Richard Allen Welch, Sr.- A Person of Interest

Reaction score
This thread is to discuss things related to Richard Allen Welch, Sr. who is presently A Person of Interest.

He is also the uncle of Lloyd Lee Welch, Jr.(Another Person of Interest at this time).

Many thanks to Fran51 for your awakening information you shared!!
We look forward to hearing more from you and welcome you to WS.

Time will tell about all of this new info released by the Washington Post article.

I do NOT like the looks however of the picture of the house RAW, Sr.'lived in at the time the girls went missing.

The garage in the background is a scary thing to see.

COULD the girls have been taken to that house??

I just posted this on Sheila and Katherine's thread:

<snip>
The paper said Richard Welch has declined comment but that his daughter has defended him. She has called the allegations against her father a lie.

The paper also tracked down the juvenile Lloyd Welch said was in the car during the kidnapping. Thomas Welch is a cousin of Lloyd Welch and was 10 ½ in 1975.

&#8220;I haven&#8217;t done anything,&#8221; he said. He also said he doesn&#8217;t think Richard Welch, his uncle, was involved in the girls disappearance but isn&#8217;t so certain about his cousin.

&#8220;If Lloyd did this, I hope he fries for it,&#8221; Thomas Welch told the Post.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/02/2...t-maryland-mall-with-sisters-on-day-vanished/

I think it's interesting that family members are defending Richard but not Lloyd. If Thomas really was in the car when Lloyd was at the mall the day of the abduction, he would know whether Richard was also in the car and if it was Richard's car they were in. Curious as to how much Thomas remembers so many years later.

I just posted this on Sheila and Katherine's thread:

<snip>
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/02/2...t-maryland-mall-with-sisters-on-day-vanished/

I think it's interesting that family members are defending Richard but not Lloyd. If Thomas really was in the car when Lloyd was at the mall the day of the abduction, he would know whether Richard was also in the car and if it was Richard's car they were in. Curious as to how much Thomas remembers so many years later.

We may find out; he could very well be cooperating. We have to remember, though, that he was only ten when this happened. He couldn't possibly have done it, and he may have been dropped off or taken home, and not told who the girls were, or what had become of them.

Detectives named Welch a person of interest last year, which resulted in several trips by Richard and his wife, Patricia Welch, to tracts of land near Virginia&#8217;s Taylors Mountain, Virginia, according to the Washington Post.

Oh my....perhaps that is what Patricia Welch was lying about.....

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...5-cold-case-missing-sisters-article-1.2124268

No surprise I wonder what they were upto hopefully they were and still are being closely monitored 24/7.

Detectives named Welch a person of interest last year, which resulted in several trips by Richard and his wife, Patricia Welch, to tracts of land near Virginia&#8217;s Taylors Mountain, Virginia, according to the Washington Post.

Oh my....perhaps that is what Patricia Welch was lying about.....

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...5-cold-case-missing-sisters-article-1.2124268

Here are the relevant paragraphs from the Washington Post:

"Relatives of the couple in Bedford County later told detectives that after the news conference, Richard and his wife, Patricia, made several unannounced trips to the area. &#8220;Richard and Patricia Welch have also been extremely interested in whether these relatives were contacted by investigators,&#8221; detectives wrote, &#8220;and what information they provided to the investigators.&#8221;

On Dec. 5, Patricia Welch testified before the Bedford grand jury. What she said remains confidential. But afterward, she was charged with perjury.

Her attorney, Emmette Pilgreen of Roanoke, declined to comment on that charge. But he said his client wants to help: &#8220;She absolutely feels bad about the situation with these kids. It&#8217;s a horrible situation.&#8221; "
=======================================================
I think it's poorly worded, and I may have at first read it wrong because decent circumstantial evidence, which I assume the police made every effort to find, would be:
- In 1975, days or weeks after the disappearance, a person of interest (and/or wife) showed up unexpectedly to visit Taylor's Mountain, presumably to bury bodies, which the police may or may not have found.

But the newspaper article, I think, means that in 2014, after the news conference and grand jury, Richard and his wife dropped by unexpectedly to visit relatives.

Showing up at friends or relatives unexpectedly might be rude, but not illegal.
Asking about confidential grand jury investigations or police investigations could be illegal. Trying to intimidate witnesses by saying thing like, "Don't share dirty laundry," would be illegal. If this is all they have on Patricia Welch, it's nothing directly to do with the disappearance of the Lyon sisters. It's an angry old lady not making the best judgement.

With spousal privilege, I don't see how Patrica could be made to testify against her husband Richard? She could be made to testify against her nephew, Lloyd.

If one of Lloyd's stories, the most unbelievable one in my opinion, Lloyd walked in on Richard abusing one of the Lyon sisters at the house he shared with Patricia. If the police think this story is true, Patricia could not be compelled to testify against herself or her husband, so what is she doing at the grand jury?

I can only see a legal reason for making Patricia testify is if she and her husband are given immunity or not considered suspects? The remaining suspect would be Lloyd.

I

Here are the relevant paragraphs from the Washington Post:

"Relatives of the couple in Bedford County later told detectives that after the news conference, Richard and his wife, Patricia, made several unannounced trips to the area. “Richard and Patricia Welch have also been extremely interested in whether these relatives were contacted by investigators,” detectives wrote, “and what information they provided to the investigators.”

On Dec. 5, Patricia Welch testified before the Bedford grand jury. What she said remains confidential. But afterward, she was charged with perjury.

Her attorney, Emmette Pilgreen of Roanoke, declined to comment on that charge. But he said his client wants to help: “She absolutely feels bad about the situation with these kids. It’s a horrible situation.” "
=======================================================
I think it's poorly worded, and I may have at first read it wrong because decent circumstantial evidence, which I assume the police made every effort to find, would be:
- In 1975, days or weeks after the disappearance, a person of interest (and/or wife) showed up unexpectedly to visit Taylor's Mountain, presumably to bury bodies, which the police may or may not have found.

But the newspaper article, I think, means that in 2014, after the news conference and grand jury, Richard and his wife dropped by unexpectedly to visit relatives.

Showing up at friends or relatives unexpectedly might be rude, but not illegal.
Asking about confidential grand jury investigations or police investigations could be illegal. Trying to intimidate witnesses by saying thing like, "Don't share dirty laundry," would be illegal. If this is all they have on Patricia Welch, it's nothing directly to do with the disappearance of the Lyon sisters. It's an angry old lady not making the best judgement.

With spousal privilege, I don't see how Patrica could be made to testify against her husband Richard? She could be made to testify against her nephew, Lloyd.

If one of Lloyd's stories, the most unbelievable one in my opinion, Lloyd walked in on Richard abusing one of the Lyon sisters at the house he shared with Patricia. If the police think this story is true, Patricia could not be compelled to testify against herself or her husband, so what is she doing at the grand jury?

I can only see a legal reason for making Patricia testify is if she and her husband are given immunity or not considered suspects? The remaining suspect would be Lloyd.

I

My point is that they made several trips to VA after LW is named a POI and they are asking family members what they've told LE. We don't know what Patricia lied about but everything that I just mentioned, is not the way innocent people act.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So far, it appears that LE has conducted something of a witch hunt against Richard Welch. They have no evidence whatsoever linking him to the Lyons sisters' disappearance, and, in fact, they claimed last month (Jan. 2015) that physical evidence would be found at Taylor's Mountain (where Richard Welch owns some property). Guess what? Nothing was found.

So where does that leave us? An embarrassed LE releasing press conference statements impugning RW via laughable extrapolations: Richard and his wife were "very interested" in what relatives might have told police (who wouldn't be?); Thomas, the (then 10-year-old) nephew named in Lloyd's fantasy alibi as being in the car at the time of Richard's alleged involvement (Thomas said this never happened), "very unusually" called his uncle after the press conference. Apparently, Thomas doesn't normally call his uncle to wish his uncle "Happy Birthday", so obviously, something must very definitely be up if he called his uncle following a televised LE press conference which merely named his uncle as someone who may have kidnapped, raped, and murdered two young girls and which named himself as a material witness, right? If he doesn't call during the holidays, why should he call now? Sounds suspicious (sarcasm).

And then there's Bedford prosecutor, Randy Krantz, a living caricature of the backwoods, unethical, blowhard DA, the kind you saw portrayed in movies but didn't think existed in real life. "We know who was responsible. Each and every one of them.", this moron bellowed to reporters back in September.

<modsnip>

One thing you can take to the bank, and this will be true 2000 years from as it is true now and has always been true: whenever LE realizes they have screwed up and pointed the finger at the wrong person or people, they will NEVER owe up their mistake. I think that's what we're seeing here in regards to Richard Welch.

Well, unlike Krantz, I'm not a DA who is, without a shred of evidence, abusing his power to legally destroy people.

Lets look at this from a police officer's point of view or from a prosecutor's point of view. There had recently been a tip concerning two murders, specifically where to find remains. Investigators look around at the site and find and informal grave yard containing an unknown number of graves, but only one marked grave. Most of the graves are marked with stones. Next, in order to clarify, they ask current and former property owners to shed some light on the exact number of graves, and to identify the people who were interred. They either get no information in return, or conflicting information. This kind of stuff never makes a homicide detective feel that he is hearing the truth. But then, knowing that it is, indeed, possible for a site to have been in use as a graveyard before the current property owner was even born, investigators take their time and ask neighbors about it, as well. Still, no real answers. After a search involving no shovels or radar equipment, they actually find bones and personal effects, belonging to one of the Lyon girls. OF COURSE THEY WANTED TO KNOW MORE! Wouldn't you?

I find it strange that despite the lies they heard from LLW, they still came up with an area to search that yielded forensic results. If RAW did not want to be destroyed, he should have discussed the unmarked graves on his property more intelligently with police. It's never a good idea to misrepresent or guess about the truth during grand jury proceedings when you own property with unidentified graves.

Where do you get the idea that nothing was found? They found quite a bit.

Lets look at this from a police officer's point of view or from a prosecutor's point of view. There had recently been a tip concerning two murders, specifically where to find remains. Investigators look around at the site and find and informal grave yard containing an unknown number of graves, but only one marked grave. Most of the graves are marked with stones. Next, in order to clarify, they ask current and former property owners to shed some light on the exact number of graves, and to identify the people who were interred. They either get no information in return, or conflicting information. This kind of stuff never makes a homicide detective feel that he is hearing the truth. But then, knowing that it is, indeed, possible for a site to have been in use as a graveyard before the current property owner was even born, investigators take their time and ask neighbors about it, as well. Still, no real answers. After a search involving no shovels or radar equipment, they actually find bones and personal effects, belonging to one of the Lyon girls. OF COURSE THEY WANTED TO KNOW MORE! Wouldn't you?

I find it strange that despite the lies they heard from LLW, they still came up with an area to search that yielded forensic results. If RAW did not want to be destroyed, he should have discussed the unmarked graves on his property more intelligently with police. It's never a good idea to misrepresent or guess about the truth during grand jury proceedings when you own property with unidentified graves.

siriunsun, are you saying that the BONES, yellow bag, etc... have been CONFIRMED to belong to the Lyon sisters?!!

I do not believe the bones have been confirmed. As for the personal effects, more confirmation would probably be good. No one who owned the property over the last forty years could claim the items, or explain them. While I personally believe at least one of those items are connected, you are right....we can't stop there. We've gotta prove it.

Given all that, I don't see how anyone could accuse the DA of going on a witch hunt. If he didn't follow those things up, he'd be soft on crime!

I don't think that I do have information that is beyond what it written......granted, some of it was written forty years ago and I remember it, but it's been published, nonetheless. Other than that, I do have pretty extensive knowledge of the community where the girls lived, but that's because I lived there, too.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back