Multi-Jurisdictional Grand Jury in Bedford County, Virginia

Reaction score
This thread was formed to discuss things related to the Multi-Jurisdictional Grand Jury in Bedford County, Virginia.

This is also reposted from the "News Articles" thread.

Here is a link from 10-29-14 from Angela Hatcher's (news reporter for WSET) Twitter account which takes you to her Facebook account.
It mentions how Randy Krantz indicated the length of the Grand Jury in Bedford County, Virginia.

http://fb.me/2DEMZdhKh

I would guess that LE and investigators are gathering as much info, including info regarding the station wagon before the December 5 meeting.

I wonder if there will be a need for any more meetings with the Grand Jury after that.
I kind of hope not, however, if it means a better case, I guess as many meetings needed, the better.

To date, nothing has been made public regarding any evidence presented to the grand jury. They are supposed to reconvene tomorrow, 5 December 2014. Hopefully somthing solid will be presented and made public regarding all the innuendo, implication, and subsequent speculation about the Welch POI's.

That would be helpful if they were to provide some additional information to the public. It might even allow additional people to come forward with more details or assistance. We're sort of spinning our wheels here on websleuths, since we don't have access to more information or the resources that LE has. I saw a FB comment on the Taylor's Mountain Descendants site that summed up the flawed thinking of some folks there. They said about Maryland LE, "if they know who all parties are that was involved like they claim, go get 'em cause you know they hold the answers you need. if not, then get the hell off the family mountain and stop making people who do not know the person or anything about what is being claimed that was done feel like ***** by acting as if they do know."
Gee, sorry for the inconvenience...
I would ask people that feel that way to attempt to even fathom the enormous pain and suffering that the Lyon family has endured for almost 40 years. It is incomprehensible and overwhelming to even begin to think about it. At this point, I hope LE will do whatever it takes to bring some form of resolution to the case.

That would be helpful if they were to provide some additional information to the public. It might even allow additional people to come forward with more details or assistance. We're sort of spinning our wheels here on websleuths, since we don't have access to more information or the resources that LE has. I saw a FB comment on the Taylor's Mountain Descendants site that summed up the flawed thinking of some folks there. They said about Maryland LE, "if they know who all parties are that was involved like they claim, go get 'em cause you know they hold the answers you need. if not, then get the hell off the family mountain and stop making people who do not know the person or anything about what is being claimed that was done feel like ***** by acting as if they do know."
Gee, sorry for the inconvenience...
I would ask people that feel that way to attempt to even fathom the enormous pain and suffering that the Lyon family has endured for almost 40 years. It is incomprehensible and overwhelming to even begin to think about it. At this point, I hope LE will do whatever it takes to bring some form of resolution to the case.

I agree RichardLewis welcome to websleuths. I hope something comes from the grand jury as well Richard above it must be torture for the Lyon family waiting for any developments.

I just got google alerts for two new articles about the grand jury meeting for a third time today. I will post any other articles I get alerts for or see online. Please feel free to post any updates or articles you find. Thank you to all members who are posting about the case.

"A special grand jury in Bedford County assigned to investigate the Lyon sisters case will meet for the third time Friday.

Jurors will be presented with evidence from several unrelated cases during Friday's session, but will begin inquiries related to the Lyon sisters around 12:30 p.m. Investigators with the Bedford County Sheriff's Office confirm that Friday's session will be a long one that could last well into the evening."

http://www.wdbj7.com/news/local/lync...-case/30076586

"Bedford, VA – A multi-jurisdictional grand jury is meeting for the third time Friday in Bedford regarding a nearly 40-year-old old case of two missing girls from Maryland.

Police believe the Lyon sisters could be buried on Taylor's Mountain in the Thaxton area of Bedford County. They launched a massive search of the mountain in September. Cadaver dogs, a forensic anthropologist, and helicopters have been used at various times."

http://www.wset.com/story/27556978/l...day-in-bedford

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...b1458e-7e89-11e4-8882-03cf08410beb_story.html

A 65-year-old Maryland woman has been charged with lying to a grand jury that is investigating the long-ago disappearance of Sheila and Katherine Lyon — part of investigators’ increased efforts to learn what happened 39 years ago after the sisters walked to a Wheaton shopping mall.

The woman charged late Friday, Patricia Jean Welch, is the wife of Richard Allen Welch, 69, whom police earlier labeled a “Person of Interest” in the case...

Authorities declined to say what they allege Welch lied about, saying it was related to confidential grand jury proceedings. The charge is considered a “Class 5” felony, and punishable by up to 10 years in prison.

There was a news announcement late this afternoon by investigators that they will hold a press conference on the Lyon case after this weekend. Hopefully we will learn something concerning the Grand Jury and evidence they have seen regarding the case.

There was a news announcement late this afternoon by investigators that they will hold a press conference on the Lyon case after this weekend. Hopefully we will learn something concerning the Grand Jury and evidence they have seen regarding the case.

Thanks Richard. It's 10am Monday EST will we be able to watch it live online anywhere?

The Monday morning press conference will be held at Thaxton Baptist Church on Penicks Mill Road in Thaxton, VA. There are many typical places to hold a LE press conference, like the court house, Bedford police headquarters, etc... Why is the press conference being held at Thaxton Baptist Church? What is the significance of this? I suspect LE has a reason for this that we are unaware of at the moment.

The Monday morning press conference will be held at Thaxton Baptist Church on Penicks Mill Road in Thaxton, VA. There are many typical places to hold a LE press conference, like the court house, Bedford police headquarters, etc... Why is the press conference being held at Thaxton Baptist Church? What is the significance of this? I suspect LE has a reason for this that we are unaware of at the moment.
I wondered the same thing? :/

Bedford's Commonwealth's Attorney Randy Krantz goes to Thaxton Baptist Church.

beachlvr0810 have you ever seen the police have a news briefing there before??

No I haven't, and as far as I can remember, I don't think there's ever been a new conference held at any church here. Every one I've talked to in the past few days agrees that it's very odd to have a news conference there.

Thanks Richard. It's 10am Monday EST will we be able to watch it live online anywhere?

It will be streaming live from the church on WDBJ7.com

The setting of the press conference at the church vs. police headquarters really has me thinking. This is just speculation; if they were making arrests in the case, I just don't think they would be announcing it in a church. LE recently stated that a person who could resolve the case lives a "stones throw" from Taylor's Mountain. I'm wondering, could it be that this same person attends Thaxton Baptist church? Consider the atmosphere in the church is much different from that of police headquarters; a spiritual setting vs. an intimidating LE setting. Perhaps this is an attempt to appeal to somebody's sense of compassion and humanity, as well as their moral conscience and what awaits them after their life on this earth.

In announcing the press conference LE said they are shifting to the next "phase" of the investigation; what exactly does that mean? It implies the nature of the investigation is changing, but is it actually going to change to a prosecution phase? It appeared that the investigation started out with two main objectives; first to find the Lyon sisters, and second to identify and prosecute those guilty. However, I recall at some point in the last few months LE said something to the effect that they could perhaps almost be satisfied to bring some resolution to the Lyon family, even if it meant just bringing the girls back home without a successful prosecution of the guilty. Is that the point LE is at now? I suspect that LE has knowledge of who abducted, and sadly, probably killed the girls. But almost 40 years later, unfortunately, they may not have enough physical evidence and direct witnesses to successfully prosecute those responsible. With the girl's parents in their 70's, LLW2 already in prison and RAW about at age 70, would LE now settle for just one of the main goals? I would guess the answer might be yes.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back