GUILTY CO - Dr. Toni Henthorn, 50, dies in cliff fall, Rocky Mountain NP, 29 Sept 2012 *husband arrested*

Snoopster

Reaction score
A Highlands Ranch man indicted in the murder of his second wife, who plunged to her death in Rocky Mountain National Park in 2012, also faces an investigation into the 1995 death of his first wife.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/harold-henthorn-indicted-for-2012-murder-of-wife-toni-henthorn-in-rocky-mountain-national-park

It was on their 12th anniversary and she had $4.5 million of life insurance.

The investigation that led to the federal indictment of Harold Henthorn on Wednesday pushed authorities to re-examine the premature death of his first wife in 1995. In that case, Henthorn was also the sole witness to her death, which occurred on a rural road late at night.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/06/harold-henthorn-wife-death_n_6118576.html?&ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067

(Sorry if this case has already been posted somewhere...I couldn't find it.)

Always have to take a look at who profits in these cases.
There was a show on "Dateline" about a wife who "fell" from a cliff while fishing ; her second husband (Dan?) had a fairly big policy taken out on her, as well.
Hard to understand such calculating coldness in some people.
:moo:

I would never want a 5 million dollar life insurance policy. It's asking for trouble. :eek:

I would never want a 5 million dollar life insurance policy. It's asking for trouble. :eek:
The news said that somebody tried to collect money on one of the policies just 2 days after her death. Greed is written all over her death. All we need is the name of his young mistress from 2 years ago.

I am still wondering why LE didn't think wife#1 death was not murder. Why would she be working underneath the car and not him? Iam sure he was drowning in motive; But they didn't check his phone or anything.

Snoopster, I wanted to talk about it and did a search and all I got was your post. So tag, you're it!

I live in Denver and this is so wonderful that federal law enforcement has arrested this guy. Harold screwed up by murdering Toni on federal land. I have no family or friend connections but am interested in the case because he could be another conning black widower who didn't like working.

Harold got a degree in geology from James Madison University in 1984. The 2006 alumni newsletter just has this brief statement: "Harold Henthorn ’84 and his wife Toni have a daughter Haley Nicole born on 6-19-05." Note how chatty all the other geologists are about what they are doing and what they have been doing for the last 22 years!!!! And Harold just has that brief statement. This is the link I found: Other News: Brad Ricks Is A Staff Hydrogeologist I With Joyce
csmres.jmu.edu/geollab/.../Alumni%20News%202006.doc

The first wife, Sandra who was insured for 300K, died in 1995 while reaching under the car, on a rural road in Douglas County, during the night, for "something" while Harold had the car on a jack. He states he was looking in the trunk when the car fell on Sandra and did not see a thing. Harold admitted he made the decision to stop on the rural road, in the night, because the tire "felt mushy." They were married 13 years.

Then Harold meets eye-surgeon Toni and they get married. Toni died on Sep 29, 2012. I read somewhere but cannot find now, that it was days before their 13th wedding anniversary! Harold states he did not see Toni fall off the cliff, as he was looking at his phone, but does admit they left the established trail together and were standing together at the precipice.

Questions which may be answered officially by media soon, as "insiders" seem to be posting in media comments.

1) What did Harold do to earn money? He got 300K from Sandra's death - did he run fake online businesses and use it to fool Toni into thinking he was earning an "income?" What is Harold's work history since 1984? What are the names of these businesses? I could not find Harold's facebook page (just the other poor Harold Henthorn on an island). You'd think a business owner would have facebook pages.
2) What was Sandra reaching for, under the car? Did the investigators ever find a lug nut?
3) Did Toni have any balance issues or was she in top-notch physical shape and engaged in balance-related sports such as skiing?
4) Did she sign all of the three 1.5 million term-life insurance policies? (I guess the media won't have the actual signatures since I don't think the FBI will release handwriting.) Was Harold the only beneficiary or were there provisions for a trust for their daughter?

I'm going to look for the federal arrest warrant and property records for the Highlands Ranch house. Thank you for starting this thread, Snoopster!

The fed warrant doesn't reveal anything.

The property records do reveal something but since I'm not an attorney or realtor, please feel free to help me interpret.
https://apps.douglas.co.us/apps/assessor/search/parcelDetails.do?propertyId=R0370928

http://apps.douglas.co.us/OnCoreWeb...n&bt=OPR&d=11/8/2014&pt=-1&st=fullname&vbt=ML

It looks like Toni and Harold bought the house together, on 10/27/2000. So they were married before that date.

Harold first appears in the Douglas County records search in 2000. I see Toni's death certificate. There is no Sandra Henthorn. I wonder where Harold and Sandra lived?

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2014/11/06/highlands-ranch-man-arrested-in-wifes-death/

Bertolet had earlier told CBS4 he and his family never believed his sister’s death was an accident.
“He had a hand in my sister’s death,” Bertolet told CBS4. Bertolet said that since his sister’s death, his family has learned Harold Henthorn fabricated information about his background, his employment and who he was.
“The trophy of the family was tarnished by a loser who doesn’t pull his weight, has no job, is not a good person and is a liar. That’s not what my parents had envisioned for their daughter,” he said.
The CBS4 Investigation had previously reported that Toni Henthorn was insured for $4.5 million, in the form of three policies for $1.5 million each, and that someone made a claim for part of that insurance money fewer than 36 hours after her death.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2014/11/06/highlands-ranch-man-arrested-in-wifes-death/

Bertolet had earlier told CBS4 he and his family never believed his sister’s death was an accident.
“He had a hand in my sister’s death,” Bertolet told CBS4. Bertolet said that since his sister’s death, his family has learned Harold Henthorn fabricated information about his background, his employment and who he was.
“The trophy of the family was tarnished by a loser who doesn’t pull his weight, has no job, is not a good person and is a liar. That’s not what my parents had envisioned for their daughter,” he said.
The CBS4 Investigation had previously reported that Toni Henthorn was insured for $4.5 million, in the form of three policies for $1.5 million each, and that someone made a claim for part of that insurance money fewer than 36 hours after her death.

Narcissistic !!

Now that I have that out of my system, I wanted to say that I am glad he didn't harm his daughter, BUT I am so saddened that their daughter (only 7 at the time her mother died) had to lose her mom and now will have no dad. Warm hugs to her.

It sounds like Toni's family suspected foul play all along. How devastating it must have been for them.

RIP Toni
:rose:

RIP Sandra
:rose:

Yeah Snoopster: I have to wonder if Toni did not confront Harold about a divorce, shortly before her death. Or voiced suspicions directly to Harold, as she did to her family. They must've filed their taxes separately so Toni did not know his finances. (If Harold filed at all.) Maybe Harold used the 300K from Sandra's death to fake an income to Toni in the beginning. As the years went on, the income got smaller and the money ran out.

Some reports state Harold engaged in charity fund-raisers. One has to wonder if he didn't steal from them.

The media has yet to affirm that a wood beam fell off the roof and hit Toni, some time before she fell off the cliff.

Yeah Snoopster: I have to wonder if Toni did not confront Harold about a divorce, shortly before her death. Or voiced suspicions directly to Harold, as she did to her family. They must've filed their taxes separately so Toni did not know his finances. (If Harold filed at all.) Maybe Harold used the 300K from Sandra's death to fake an income to Toni in the beginning. As the years went on, the income got smaller and the money ran out.

Some reports state Harold engaged in charity fund-raisers. One has to wonder if he didn't steal from them.

The media has yet to affirm that a wood beam fell off the roof and hit Toni, some time before she fell off the cliff.

I appreciate your local perspective and 'ears on the ground' cattlekate! Thank you.

Insurance fraud never pays twice. Working in the insurance industry, I know a large amount of money and time is spend trying to fight scam artists and monsters like Harold Renthorn. The first thing a claim handler would see when he filed the claim on Toni was a ISO hit for his claim for Sandra. That and him calling in within such a short time frame wanting money is a huge red flag. What's saddest to me is that Harold's greed led him to not care about his own child being without her mother. I'm glad he didn't harm the little girl physically but sickened by the cold-hearted emotional harm he caused to his daughter and the rest of Sandra's family.

Can a wife ask the irs for copies of her spouse's returns if married people file separately? I'd love to know the answer to that question in order to help prevent this "con-spouse gig" in the future.

The same thing happened to my friend. She's not dead, fortunately. Her husband ran an online company from home. He filed separately. He contributed to household expenses with cash. Come to find out, he really didn't make money but instead took out a bunch of credit cards, took cash advances, and ran up 90k in secret marital debt. She was responsible for half by the time she started asking questions and filed for divorce.

I have to wonder if the FBI had quick access to the irs records of Harold, since this was done on federal land, and that's why the case of a healthy, high-earning doctor didn't just get stuck in some county sherrif's drawer!

Some background info on him and his first wife:

http://www.asa3.org/ASA/topics/NewsLetter80s/AUGSEP82.html

"Harold A . Henthorn, geology grad student at the U. of Kentucky in Lexington, will marry Lynn Rishell of Potomac, Maryland, on September 11. Harold and Lynn are both graduates of James Madison University in Harrisonburg, Virginia. He has been working part-time as a consulting geologist while completing his master's degree; she has been teaching in a total communication class for multiply handicapped children at Christ Church Child Center in Potomac. After the wedding the Henthorns will move to Denver, Colorado, where Harold will work for Chevron U.S.A., Inc., as a petroleum exploration geologist while Lynn continues part-time study in education."

http://www.asa3.org/ASA/topics/NewsLetter80s/DEC83JAN84.html

"Harold Henthorn of Denver, Colorado, is a geologist with the Rocky Mountain Division of Chevron (Standard Oil Company of California), exploring for petroleum in southeast Utah. In September 1982 Harold married Lynn Rishell of Potomac, Maryland, whom he had known when they were both undergraduates at James Madison University. While Harold was doing graduate work at the U. of Kentucky, Lynn, who studied social work in college, worked with senior high students in her church in the D.C. area. In December 1982 the Henthorns moved to Denver, where Lynn now teaches multiply-handicapped children."

Some background info on him and his first wife:

http://www.asa3.org/ASA/topics/NewsLetter80s/AUGSEP82.html

"Harold A . Henthorn, geology grad student at the U. of Kentucky in Lexington, will marry Lynn Rishell of Potomac, Maryland, on September 11. Harold and Lynn are both graduates of James Madison University in Harrisonburg, Virginia. He has been working part-time as a consulting geologist while completing his master's degree; she has been teaching in a total communication class for multiply handicapped children at Christ Church Child Center in Potomac. After the wedding the Henthorns will move to Denver, Colorado, where Harold will work for Chevron U.S.A., Inc., as a petroleum exploration geologist while Lynn continues part-time study in education."

http://www.asa3.org/ASA/topics/NewsLetter80s/DEC83JAN84.html

"Harold Henthorn of Denver, Colorado, is a geologist with the Rocky Mountain Division of Chevron (Standard Oil Company of California), exploring for petroleum in southeast Utah. In September 1982 Harold married Lynn Rishell of Potomac, Maryland, whom he had known when they were both undergraduates at James Madison University. While Harold was doing graduate work at the U. of Kentucky, Lynn, who studied social work in college, worked with senior high students in her church in the D.C. area. In December 1982 the Henthorns moved to Denver, where Lynn now teaches multiply-handicapped children."

Is Lynn the same person as Sandra?

ETA: I guess she is...
Sandra Lynn Henthorn, 37, was crushed to death after the couple's car slipped off a jack while she and Harold Henthorn were trying to change a flat tire one late night in 1995.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-wife-died-freak-accident.html#ixzz3IWevZwf1
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Thank you graysmama and treeslights!

August/September, 1982 : AMERICAN SCIENTIFIC AFFILIATION -CANADIAN SCIENTIFIC & CHRISTIAN AFFILIATION

AMERICAN SCIENTIFIC AFFILIATION -CANADIAN SCIENTIFIC & CHRISTIAN AFFILIATION
Volume 25 Number 6 December 1983/January 1984

I have to wonder if Harold didn't use his church affiliation and trusting Christian church members to further his goals. I'll have to scour to see if his "non-profits" and "fundraisers" were church-affiliated.

I can't find any property home purchases on the Arapahoe County website.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back