Walking a dog may soon earn Iranian pet owners 74 lashes

zwiebel

Reaction score
Pet owners (dogs and monkeys) in Iran have already received warnings from authorities about keeping or walking them. Now they could be facing severe consequences, if proposed legislation is passed. The only exceptions will be dogs used for hunting and farming. This will also affect volunteers who feed the thousands of stray dogs.

'A group of Iranian MPs has proposed making it a criminal offence to keep dogs as pets or walk them in public, with offenders subject to 74 lashes or a fine.

Iran’s reformist Shargh newspaper reported on Thursday that 32 members of parliament, who are mostly affiliated to the conservatives, had put forward the proposal for the legislative body to vote on.

If the bill passes the Majlis (Iranian parliament), “walking dogs, trading them or keeping them at home will be punishable by 74 lashes or a fine of 1m to 10m Tomans [an equivalent of £200 to £2,000],” Shargh said.'

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/nov/06/iran-dog-owners-40-lashes-pets-islam?CMP=twt_gu

I think Iran may have rabies, they may be concerned about the possible effects of rabies and children. Although there are thousands of stray dogs, and many people keep dogs as pets and they are quite healthy. This does seem a bit extreme.

Shouldn't that be 74 leashes? :waitasec:

Unfortunately, I know, they really do mean lashes. I once had a boss who was from Iran. He said dogs are considered bad luck there. His family had a pet dog when he was young, but had to get rid of it because of harassment from the neighbors. He was very broken up about losing the dog. He said his family wasn't superstitious, but most people in Iran are. But, I noticed when a co-worker in another department brought in her dog, he keep backing away if the dog came near him. I guess they think something terrible will happen to them if a dog touches them, and it probably goes for a monkey, too.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back