1303 users online (260 members and 1043 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    We in montgomery county pay ridiculous taxes. I'm sure it's not a problem financially on our end. Just my opinion.

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.

Mark Twain

UPDATE

"The Bedford County Sheriff’s Office says forensic digs on Taylor’s Mountain are complete

According to a news release, the sheriff's office says investigators are “pleased with the progression of the search for the truth concerning the abduction and murder of the Lyon sisters."

http://www.wdbj7.com/news/local/inve...focus/30710862
    The man in my avatar may have killed two innocent teenagers Abigail Williams and Liberty German. If you know who he is Please call the tip line. There is a reward of $250,000 - Tel- 844.459.5786 or email: abbyandlibbytip@cacoshrf.com

The dead cannot cry out for justice. It is a duty of the living to do so for them. Lois McMaster Bujold.

NBC TV4 News tonight stated that Police are wrapping up their week long search on Taylors Mountain. They have termed it a "forensic search".

Photos indicate several tent type coverings over holes and workers using sifter boxes to shake the soil taken from the holes - in the same way that archarologists conduct a dig.

They state that they are pleased with the progression of the search, but have not stated whether or not they have found anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    NBC TV4 News tonight stated that Police are wrapping up their week long search on Taylors Mountain. They have termed it a "forensic search".

Photos indicate several tent type coverings over holes and workers using sifter boxes to shake the soil taken from the holes - in the same way that archarologists conduct a dig.

They state that they are pleased with the progression of the search, but have not stated whether or not they have found anything.
    They say the forensic dig is complete but the work will go another day. What does that mean exactly? Another day to sift through their finds?
    "It's unbelievable that people can disappear off the face of the Earth without a trace when they find dinosaur bones and identify them." ~ John Lyon

Quote Originally Posted by Motherof5 View Post
    They say the forensic dig is complete but the work will go another day. What does that mean exactly? Another day to sift through their finds?
    I thought they might mean that it will take another day to pack up all the equipment that was brought in, set up, and used for the forensic dig and perhaps they have to replace the soil and leave the property in a certain condition. But I am only speculating here. Anyone else have any other ideas?

I believe it will take several weeks to analyze any findings from this forensic dig on the mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by Historydetective63 View Post
    I thought they might mean that it will take another day to pack up all the equipment that was brought in, set up, and used for the forensic dig and perhaps they have to replace the soil and leave the property in a certain condition. But I am only speculating here. Anyone else have any other ideas?

Probably a good summary of the wrap-up work to be done today.

TV coverage showed about six dig sites in a row, each covered with a high legged tent type structure - like those used to cover tables at a yard sale. In front of each site was a tall tripod with a 3foot by 3 foot wooden box to be used to shake and sift each pail of dirt taken from the dig site.

Any artifacts found will be carefully cataloged, packaged, and assigned a separate number associated with the grid square and site where it was located. Analysis will be done later in a laboratory.

Artifacts will indicate when and if a site was dug previously. Soil analysis will also be done which might indicate any previous digging in the area.

Since "in ground radar" was probably used, the dig might also resolve any unknown anomalies seen on that equipment.

TV coverage showed about six dig sites in a row, each covered with a high legged tent type structure - like those used to cover tables at a yard sale. In front of each site was a tall tripod with a 3foot by 3 foot wooden box to be used to shake and sift each pail of dirt taken from the dig site.

Any artifacts found will be carefully cataloged, packaged, and assigned a separate number associated with the grid square and site where it was located. Analysis will be done later in a laboratory.

Artifacts will indicate when and if a site was dug previously. Soil analysis will also be done which might indicate any previous digging in the area.

Since "in ground radar" was probably used, the dig might also resolve any unknown anomalies seen on that equipment.
    I believe that analysis will also be able to determine the length of time any artifacts found may have been in the ground.

I understood that it will take time for an analysis, just wasn't sure what else they'd be doing but that sounds logical to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "It's unbelievable that people can disappear off the face of the Earth without a trace when they find dinosaur bones and identify them." ~ John Lyon

http://www.wboc.com/story/27827660/v...qUtDgHk.mailto

Just noticed this.....now I keep trying to delete because it is a repeat story, and it won't let me. Move on, nothing to see here��
    Last edited by spcagrl; 01-19-2015 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Historydetective63 View Post
    They pulled out all of the equipment on Thursday evening and were coming back in when I stopped by the Thaxton Community Center to drop off some coffee for them. I drove around by the search/digging site on Friday with a friend and we couldn't tell where they had dug at all. We sat there by the side of the road, in the quiet peaceful mountain and discussed theories. No law enforcement was up on the mountain because of the 4 day holiday weekend. It was very sad to sit there and discuss what may have happened to these 2 girls.
    When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.

Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by beachlvr0810 View Post
    They pulled out all of the equipment on Thursday evening and were coming back in when I stopped by the Thaxton Community Center to drop off some coffee for them. I drove around by the search/digging site on Friday with a friend and we couldn't tell where they had dug at all. We sat there by the side of the road, in the quiet peaceful mountain and discussed theories. No law enforcement was up on the mountain because of the 4 day holiday weekend. It was very sad to sit there and discuss what may have happened to these 2 girls.
    beachlvr0810, thank you for sharing that information.
    Your heartfelt words have brought me to tears.

I think only a mother of her children could truly say it best.
    I remember watching an older news video of Mary and John Lyon.

In the video, Mary is crying and saying how "they were cheated!!"
    They NEVER got to see EITHER ONE of THEIR ONLY GIRLS walk
    down the aisle on their wedding day and the grandchildren they
    NEVER HAD!!!

HEARTBREAKING WORDS that mainly a mother can TRULY UNDERSTAND!!

Quote Originally Posted by simplifymylife2014 View Post
    beachlvr0810, thank you for sharing that information.
    Your heartfelt words have brought me to tears.

I think only a mother of her children could truly say it best.
    I remember watching an older news video of Mary and John Lyon.

In the video, Mary is crying and saying how "they were cheated!!"
    They NEVER got to see EITHER ONE of THEIR ONLY GIRLS walk
    down the aisle on their wedding day and the grandchildren they
    NEVER HAD!!!

HEARTBREAKING WORDS that mainly a mother can TRULY UNDERSTAND!!
    And we do understand...my daughter and I have walked in the woods on the mountain on the opposite hollow from where the search site is, and poured out our hearts to each other about how this has affected us. There is a deep sadness over the mountain.

Mark Twain

Forensic Studies

This is in reply to siriunsun's post from the LLW
    thread.

I don't know anything at all about forensic work, how long it takes, etc...

However, from comments made from LE, they seemed to indicate they were happy with how things progressed so far from the dig itself.

From comments I have heard from others, as well as common sense would make sense that the forensic work may take months.

I would guess that remains found may have to be pieced together.

It could even turn out to be remains that may not be the Lyon sisters,
    but perhaps may be connected to another case.

Time will tell.

However, could someone here that knows or knows someone else that knows--
    explain the time difference between doing a DNA test on a living person and
    testing for a match, vs. putting remains together from the dig and then testing
    the DNA for a match??

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast