GUILTY Australia - Kylie Maybury, 6, abducted & murdered, Preston, Vic, 6 Nov 1984

marlywings

Former Member
Reaction score
Six-year-old Kylie Maybury’s 1984 Melbourne Cup Day kidnap, and rape and murder, faces fresh investigation by Victoria Police

November 05, 2014

IT is now 30 years since a perverted paedophile abducted, raped and murdered six-year-old Kylie Maybury.

The low-life sicko who did it has so far not been caught.

You would have to think that after three decades it is more likely than not the murder will remain unsolved.

But Inspector Glenn Woolfe, the detective who prepared the inquest brief and lived and breathed the case for years, hasn’t given up hope of the killer making a deathbed confession or that somebody who knows something about it will decide to finally do the right thing and report it.

“We believe there is someone out there who knows who did it and for some reasons is not telling us,” Insp Woolfe told the Herald Sun yesterday.

“I appeal to them to come forward to help us solve this crime.

“I was in the homicide squad for eight years and this is the one murder that sticks in my mind as the one I would dearly love to solve.

“She was abducted and her body was later dropped in the gutter, just like a piece of rubbish.

“My view is that she would have been held prisoner somewhere before her body was dumped.

“Nobody should get away with such a crime.”

24q6edk.jpg

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/la...-victoria-police/story-fni0ffnk-1227113797961

Quite a lengthy report about the case on above link.

WHY have I never heard of this case? It happened right here, in my neck of the woods, even. AND I have done many searches for local unsolveds... There's so many other child cases that are very well-known, why not this one? Anyway, I am very glad indeed that's being re-investigated. Our Melbourne cops have solved so many cold cases this past couple of years, I am hopeful they can close this one too!

Just some facts taken from the report Marly linked above:

Kylie was snatched near her Gregory Grove home in East Preston on Melbourne Cup Day 1984....

(after this, Kylie's mum took the kids to visit friends, then home at 4.30, then immediately to a neighbour's flat. Mum was on the phone to her mother, when the neighbour at some time after 4.45 pm asked 6yo Kylie to go to the shop 150 meters from the flat for sugar. Kylie apparently made it to the shop between 5pm and 5.30, but did not return.

Kylie was seen near a petrol station nearby, carrying the sugar and looking as if she was lost. She was last seen heading in the direction of the flats.

Near midnight, a passing motorist discovered her body in Donald St, not far from her home (map link: http://goo.gl/maps/enOlt )

...Kylie appeared to be sleeping. She was lying on her left side, seemingly uninjured. Her left arm was tucked under her body and her right arm had flopped, like that of a rag doll, over the gutter and was resting on the footpath. Her face and the front of her body were up against the upright section of the gutter.

She was wearing light khaki trousers, a red skivvy and a white singlet. The skivvy and singlet were pulled up, exposing part of her lower torso

...an autopsy performed later that day revealed Kylie was suffocated while being raped. She had suffered horrific internal injuries.

The autopsy showed her injuries were caused by somebody probably three times her size..

..she had recently taken the strong sedative diazepam — indicating Kylie’s kidnapper drugged her before raping and killing her.

---

The uncle and g'father were real pieces of work, but as there's semen samples (omg, how good were those cops to store them carefully, IN CASE one day technology could use it??? Bless 'em!!) I would suppose it'd be obvious if there were familial markers there.

The sooner we have a sex offender registry, and a good database of sex offender DNA, the better. Whoever did this was probably local, probably an experienced, predatory molester and probably molested a pile of other kids in his time. I am surprised no dna matches have been found, linking this to other crimes.

Thanks Marly for posting this.

Just some further thoughts: Why drug the child, only to then kill her? If he was worried about her making a fuss in a car, the drugs would take time to work. I don't think so. I think its more likely he was worried about her screams being heard during the rape by a neighbour or somebody close to where he kept Kylie. That makes me think "local" too, as does the fact she was found so close to home, and that Donald St was searched prior to her body being found there.

She wasn't covered, which a lot of child killers familiar with thier victims will do, and she was left in the gutter. Posed there, perhaps. Like she was sleeping, in the gutter. It takes a special kind of pervert to want a little girl he's just raped to be found in a gutter. Many pedos convince themselves they're 'caring' for their victims, no matter how heinous their crimes. Not this one. I cannot see the drugging, therefore, as an act of mercy. I think it was about keeping her quiet and either unconscious or too drugged to scream. He must not have needed much interaction with his victims. This killer had NO regard for his victim at all, she was just a means to an end for his sick fantasy. NO WAY did this guy not commit other crimes. No way, no how.

There's a reserve, right near where Kylie's body was found: http://goo.gl/maps/8Nytw

This is the location where she was actually found, looking up Donald St from the corner turned by the man who found her (the reserve is just a short way up the street): http://goo.gl/maps/bxzrU

The gutter thing takes on more significance, looking at that. Why not leave her on the reserve? Why *there* and not somewhere else? He wanted her to be found exactly where he put her.

An access alley in the immediate area of where Kylie was found: http://goo.gl/maps/l4rWO

An overhead view of where Kylie was found, "between Tyler St and Rene St". You can see the alley doesn't go all the way through to the next street, but I think it used to. I wonder how far it went back in 1984. http://goo.gl/maps/1JNsE

I think is probably the petrol station/shops Kylie was seen at, on busy Plenty Road: http://goo.gl/maps/EXAKp

.. cripes on a stick. Even in 1984, when Aussie kids wandered around like feral sheep, mostly, it's hard to imagine sending a little 6yo out onher own in that area, industrial stuff and a busy road.. Anyway, no wonder she looked a bit lost.

For her killer, she was an opportunity. But one I think he was well prepared for. At that time, many of the businesses would be closing, or closed for Cup Day. I hope the employees/owners were interviewed - and cleared. I'm surprised nobody saw anything, didn't see a man or a car approach her. It's a busy road... but being Cup Day. things might have been a lot more more quiet than usual.

I was thinking Cup Day - he could have come from anywhere... Kept sedatives or laced lemonade in his car... But then, where'd he take her from 5.30-6pm until he abandoned her body on Donald St some time before midnight? Could he have a van, parked it in the reserve? Maybe...

I tend to think he's local though. There might be survivors of his crimes out there.. Kids who went missing for a few hours, and seemed confused about where they'd been.

Keith Moor, the reporter who wrote the 30th anniversary article for the Herald Sun, was the reporter on the original murder for its' predecessor newspaper The Herald back in 1984. I spoke to him not that long ago by email. He remains haunted by Kylie's murder. He said with thirty years having passed, the window for catching her killer is closing.

Thanks for contacting him, Tash. I am not surprised it haunted him. I was imagining the poor guy who found her.. something like that would just stay stuck in your head, I reckon.

Our cold case guys have solved so many very old cases lately, though. I think there's still hope, if the killer's still alive.

I am pretty convinced it was somebody local, or staying locally. This is one scene I keep seeing, based on what we know: He saw/heard the police sweep by and panicked, doubled back when they were gone and left her in area that'd already been searched. He most likely had a car. It must've come around the same corner of Donald St as the man who found her, it's on that side of the road. He's stopped close to the kerb, pulled her over to the driver's side, stuffed her down into the gutter, and driven off. It may be why she was pressed against the guttering like that - he didn't have much room between the car and the gutter. The way her clothes were disarrayed might have come from him grasping them to place her, from the driver's seat.

I'd love to know what houses/buildings were there in 1984. I'd be surprised if he stopped outside of somebody's house.

So his placement of her there *might* have been more out of panic than anything else.

I agree that there is no way this killer hadn't killed before or in the future. No way! I hope it is not too late for justice and pray that justice will yet come, I took am thinking it was a local.

How could the killer snatch Kylie without anyone seeing anything? Yes it was Melbourne Cup Day, but the horse race was over, it was a busy road, there would have been *some* people about. Kylie had been warned against strangers, she would have put up a fight and made a commotion, surely?

Also about the drugging of little Kylie, I personally take diazepam for anxiety, it is a very fast acting drug, to a child it would probably put them to sleep I don't think it was an act of mercy at all but just to keep the child quiet, again a local. I had just been thinking to myself had the drug been one used more scarcely they may have been able to rule out some people and LE ask who uses this drug etc.. , for instance where did they get the diazpam etc..Just thinking out loud. But I do believe this drug was prescribed a lot 30 years ago much less so than even today due to the addictive nature of the drug.

I plan on spending some time this week doing an exhaustive search for similar crimes in the area, five years either side of Kylie's death. Also, I found a bank of 'attempted abduction' reports, so that might yield something useful. Thing is with pedos who kill, they don't always mean to, or do sometimes in a panic. Maybe he tried to abduct other kids, or succeeded but didn't kill them.

Sometimes pedos start killing kids after they've been to jail for molesting. I reckon he'd be on the record, somewhere.

ETA: *Good point* about the drugs and availability. Maybe he'd been seeing a psych, or had been in a facility at some point.

The killer seems to have known that the drug would have stronger effects on a child. So he'd either drugged a child before or at least knew more about drugging people than your average citizen. He might have been cruising the area looking for a child to snatch.

Good luck ausgirl, hope always exists, lets bring this ******* to justice.

The killer seems to have known that the drug would have stronger effects on a child. So he'd either drugged a child before or at least knew more about drugging people than your average citizen. He might have been cruising the area looking for a child to snatch.

I was thinking he may have been on the drug himself. And of course knew it was a strong benzodiazepine which would have strong and had long lasting effects. There's no way you can go from drugging and killing child in one day and nothing before or after. This is a predator who has experience in this . Just my opinion.

ETA: I think this girl was known to her abductor which is partly why this may be unsolved and no one heard screams.

But then - she was only six years old, and that lady saw her looking a bit lost... Maybe she wasn't as savvy as her mother thought? And could have believed the old line "Hop in, your mum sent me to pick you up" (I actually heard that one myself, as a kid, from a pedo trawling for kids near my school...). Little kids like that don't always question an adult claiming to know their parents.

I keep seeing this tiny girl, clutching a sugar bag...

Wonder where the bag ended up. Did she drop it anywhere? Or was she holding it when she got in the car?

One possibility - Kylie felt lost and was wandering around trying to get her bearings - she suddenly sees a person she knows and approaches him. He offers to take her back to his house - saying that he'll call her mother to collect her?

One possibility - Kylie felt lost and was wandering around trying to get her bearings - she suddenly sees a person she knows and approaches him. He offers to take her back to his house - saying that he'll call her mother to collect her?

^ Another possibility for sure! To a small kid, the guy down the street she sees pretty often, maybe he waves to her mum, etc, is someone she "knows".

It's not very logical of me, and on this site I do try to stick to logic as much as possible. But this picture of little Kyile and her sugar bag has been popping into my head every now and then since Marly posted this case. Call it intuition, but I reckon this one is solveable. I really do. Our cops are awesome, and they've had such a good run lately.. Fingers crossed, eh.

They have the killer's DNA that he left all over little Kylie... I presume they've checked it against their database? There is NO WAY that this sicko would have stopped unless he was imprisoned or died... and if he was in prison they'd have his DNA and could match it?

That's also a good point.. I dare say DNA, if it's still viable, would have been tested against the samples they currently have. But I believe dna testing wasn't even an issue here for likely a decade after it took off in American LE.. so any priors are probably not very useful that way. He could be sitting in prison right now, and they haven't checked yet. Maybe he died or moved to another state (some areas aren't great at working with other cops..) or just got careful after Kylie.. It's worth checking, I think, on whether the DNA has been thoroughly run through whatever databases exist. These are my local cops. Maybe I'll ask them.

You're right that the image of the tiny girl, clutching a bag of sugar, is haunting.

It's also possible that he got scared after raping and killing Kylie - that's also why police think Mr. Cruel hasn't struck since he killed Karmein Chan.

I hate that Kylie has been forgotten by most people. Even at the time of her murder she was overshadowed in the news by Ronald *advertiser censored* Reagan and his election win.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back