1222 users online (234 members and 988 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Beverly Rose Potts, 10, Missing since August 24, 1951 from Cleveland, Ohio.

Beverly Rose Potts
    Missing since August 24, 1951 from Cleveland, Ohio.
    Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

Date of Birth: April 15, 1941

Age at Time of Disappearance: 10 years old

Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 4'11"; 90 lbs.

Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Blonde hair; blue eyes. She had her hair cut in a short bob with bangs.

Marks, Scars: She has a vaccination scar on her upper left arm, a small scar over her left eyebrow, and a kidney-shaped birthmark about one inch long and three-eighths of an inch wide on her instep. Potts had a distinctive, duck-like gait in 1951, with her toes turned out.

Clothing: Blue jeans with a side zipper and no label; bright red cotton panties; green socks; a white cotton Honeylane undershirt; a red sport shirt; a navy blue poplin jacket with no label and both pockets torn; size five or five and a half brown Karrybrooke Sportshoes loafers and a yellow gold ring.

Dentals: Her upper and lower molars have silver fillings. Gaps between her teeth.

Photos of Beverly can be seen at the link below.

Circumstances of Disappearance

Potts disappeared from a neighborhood festival at Halloran Park. There were no witnesses and no trace of what happened to her. Foul play is suspected.

Investigators
    If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Cleveland Police Department
    760-839-4722

Source Information:
    Channel 5 News
    The Charley Project
    The Doe Network: Case File 162DFOH

LINK:
    http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/162dfoh.html

Remembering Beverly today on the anniversary of her disappearance. I believe it is still possible to get answers in this case, especially if Beverly was taken by someone in her neighborhood.

RIP to the entire Potts family.

1500 people watching the Showagon in Halloran Park and not one person saw anything suspicious. How could that be? I have to wonder if Beverly was planning on meeting someone with her insistence on staying to the end of the show when her friend had to be home by dark. Beverly refused to go, even though she knew she was not supposed to be there alone. I, too, hope that someday, this case is solved.

Beverly was allowed to stay to the end of the show. Her parents had a show business background and understood her love of that type thing. Her friend had to be home by sunset. I'm not sure if Beverly's parents knew her friend had to be home earlier, so maybe they didn't realize Beverly would be alone.

I don't think Beverly was waiting for someone. She was ten years old. If she were fifteen, maybe. I've mentioned before that I believe she left the park safely, but it was once she was walking down her dark tree lined street, she was taken. I believe it was a neighbor who she knew or was at least familiar with to let her guard down.

Someone above said the rest of the family is dead. Did she have any brothers or sisters that may have had children that are currently living?

Quote Originally Posted by anthrobones View Post
    Someone above said the rest of the family is dead. Did she have any brothers or sisters that may have had children that are currently living?
    If I recall correctly, Beverly had one sister who was quite a bit older than her. I don't know if she ever had children, it might have been mentioned in the book but it has been awhile since I last read it.

Quote Originally Posted by anthrobones View Post
    It was just Beverly, her sister Anita and her Mom and Dad. Both parents are deceased, and Anita died a few years ago. I believe Anita had 2 or 3 children.

Quote Originally Posted by joellegirl View Post
    Beverly was allowed to stay to the end of the show. Her parents had a show business background and understood her love of that type thing. Her friend had to be home by sunset. I'm not sure if Beverly's parents knew her friend had to be home earlier, so maybe they didn't realize Beverly would be alone.

I don't think Beverly was waiting for someone. She was ten years old. If she were fifteen, maybe. I've mentioned before that I believe she left the park safely, but it was once she was walking down her dark tree lined street, she was taken. I believe it was a neighbor who she knew or was at least familiar with to let her guard down.
    The book, Twilight of Innocence, indicated that Beverly's mom had NO IDEA that Beverly's friend was NOT staying until the end of the Show Wagon, so they gave Beverly permission to stay to the end - specifically. This only became an issue between Beverly and her friend DURING the Show Wagon. Based on the book, if Beverly's parent's had known her friend was leaving at sundown, they would have insisted Beverly come home with her. The book depicts rather an arguement between Beverly and her friend about leaving. It that is accurate, Beverly's parents WERE likely misled about how long the friend would be there by Beverly.

Although Beverly was only 10, that really is the BEGINING of sexual longing for many girls and I can imagine how she might be innocently susceptible to someone.

I have the book, but it has been awhile since I read it. I was trying to say what you are saying, that what I remember from the book, I took it that Beverly was allowed to stay to the end of the show by her parents because they understood the love of the show business thing, but it also appears the parents weren't aware that Patsy had to be home by sunset. I'm sure they assumed the girls would walk home together. The friends did argue as Patsy wanted Beverly to walk home with her, but Beverly wanted to stay and she was permitted to stay, even though it appears she wasn't clear with her parents she would be alone.

While ten year old girls could be liking boys enough to be planning secret meetings and such, It is just my personal feeling it wasn't the case with Beverly, as it appeared she was just mesmerized by the Showagon. Of course I may be wrong, and it is an angle to look at since nothing else has worked over the 58 years. It was said Beverly appeared older than her age and could of attracted an older person, but I still think someone took her against her will, as opposed to her wanting to go with this person. I guess I just picture Beverly still an innocent ten year old girl just being dreamy eyed at a concert in a park as opposed to meeting a boy. Though she may very well had a crush on someone in the Showagon or someone in the neighborhood so I know what you are saying..
    Anything is possible...
    Last edited by joellegirl; 08-27-2009 at 06:09 PM.

joellegirl: Exactly, Beverly was allowed to stay to the end of the show because her parents thought Patsy would also be there. They were supposed to walk home together. But Patsy was told to be home by dark and the Showwagon continued AFTER dark. So Beverly and Patsy had an arguement and Patsy walked home alone so she would arrive home by dark, leaving Beverly there.

There are so many possibilities as to who took Beverly:

1. Acquaintance/Sexual Predator she should not have trusted
    2. Older boy she liked and should not have trusted
    3. Unknown Couple who kidnapped her for unknown purposes
    4. Unknown Sexual predator

What are the other possibilities?

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Rose View Post
    joellegirl: Exactly, Beverly was allowed to stay to the end of the show because her parents thought Patsy would also be there. They were supposed to walk home together. But Patsy was told to be home by dark and the Showwagon continued AFTER dark. So Beverly and Patsy had an arguement and Patsy walked home alone so she would arrive home by dark, leaving Beverly there.

There are so many possibilities as to who took Beverly:

1. Acquaintance/Sexual Predator she should not have trusted
    2. Older boy she liked and should not have trusted
    3. Unknown Couple who kidnapped her for unknown purposes
    4. Unknown Sexual predator

What are the other possibilities?
    Was re-reading this book the other night and a couple possibilities crossed my mind, although not likely:

-Could someone have accidentally hit her with their car, panicked and hid the body?
    -Could some neighborhood kids (perhaps a little older than her) been goofing off with her, things got a little too rough, she fell and hit her head, they panicked and hid the body?
    -Could she have witnessed some sort of other illegal activity and somebody silenced her?

Those are good ideas... also Beverly did have to walk by a bar on her way home. It was(and is still there, though I'm not sure if it is still a bar) on the corner of Linnet and W 117th street. Not sure if she made it that far, but it was at the beginning of her dark walk home along her street. She may have even avoided it by walking on the other side of the street.

Just a thought if some one from the bar took her, or she saw something..I just keep thinking it was a neighbor, maybe a friend's dad, uncle, brother, who before and since seemed a completely normal person/family man, yet has kept this terrible secret all these years.

Quote Originally Posted by joellegirl View Post
    Those are good ideas... also Beverly did have to walk by a bar on her way home. It was(and is still there, though I'm not sure if it is still a bar) on the corner of Linnet and W 117th street. Not sure if she made it that far, but it was at the beginning of her dark walk home along her street. She may have even avoided it by walking on the other side of the street.

Just a thought if some one from the bar took her, or she saw something..I just keep thinking it was a neighbor, maybe a friend's dad, uncle, brother, who before and since seemed a completely normal person/family man, yet has kept this terrible secret all these years.
    I'm with you. I haven't read the book yet, but my gut instinct has always felt that a neighbor did this to Beverly.

What is most puzzling is that no body or even an article of clothing has ever been found. To me, that indicates she was either quickly taken from the scene or dealt with by someone from that immediate area. With reports that Beverly was shy around men and even older boys, whoever was involved must have been someone she both knew and trusted. In Twilight of Innocence, the theory is given that someone right on Linnet Avenue had knowledge of what happened and her body could still be buried closeby. With all of the space age technology now available, you might think there could be a way to detect a body (or what remains after 58 years) without resorting to digging. I have to think should something be detected, legal authority to check further could be secured.

I just recieved the book I ordered about Beverly online. Very interesting so far, but saddening as well.
    Have You Seen Me?
    Deanie Marie Pyle Peters
    Mary Jo Lee Long
    Leanna "Beaner" Warner
    Jodi Huisentruit
    Amy Billig
    Rachael Garden
    Stacie Madison and Susan Smalley
    The Springfield Three
    Fawn & Rozlin Abell
    The Forth Worth Trio
    Rachel Mellon Skemp

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/photos/full/20806
    Where is Sharon Rose Sons?
    Discuss her case here: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...aron+rose+sons

"We lose our keys, we lose our glasses..but how, in America, do we lose our children?!"-Molly Bish's Mother
    **All posts are my opinion.**

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast