UK Rum tale: wine-drunk pensioner waylaid by conkers

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Pensioner persuaded to stay at pub for conker competition drank more than he should
have before getting behind the wheel and hitting stone pillar in South Petherton
(Western Gazette)

WAYLAID at the pub to take part in a conker competition, a South Petherton pensioner drank more than he should before getting into the car and driving home.

On route Thomas Monaghan lost control of his vehicle and hit a stone pillar at the entrance of a house but then continued driving home not realising the collision had occurred.
---
Neil Priest, defending, said that on the day in question Monagahan went to a local pub and it had been an “accumulation of errors” that led to his downfall.

“He normally just has a shandy followed by a tomato juice but on that day he had a pint of bitter followed by a shandy,” he said.

“He then had a glass of red wine and was then persuaded to stay at the pub because there was a conker competition taking place.

“Not able to walk back because his wife suffers from dementia, he made the foolish decision to drive which was entirely out of character for him.”
---
The magistrates banned Monaghan from driving for 17 months and fined him £400 with £85 costs and a £40 victim surcharge.
the rest at link

I always expand my vocabulary with your posts, wf! And now I know the legally drunk driving measurement across the pond. Learn something new everyday!

Then I looked up shandy. When the snow finally melts away, and summer is in play, I'm making a big pitcher of it! Thanks again, wf!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back