John Douglas "Discredited"

M

Maxi

At the time of the Atlanta child killings, it was common wisdom among profilers that serial killers usually killed within their own race. That's probably why Douglas and others assumed the killer would be black.

Of course, there are people who are not saying Wayne Williams was not really the killer.

I don't remember too much about the unibomber,except that he was very well educated,PHD I believe,not bad looking,at one point wanted to be a woman but backed away from a sex change,and lived alone in the woods with his bombs. A real woman,a date,a wife,I don't recall one,but maybe someone else knows.

Singular and Douglas? How weird is that?! I thought Singular was a pretty good writer, and he had done some good digging for his angle on the case. Unfortunately, he hadn't finished his research before he published his book. All he really had were leads. His book is worthwhile mainly for the extensive info from Pam Griffin.

Originally posted by Imon128
According to Steve's book, page 148, hardback, on Smit:
"...It had been around only about seventy-two hours, not anywhere near long enough to devour the case material.......He said, 'I don't the it was the Ramseys."
Yeah, Smit is a smart guy. It only took him 72 hours to figure out which position would put him in the limelight--so he got on that road and hasn't left it.

So true. AND, the coup de gras is that he's on Keenan and Kompany's 'fresh eyes' team!!!!! Oh, mah gawd.

IMO, Smit has made a fool of himself by going so public with ludicrous evidence such as the basement window, etc. Anybody can see that forensics would be left ALL over the place, the way that Lou came in that window. Geezo Peezo.

The "FOX" put the BPD on his nose, swimming across the water, but I think the FOX got eaten in this case. Vivé la fables, eh? LOL

Originally posted by Sabrina
A super sleuther, Sagan, from Purgatory found this article:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2001801223_greenriver26m.html

Profiler can't recall why he said letter wasn't from Green River killer

By Duff Wilson
Seattle Times staff reporter

Families to address court at Dec. hearing

FBI criminal profiler John E. Douglas misidentified an anonymous 1984 letter from Green River killer Gary L. Ridgway in the midst of the nation's worst serial-killing spree.

Douglas wrote that the letter was "a feeble and amateurish attempt" by someone who "has no connection with the Green River Homicides."

He was wrong.

Ridgway, as part of his confession to police, admitted earlier this year that he wrote that letter. Police say that had they known that, it could have helped them catch him earlier.

The Ridgway letter and Douglas' analysis were released yesterday by the Green River Task Force under the state's open-records law.

See link for rest of article. I believe we can now say Mr. Douglas is discredited.

Why is everone quick to defend Foster, but you say this one article discreditsa any info that Douglas has given any murder investigations so far? What about the ones he has been correct on?

According to Steve's book, page 148, hardback, on Smit:

"His sole job in Boulder, we were told by the DA's office, would be to implement his particularly successful system of indexing, organizing, and cross-referencing the case file."...

MORE from the same page regarding Smit:

"...He had been around only about seventy-two hours, not anywhere near long enough to devour the case material, but we hoped he might have some initial insights. He did.

Lou shifted the toothpick to a corner of his mouth, and his eyes twinkled with the excitement of a good bird dog on point. He said, 'I don't think it was the Ramseys.'

HE NEVER BUDGED FROM THAT POSITION." (caps mine)

Edited to correct quote.

And the BPD has never shifted on their position, either. Maybe the DA told ST that all he was doing was organizing files because the BPD made a mess of the whole investigation. Of course someone needs to organize the files! I wonder if they even had all the info in one room!

Also, the BPD made the assumption that the parents were guilty as soon as the body was found. Was that enough time to "devour the case material?"

I hardly think the DA would have told ST that Lou Smit was there to clean up his mess, do you?

I don't think anyone really expects Douglas to have a perfect batting average.

Originally posted by Jayelles
Sabrina is right about John Douglas's forum being like a fan club. I ventured over there to read what they were saying about the Ramsey case expecting some intelligent discussion and the first JonBenet thread I found was full of stuff like "JD is such a hottie". I found several posats of the same on the one thread and read no further. I then posted about this at purg and one of the JD members (who is also a member at Yonder Forum - easily recognisable by her adoration for John Douglas) started a thread to have a b*tch about me! Some of the responses seemed genuinely taken aback and I felt quite bad about it so I actually went there and apologised to them. However, the reaction was along the lines of 'Oh we can't accept your apology what you did was unforgivable.... blah blah'. One of the members was actually very threatening (Sabrina will bear me out on this) - said that she was on medication and that she often forgot to take it.

I wonder what JD really thinks about his band of wannabee-profilers?

I can actually picture the above member sitting at her computer and writing her posts in praise of the Almighty JD whilst wearing her Mindhunter baseball cap, her Mindhunter tee-shirt and supping coffee from her Mindhunter coffee mug. It conjures up a wonderful mental image :)

Seriously though, professional admiration is one thing, but some of these folks seem to go way beyond that.

I agree that his website was a let down. I didn't go there expecting a carnival though. Just some info on some cases he has worked.....I don't pay attention to anything he sells, because I a'int buying it anyway, so it doesn't matter.

Besides, I see very few websites (or anything else, for that matter) that don't have something for sale.

Originally posted by Toth
I don't think anyone really expects Douglas to have a perfect batting average.

Boy Howdy!!! His batting average, unless you ask HIM, of course, has really gone down hill, along with his reputation. Don't rule him out, though, as trying to hang onto the R's skirttail to get himself some much wanted attention. This is JMO.

IMO, John Douglas cut his own throat by coming out with a profile without having all the facts. I have no respect for the man anymore as he seems to be all about himself. JMO, of course. :)

So how did Foster not "cut his own throat" by writing PR a letter saying that he believed she was not the writer of the ransom note and he would stake his professional reputation on that fact? He had just as much as Douglas did?

Originally posted by ajt400
So how did Foster not "cut his own throat" by writing PR a letter saying that he believed she was not the writer of the ransom note and he would stake his professional reputation on that fact? He had just as much as Douglas did?

I see no comparison between Foster and Douglas. ******* gave Foster false info to work with (she lied)...well!!! Wait! Did the R's give Douglas false info, too?

But didn't Douglas take the backlash when that was released to the public? No one in Atl wanted to believe this was a black offender. (Some still don't)

I think Douglas may literally not remember why he said the Green River killer letter was a fake. He was very ill at the time he was working on the case. The illness has been described in several different ways, but all affect the brain. (I'm not being sarcastic, I really think he may have lost memory of that time.)

If Douglas was that ill at that time, and knew it, why would he be doing such important work? Of course, if he wasn't seeking active treatment, that'd be another story. However, I think if he was that ill, he'd be under a doctor's care and surely not doing such important work. JMO, though.

Blazeboy, I haven't read Douglas' new book but I have to wonder why he partnered himself up with Singular.

Originally posted by ajt400
So how did Foster not "cut his own throat" by writing PR a letter saying that he believed she was not the writer of the ransom note and he would stake his professional reputation on that fact?
We've been over this MANY times before. Foster wrote that note before he saw ANY of the case evidence. He wrote it with high hopes of interjecting himself in the case.
Later, after seeing ALL the evidence it was obvious to him who wrote the note--and none of his previous wishful thinking could change that.

If Foster had never seen the case evidence he would probably be walking around to this day telling people that Patsy is innocent in his opinion.

If Douglas was that ill at that time, and knew it, why would he be doing such important work? Of course, if he wasn't seeking active treatment, that'd be another story. However, I think if he was that ill, he'd be under a doctor's care and surely not doing such important work. JMO, though.

My recollection is that he didn't realize how sick he was til he collapsed. He was then hospitalized and almost died. I believe he had an infection or inflammation of the brain. He was quite delirious, if not actually unconscious, for days.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SandraGanis
Back