Thread: VA - Murder of U.S. Army Spc. Harry L. Johnson, Colonial Heights, 1997

VA - Murder of U.S. Army Spc. Harry L. Johnson, Colonial Heights, 1997

However, one homicide, in particular, has puzzled police for the last eight years.
    On the evening of Nov. 23, 1997, U.S. Army Spc. Harry L. Johnson was sitting down to dinner in the Colonial Court townhome he shared with his girlfriend. There was a knock at the door, and when Johnson opened it, an unknown gunman shot him dead.
    Neighbors and Johnson's girlfriend told police they heard three or four gunshots and saw a mysterious man running from the area. He was dressed all in brown.
    "That's basically what we have," said Lt. Jeff Faries of the Colonial Heights police. " We did forensics, we recovered shell casings, we interviewed parties the victim worked with and acquaintances."
    "Everything we have obtained hasn't added up," Faries said. "We still don't have a main suspect."
    "The victim is not from around here," Faries explained. "He's in the military, he's been to a lot of places. It just makes it that much tougher to discover things about him."
    Investigators contacted friends, family and even ex-girlfriends of Johnson but were unable to pinpoint a potential murderer.
    Witnesses in this case described the possible suspect as a husky African-American man, about 20 to 30 years old. He was about 6 feet tall and weighed between 240 and 260 pounds.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?n...d=462946&rfi=6
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mysteriew For This Useful Post:

Kat

Bumping. This case is now over 15 years old. Has anyone seen any updates?

Bumping case up.

I ran across this post for the first time today. The man that you speak of is my father. I was four when he was murdered. Where did you get this information? I've started looking into his case.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kjohnson1 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by kjohnson1 View Post
    I ran across this post for the first time today. The man that you speak of is my father. I was four when he was murdered. Where did you get this information? I've started looking into his case.
    Hi KJohnson, welcome here. Sorry to hear about your father.
    Unfortunately, the link from zwire.com from 2005 in the first posting no longer works.

If you would like to add youself as an expert in a certain field or an insider to a case, please contact Admin.
    My very first impression, when I read the little information that is available here, was that this could have been a case of mistaken identity.

Quote Originally Posted by kjohnson1 View Post
    Things you can do and may or may not want to do.....

You could contact the police dept for that area and see if they have a cold case unit. If not ask if there is any detective you could talk to about your father's case.

As a family member you may be able to get a copy of the autopsy report.

Do you know the name of the woman who was there? Maybe she would talk to you.

Try checking with newspapers local to this area. They usually keep copies of their articles.
    Last edited by mysteriew; 05-22-2014 at 01:19 AM.
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mysteriew For This Useful Post:

Can anybody find any old articles on this case?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mysteriew For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew View Post
    Can anybody find any old articles on this case?
    I gave it a quick try, but Harry L. Johnson is an all too common name :-(
    Found a gravestone for a different Harry L Johnson who died around the same time in active service.

Also, I looked for the text of your first posting, assuming it comes from the link that no longer works, but that brought up nothing but your posting WS.
    I know that it is policy at WS not to copy too much for copyright reasons, but ever so often, you find that older links no longer work. IMHO time is on the side of those who keep their own archive!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ZaZara For This Useful Post:

I used to love Google because they kept links to old news stories in the news section. They did away with that and now they are no better than the other search sites.

Does anyone have a link to the paid news search sites that they would be willing to give her/him so maybe they can find the fathers old news articles?