GUILTY AZ - Mia Castanon, 22 mos, dies at Tucson day care, 11 Sept 2014

OkieGranny

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
3276dd02-2152-43e8-b32c-29e930fca397_zps0880ab3b.jpg

http://www.wbtv.com/story/27055281/3-arrested-in-daycare-death

Detectives from the Dependent Child Unit responded to continue the investigation. They learned that at the time of the incident, there were five adults and 11 kids inside the daycare. The day care provider was identified as 31-year-old Daena Soto. Soto put the baby down for a nap around 4 p.m.; she was found a short time later unresponsive by a family member of Soto and they called 911 immediately.

As the investigation continued, detectives learned that family members of Soto began cleaning the residence prior to police arrival. Police reports state officers had to actually ask a woman to stop vacuuming when they arrived. Police also determined that the Daena Soto's mother-in-law, 55-year old Guadalupe Soto, removed a blanket from the home...

Court documents stated Guadalupe Soto carried the blanket with blood and vomit on it, in an empty beer case, past officers at the scene, and put it in her car. When questioned about it, court documents stated Soto said she had taken the blanket home, hosed it off in her front yard, and then thrown it out her car window while driving. Police served search warrants at Guadalupe Soto's home and also searched the streets, but were unable to find the blanket until a few days later.

http://tucson.com/news/local/crime/...cle_c2add86c-8d17-5795-b494-207660b462f9.html

Daena Soto, 31, who operated the Department of Economic Security certified family child-care home was facing charges of negligent homicide Monday...

An autopsy report showed that Mia died of asphyxia. Mia also suffered from brain swelling, and her body had contusions on the scalp, and abrasions and contusions on her body, according to the medical examiner’s report...

In addition to Daena Soto, her husband, Ricardo Soto Jr., 32, also was arrested Monday and is facing one count of tampering with evidence... Daena Soto’s mother-in-law, Guadalupe Soto, 55, was arrested earlier and is also facing one count of tampering with evidence, Widmer said.

I just can't trust these daycares anymore. I doubt I won't be a stay at home mom if I end up having children.

Every time something like this happens it clouds the fact that most child care providers care about the children they care for and people take the opportunity to guilt mothers who work. I have to work or else my family would be homeless. My son has had the same child care provider since 11 months old and is now 4. He is safe and happy. People like Daena Soto make me sick.

I wonder about some of these cases of very young children being murdered.

Presumably these people didn't have any particular motive to do it and don't want to suffer the legal penalty. So were they just Beaton the girl out of irritation without realizing how easy it is to cause serious harm?

Maybe this sounds cold but I can understand bad or drug-addicted or mad parents abusing their kids and it escalating into murder... but when your only involvement with a child is to watch it for a few hours... how do you wind up doing this?

Even if the wounds weren't fatal just leaving a noticeable bruise could lead to imprisonment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every time something like this happens it clouds the fact that most child care providers care about the children they care for and people take the opportunity to guilt mothers who work. I have to work or else my family would be homeless. My son has had the same child care provider since 11 months old and is now 4. He is safe and happy. People like Daena Soto make me sick.

While I agree that the vast majority of kids will not die in day care, I disagree with the degree of care most people think their child's caregiver provides. Not all, but many. The person who owns the business may have the appropriate credentials, knowledge, licensing to do such work, many of the people they hire are hs graduates or GED holders who know very little about child development and how to care for a child in new situations. Mostly, once the parents and boss are gone, they are hooked up to the internet and have no interest in interacting with your kid.
One of my good friends put her first baby in child care at 6 weeks of age which shocked me to start with, and then found out after some period of time that her kid was not being fed the bottles she sent with her. And she was trying to calm herself, talking about 'these things happen.' I did not stay in touch with her much after that. Her job was so important and she was important in it! They replaced her so fast when she quit after having her second daughter, I think she was shocked. Ladies, build a good nest before you lay your eggs. Life can be so much less stressful.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back