Brittany Maynard ended her life

Sad that such a beautiful life ended so soon; happy for her that she died with peace, on her own terms.

Rest in peace Brittany, praying for you and your loved ones.

After watching How to Die in Oregon (highly recommend no matter which side of the fence you're on), I gained perspective about death and our inability to control it. Thank you, Brittany, for sharing your struggle with the world and bringing awareness to the Death with Dignity laws. Fly high, Brittany! Rest in peace, dear angel.

R.I.P Brittany I am so sorry you didn't get the chance to have the long happy life you deserved. Your husband and family are in my prayers.

This post will surely show my ignorance on such things...but I'm guessing I'm not the only one wondering these things. How long does it take you to die from this type of procedure? I imagine you just fall asleep and stop breathing...but I can't help but think this might have been an agonizing thing for her family to stand by and watch happen. (I know...either way, it was going to be agonizing for them.)

The brain tumor was a tragedy; how she chose to deal with it was not. Good for Ms. Maynard. Good for Oregon!

This post will surely show my ignorance on such things...but I'm guessing I'm not the only one wondering these things. How long does it take you to die from this type of procedure? I imagine you just fall asleep and stop breathing...but I can't help but think this might have been an agonizing thing for her family to stand by and watch happen. (I know...either way, it was going to be agonizing for them.)

I was wondering that myself. How is this procedure different from how States administer the death penalty?

RIP Brittany - be at peace

I was wondering that myself. How is this procedure different from how States administer the death penalty?

RIP Brittany - be at peace

Execution by lethal injection takes typically about 10 min from the start of intravenously administered meds (referred to as "chemicals" in state laws and prison policies). The person is unconscious within seconds if the IV line is functioning properly. This is the same as a general anesthetic in the OR-- the person loses consciousness within seconds of the induction meds administered IV (not to be confused with sedation), and is apneic (unable to take a breath) seconds past losing consciousness. Induction meds are usually a combination of benzodiazepine, opioid, and propofol, plus a paralyzing agent (short acting, usually.) In general anesthetics, typically we administer a paralyzing agent also, to facilitate endotracheal intubation. The most common paralyzing agent in the OR is rocuronium (Zemuron), which will paralyze skeletal muscles (breathing muscles as well as arms, legs, etc) for about 25-40 min. In the OR, of course, we take over the task of breathing for the patient, using the mask and circuit on the anesthesia "gas" machine. We support blood pressure and heart rate, and once intubated, we "turn on" the anesthetic agents ("gas" + oxygen, and sometimes nitrous oxide).

In a judicial execution, no one takes over the task of breathing for the inmate, once he/ she loses consciousness. Cardiac arrest follows respiratory arrest. Each state uses different meds, or a combination. The end result is the same. The process is not painful as long as the doses are administered properly, and in huge enough amounts to effect unconsciousness within seconds. Execution doses of anesthetic meds are typically 10 to 20 times what we would use for a "normal" anesthetic. (And they have back up syringes, usually, for a second dose if needed.) A few states have a protocol for intramuscular shots as a back up plan if the IV fails, etc, but I have a lot of issues about that. (I'll spare you the lecture!)

Now, in compassionate end of life overdose, the meds prescribed are oral meds. Could be pills, or more effectively would be liquids, to speed absorption and onset, and ward off vomiting. State laws, as I understand them, require the terminally ill person to take them unassisted. I don't know for sure exactly which meds would be prescribed, but an enormous dose of highly concentrated opioids like dilaudid is most likely. ** Edited to add-- I'm wrong here! Secobarbital is the most commonly prescribed. See post #19 below for links. (Paralyzing drugs as used in general anesthetics would not "work" if administered orally, and these would not be used.)

If taken on an empty stomach to facilitate rapid absorption and defer vomiting, I think it's reasonable to assume the person would become unconscious within something under 30 min, and possibly much faster, depending on their level of debilitation. There is typically no air hunger with an opioid overdose-- opioid overdose is usually quite comfortable and peaceful. No anxiety. (This is why we worry about pain meds in the hospital so much.)

The person gently loses consciousness, and breathing becomes more shallow, breaths further apart. They will make snoring sounds if their airway is obstructed, which can often be relieved in a thinner person by simply tipping their head back. Once respiratory arrest has occurred (no further attempts to breathe), the heart will begin to go into fatal rhythm patterns. This is not noticed or painful by the dying person. Depending on the level of debilitation of the patient, and the health of their heart, this shouldn't take long-- maybe another 4-10 min. From my knowledge of anesthesia and meds, I'd think the whole process would be maybe 30-45 min at the most, and possibly a lot less.

RIP Brittany. I'm glad she got to leave on her terms, in the arms of her loved ones.

I thought I'd put in a recommendation for this new book, since the topic fits with this thread. I have the audible version on my phone for listening in the car, and am about half way thru it. Atul Gawande is a great author-- I love all his books. This newest one is just released Oct 7. It's a gread read (or listen!) for any interested.

http://www.amazon.com/Being-Mortal-...8&qid=1415114576&sr=8-1&keywords=being+mortal

Couple more links.

This is from the website/ blog of the founder of the Hemlock Society. He's the author of "Final Exit", a book about assisted suicide first out in the 80's, and now in its 3rd edition. Humphrey says a barbiturate is commonly prescribed, not an opioid. (Barbs are faster. Pentothal, which we used in anesthetic inductions for decades, is no longer available for IV administration. I wasn't thinking about oral barbs.)

http://www.amazon.com/Final-Exit-Practicalities-Self-Deliverance-Assisted/dp/0385336535

http://assisted-dying.org/blog/2006/04/12/drugs-used-in-judicial-executions-and-assisted-suicide/

FOOTNOTE by Derek Humphry: For the legal, medically-assisted suicide of a terminally ill, competent, adult Oregon resident who requests hastened death, a liquid containing nine grams of Nembutal or Seconal is offered to the patient. It normally induces almost immediate coma and death in less than an hour.

Only one case of failure out of some 230 has been reported, and it appears that in that case the drug was diluted by another substance which the patient took to reduce the bitter taste. In Oregon it is ONLY oral administration and subject to rules; injections of a lethal substance are illegal.

http://www.finalexitnetwork.org/

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/742070_3

Currently in Oregon, secobarbital is the medication most commonly prescribed for physician-assisted suicide, followed by pentobarbital.[3] The lethal dose prescribed is typically 9 g of secobarbital in capsules or 10 g of pentobarbital liquid, to be consumed at one time.[4–6] The contents of the secobarbital capsules or the pentobarbital liquid should be mixed with a sweet substance such as juice to mask the bitter taste. Until the time of use, the medication must be stored out of reach of children and kept away from others to prevent unintentional overdose or abuse.

The pharmacist or physician should instruct patients to take the lethal dose on an empty stomach to increase the rate of absorption.[7] The typical dose of pentobarbital as an oral hypnotic for adults is 100–200 mg at bedtime, and that of secobarbital is 100 mg orally at bedtime. Patients receiving the lethal dose of secobarbital or pentobarbital should be instructed to take an antiemetic (e.g., metoclopramide) about one hour before ingesting the barbiturate to prevent nausea and vomiting.[6] Cases of vomiting after taking an antiemetic have been reported; in the event of vomiting after medication ingestion, patients should be instructed to have a family member contact the attending physician to determine the course of action.[2] Also, patients should be instructed that if they decide not to end their life after ingesting the medication, they must contact emergency medical services to begin lifesaving measures.[2]

Since the Oregon DWDA took effect in 1997, 460 patients have died by self-administration of a lethal dose of a prescription medication.[11] In 2009, 95 prescriptions were written for lethal medications, resulting in 59 deaths (in the remaining cases, the medication was not ingested). About 80% of the patients had malignant cancer, and the most commonly ingested lethal medication was secobarbital (85% of cases). About 78% of the patients were 55–84 years of age. The time from ingestion to death ranged from two minutes to 4.5 days.[

We are all going to die. This is a fact.

Brittany was right when she said the medical establishment needs to get real (I'm paraphrasing obviously) about how it regards death. Death for all of us is inevitable.

I'm glad she had the choice, though sad that she was required to use it-- and sad she had to move to a different state for the law.

I have known 3 people who died from glio blastomas. All young, all under 40, all a parent. I wish they could have had the choice to pass on their own terms. Their decline was horrible to watch. Death was merciful in comparison. God Speed Brittany.

Execution by lethal injection takes typically about 10 min from the start of intravenously administered meds (referred to as "chemicals" in state laws and prison policies). The person is unconscious within seconds if the IV line is functioning properly. This is the same as a general anesthetic in the OR-- the person loses consciousness within seconds of the induction meds administered IV (not to be confused with sedation), and is apneic (unable to take a breath) seconds past losing consciousness. Induction meds are usually a combination of benzodiazepine, opioid, and propofol, plus a paralyzing agent (short acting, usually.) In general anesthetics, typically we administer a paralyzing agent also, to facilitate endotracheal intubation. The most common paralyzing agent in the OR is rocuronium (Zemuron), which will paralyze skeletal muscles (breathing muscles as well as arms, legs, etc) for about 25-40 min. In the OR, of course, we take over the task of breathing for the patient, using the mask and circuit on the anesthesia "gas" machine. We support blood pressure and heart rate, and once intubated, we "turn on" the anesthetic agents ("gas" + oxygen, and sometimes nitrous oxide).

In a judicial execution, no one takes over the task of breathing for the inmate, once he/ she loses consciousness. Cardiac arrest follows respiratory arrest. Each state uses different meds, or a combination. The end result is the same. The process is not painful as long as the doses are administered properly, and in huge enough amounts to effect unconsciousness within seconds. Execution doses of anesthetic meds are typically 10 to 20 times what we would use for a "normal" anesthetic. (And they have back up syringes, usually, for a second dose if needed.) A few states have a protocol for intramuscular shots as a back up plan if the IV fails, etc, but I have a lot of issues about that. (I'll spare you the lecture!)

Now, in compassionate end of life overdose, the meds prescribed are oral meds. Could be pills, or more effectively would be liquids, to speed absorption and onset, and ward off vomiting. State laws, as I understand them, require the terminally ill person to take them unassisted. I don't know for sure exactly which meds would be prescribed, but an enormous dose of highly concentrated opioids like dilaudid is most likely. ** Edited to add-- I'm wrong here! Secobarbital is the most commonly prescribed. See post #19 below for links. (Paralyzing drugs as used in general anesthetics would not "work" if administered orally, and these would not be used.)

If taken on an empty stomach to facilitate rapid absorption and defer vomiting, I think it's reasonable to assume the person would become unconscious within something under 30 min, and possibly much faster, depending on their level of debilitation. There is typically no air hunger with an opioid overdose-- opioid overdose is usually quite comfortable and peaceful. No anxiety. (This is why we worry about pain meds in the hospital so much.)

The person gently loses consciousness, and breathing becomes more shallow, breaths further apart. They will make snoring sounds if their airway is obstructed, which can often be relieved in a thinner person by simply tipping their head back. Once respiratory arrest has occurred (no further attempts to breathe), the heart will begin to go into fatal rhythm patterns. This is not noticed or painful by the dying person. Depending on the level of debilitation of the patient, and the health of their heart, this shouldn't take long-- maybe another 4-10 min. From my knowledge of anesthesia and meds, I'd think the whole process would be maybe 30-45 min at the most, and possibly a lot less.

RIP Brittany. I'm glad she got to leave on her terms, in the arms of her loved ones.

Thank you for this detailed and useful information. Don't patients with a terminal diagnosis have access to opioids as standard? Are barbiturates more humane than opioids for this purpose? The elephant in the room for the assisted suicide debate is the number of people who die through suicide every day, and don't have to go to Oregon or Switzerland to do it, with overdose or poisoning being a very common method- and that's just with drugs you can pick up from your local chemist's not the sort of drugs that someone in the advanced stages of a terminal illness has access to. Barring people who are severely mobility impaired, if someone wants to do it, they can do it and I doubt the relatively sudden death of someone with a terminal diagnosis is going to prompt close investigation, and even if it did it would be impossible to prove that their surviving relatives knew what they were going to do.

This is part of the reason I'm suspicious of the narrative and social imperative behind licit assisted suicide. I'm not convinced that having a normalised structure around assisted suicide is socially safer for disabled and seriously ill people, particularly with the "heroism" narrative around these cases alongside the denigration and stigma around disability and dependency.

Incidentally, K_Z, I'd be interested in your input on the reasons behind the string of botched executions earlier this year.

If taken on an empty stomach to facilitate rapid absorption and defer vomiting, I think it's reasonable to assume the person would become unconscious within something under 30 min, and possibly much faster, depending on their level of debilitation.

And in Switzerland they use oral pentobarbital which is even faster, causing unconsciousness in as little as 2-3 minutes. I watched a documentary on that while ago, personally if nausea and dizziness was not an issue I would think 30 minutes would be preferable as it would be more of a natural "falling asleep" feeling especially if there were loved ones in attendance.

The pentobarbital overdose depresses the central nervous system, causing the person to become drowsy and fall asleep within 5 minutes of drinking it. Anaesthesia progresses to coma as the person's breathing becomes more shallow, followed by respiratory arrest and death, which occurs within 30 minutes of ingesting the pentobarbital.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dignitas_(assisted_dying_organisation)

She was beautiful and eloquent to the end. In her short life, she had lived it to the fullest. How beautiful that she controlled the end. How much more comforting for her family rather than to see her in pain, withering away. I applaud her.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back