free-range parenting leads to more child victims.

Cruelty to humans begins with cruelty to animals.

I believe in closure, not forgiveness. I'm also unapologetically judgemental.

JeSuisJuif
    JeSuisCharlie

It really is sad.. I feel for the officers.. It must have been really hard on them... What else could they have done? You have this crazy man shooting at people while holding his baby as a shield... PLUS, I don't think this woman should sue.

This post is my opinion only, and is subject to making me look totally confused

Most parents would shield their children. Not use them as a shield.

The autopsy showed she was killed by a police bullet. Even though I'm sure the officer knows he/she had absolutely no choice, it won't ease his/her guilt over the senseless death of this beautiful little girl. Please keep the family and this officer (and his/her colleagues) in your prayers.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/07/13/tod...ing/index.html

Brother claims police had no patience

This is what gets me . . .

Los Angeles shootout sparks war of words

"'It's been cruel what's happened to my brother," German Pena said. "They didn't have any patience, none at all, knowing that my niece was with him, that he was a father. They should have acted with more patience.'"

"Pena, 34, was holding his daughter Suzy when he opened fire on police last Sunday, unleashing 40 shots in three separate exchanges . . .

"The 17-year-old stepdaughter escaped, later telling police that Pena was under the influence of cocaine and alcohol and had threatened to kill her, the toddler, his wife and himself, Bratton said."

I'm not real sure I understand what this man's family expected from the police.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyGraffix@mac.com
    This is what gets me . . .

Los Angeles shootout sparks war of words

"'It's been cruel what's happened to my brother," German Pena said. "They didn't have any patience, none at all, knowing that my niece was with him, that he was a father. They should have acted with more patience.'"

"Pena, 34, was holding his daughter Suzy when he opened fire on police last Sunday, unleashing 40 shots in three separate exchanges . . .

"The 17-year-old stepdaughter escaped, later telling police that Pena was under the influence of cocaine and alcohol and had threatened to kill her, the toddler, his wife and himself, Bratton said."

I'm not real sure I understand what this man's family expected from the police.

Sounds to me like the man's family is laying the groundwork for an upcoming lawsuit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mabel
    Sounds to me like the man's family is laying the groundwork for an upcoming lawsuit.
    Unfortunately, that's what I was thinking too. Heaven forbid they attribute some blame for the toddler's death to the drunk coke-user who was using her as a shield while firing off 40 rounds . . .

Unfortunately, that's what I was thinking too. Heaven forbid they attribute some blame for the toddler's death to the drunk coke-user who was using her as a shield while firing off 40 rounds . . .
    Well...he probably had a bad childhood, you know....can't blame him and all that crap. He wasn't really gonna shoot anyone. What's really disgusting is that some attorney will take the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Mabel
    What's really disgusting is that some attorney will take the case.
    Oh, lawd . . . I hadn't even gotten there yet!

It's obvious they are posturing for a lawsuit. We've had these situations where I live. Just as you don't take a knife to a gunfight, you don't call police in a volatile situation and expect them to perform psychiatric services and leave their guns in the car. I read the wife claimed this scum "just needed help", and she wanted the police to "help" him. The responsibility for that poor little girl's death rests squarely on her father. My heart goes out to the officers involved.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast