Ft. Lauderdale - 90-year-old man faces jail time, $500 fine for feeding the homeless

You just knew this story was going to be from Florida.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/04/justice/florida-feeding-homeless-charges/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

Because how dare someone have a little humanity and compassion for their fellow human beings.

I do. And I also asked a few questions of Fort Lauderdale LE on twitter and got some answers but, I think, got a little told off in the process? I feel very sorry for the homeless and law enforcement, who have been left in a very difficult position.

Hope you understand, but I'm not quite as sorry for Arnold Abbott as I was originally, because he's definitely not your run-of-the-mill, vulnerable 90-year-old. He's not only trying to feed the homeless, but is making a political point here. He has been issued a citation and will (I think) most likely be issued with a fine for feeding the homeless in the wrong location. Which I think he will refuse to pay, going on past history. Authorities will then be faced with either throwing a 90-year-old in jail.....or re-thinking clumsy legislation before it gets that far, to avoid that issue altogether.

I am on his side and believe people should be allowed to feed their fellow man, wherever. But this is a politically savy senior who knows exactly what he's doing, so I'd hate to see him underestimated.....Mind you, if he does ever get thrown in jail for this, you'll hear my yells of protest from a continent away, that's a promise.

Yeah you right chile!! Where are we? When someone warns to feed the homeless? OK it may not be totally transparent, but hell...they're homeless.

I live here. It's the politics of the city and Broward County.

It's a shame that gets in the way. Do you think he's doing the right thing or the forces at play here have a legitimate point? Or just squabbling.

I think he's doing a good thing. The city doesn't want homeless people here, feeding them attracts more of them so they put the restriction that he must provide a restroom. I don't believe the city is vindictive to him personally.

Oh dear, Russia Today has taken up his cause. Arnold's told them he intends to carry on feeding the homeless and doesn't have 'the slightest fear' about being arrested.

This is exactly what I was afraid he would do. I really hope the judicial system doesn't accept the bait and throw him in jail. He's tough and sharp but he is also 90 years old. It will be nothing but a tragedy for all concerned, should Arnold die in jail. There has got to be a solution to this somewhere. In London, England, I know helpers carry out night feedings, and drive around to find the homeless, rather than setting up shop in a certain point. Maybe that's a solution?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...the-homeless-despite-facing-jail-9844237.html

Strangely, similar legislation was enacted in England, but it forbade feeding pigeons, not people. If I recollect correctly, an older lady took up that battle there, and gave authorities a whole heap of trouble.

Just my opinion, but Arnold should not allow himself to be used by Russia Today for political point-scoring. Russia has an abominable homeless problem itself - the frozen bodies levered from the streets each winter testify to that. Why isn't Russia Today covering that, 'local' problem?

Thanks for everyone's input. In a city which I won't mention (I keep forgetting this is an 'open' forum) there's a place that throws away enough food to feed at least 100 people every evening. They say its 'insurance' if someone gets sick, they're liable. ¿¿¿ and the people who eat there ?????

Thanks for everyone's input. In a city which I won't mention (I keep forgetting this is an 'open' forum) there's a place that throws away enough food to feed at least 100 people every evening. They say its 'insurance' if someone gets sick, they're liable. ¿¿¿ and the people who eat there ?????

Most would be grateful for the thrown out food but you know someone would fein illness in order to cash in on a law suit.

Yeah, you old geezer! You inspire me. I hope I have as much pluck if I should live to be 90. Keep feeding the hungry wherever there are hungry people that need to be fed!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back