CA - Suzie Pena, 19 mos, shot dead in Los Angeles standoff, 10 July 2005

IdahoMom

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,162103,00.html

~snip~

Police officers shot and killed a man Sunday night when he emerged from his home carrying a young girl following an hours-long standoff and opened fire, wounding one officer, authorities said. The girl was also killed in the gunfire.
The man killed was identified as Jose Raul Lemos, and the girl, about 17 months old, was related to him, police said. The officer, who was not immediately identified, was shot in the shoulder and was expected to survive.

There were three exchanges of gunfire between police and Lemos, who was either age 34 or 35, Assistant Police Chief Jim McDonnell told reporters. In the final exchange, at around 6:20 p.m., Lemos held the girl as he shot.

"We did everything we could to hold our fire," McDonnell said. "We showed a tremendous amount of restraint, but unfortunately the suspect's actions dictated this. ... It's a true tragedy."

~snip~
:doh:
What is this world coming to?

:eek: :( This was so sad. I'm sure these officers tried their hardest to not kill that baby.

Authorities planned an autopsy today for a man who fired repeatedly at neighbors and police, and for his 17-month-old daughter whom he used as a shield before police stormed his apartment.

Jose Raul Lemos was embroiled in "a family dispute" that triggered his bizarre behavior Sunday night, Los Angeles Police Department Lt. Paul Vernon said this morning.

http://www.latimes.com/la-071105toddler_lat,0,2099051.story?coll=la-home-headlines

Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa on Monday expressed his sorrow but supported police action that resulted in the death of a gunman and the baby daughter he allegedly used as a shield in a shootout with officers on Sunday.

http://www.nbc4.tv/news/4706621/detail.html

What a sicko to use his toddler as a shield. Guess he figured the police wouldn't fire. Guess he gambled wrong!!!:( :sick: :mad:

It really is sad.. I feel for the officers.. It must have been really hard on them... What else could they have done? You have this crazy man shooting at people while holding his baby as a shield... PLUS, I don't think this woman should sue. :twocents:

Most parents would shield their children. Not use them as a shield. :mad:

This is what gets me . . .

Los Angeles shootout sparks war of words

"'It's been cruel what's happened to my brother," German Pena said. "They didn't have any patience, none at all, knowing that my niece was with him, that he was a father. They should have acted with more patience.'"

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/07/13/toddler.shooting/index.html

"Pena, 34, was holding his daughter Suzy when he opened fire on police last Sunday, unleashing 40 shots in three separate exchanges . . .

"The 17-year-old stepdaughter escaped, later telling police that Pena was under the influence of cocaine and alcohol and had threatened to kill her, the toddler, his wife and himself, Bratton said."

I'm not real sure I understand what this man's family expected from the police. :confused:

LadyGraffix@mac.com said:
This is what gets me . . .

Los Angeles shootout sparks war of words

"'It's been cruel what's happened to my brother," German Pena said. "They didn't have any patience, none at all, knowing that my niece was with him, that he was a father. They should have acted with more patience.'"

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/07/13/toddler.shooting/index.html

"Pena, 34, was holding his daughter Suzy when he opened fire on police last Sunday, unleashing 40 shots in three separate exchanges . . .

"The 17-year-old stepdaughter escaped, later telling police that Pena was under the influence of cocaine and alcohol and had threatened to kill her, the toddler, his wife and himself, Bratton said."

I'm not real sure I understand what this man's family expected from the police. :confused:

Sounds to me like the man's family is laying the groundwork for an upcoming lawsuit.

Mabel said:
Sounds to me like the man's family is laying the groundwork for an upcoming lawsuit.

Unfortunately, that's what I was thinking too. Heaven forbid they attribute some blame for the toddler's death to the drunk coke-user who was using her as a shield while firing off 40 rounds . . .

Unfortunately, that's what I was thinking too. Heaven forbid they attribute some blame for the toddler's death to the drunk coke-user who was using her as a shield while firing off 40 rounds . . .

Well...he probably had a bad childhood, you know....can't blame him and all that crap. He wasn't really gonna shoot anyone. What's really disgusting is that some attorney will take the case.

It's obvious they are posturing for a lawsuit. We've had these situations where I live. Just as you don't take a knife to a gunfight, you don't call police in a volatile situation and expect them to perform psychiatric services and leave their guns in the car. I read the wife claimed this scum "just needed help", and she wanted the police to "help" him. The responsibility for that poor little girl's death rests squarely on her father. My heart goes out to the officers involved.

An autopsy revealed evidence of cocaine in the body of Suzie Marie Peña, the toddler who died in a shootout between police and her father, who was using her as a shield, officials said Thursday.

Medical tests showed that the toddler's urine contained the drug benzoylechgoneine, into which cocaine metabolizes in the human body.

The autopsy showed the presence of a trace amount of the drug, according to Craig Harvey, spokesman for the Los Angeles County coroner. advertisement

Experts said it could have been ingested or inhaled. One official said the cocaine could have been eaten, come from breast milk, or been breathed in the form of dust.

Police found cocaine and narcotics in the room where Raul Peña held his daughter hostage. Both died in a shootout with Los Angeles Police Department officers in which Peña fired 40 rounds. Family members said the man was despondent, and had taken drugs and alcohol.
http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat//articles/0804lapd-toddler04-ON.html

This is among the ultimate of how low a human being can go...and how disgusting the human race is.
He not only uses his baby as a shield (f'n coward) but she has cocaine in her system at 19 months old....PLEEEEEZZZZZ.....it's going too far!
I cannot even verbalize my disgust...it's incomprehensable....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back