Canada - Native Teen assaulted/dumped in river, 16, Winnipeg, Nov 2014 - *ARRESTS*

dotr

Reaction score
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...of_native_teen_assaulted_dumped_in_river.html

" Published on Mon Nov 10 2014
rbbm.
WINNIPEG—Police in Winnipeg are appealing for help after a 16-year-old girl was seriously assaulted and ended up in the frigid Assiniboine River.

Police took the unusual step of identifying the victim — with her parents' permission — as Rinelle Harper from the remote northern Manitoba reserve of God's Lake Narrows.

They say she was out with friends Friday night before she was attacked near a bridge in the city's downtown.

The girl managed to pull herself out of the water onto a walkway, where she was discovered by a passerby and rushed to hospital in critical condition.

Police are asking anyone with information that could help their investigation to come forward."

"Releasing the name of a sexual assault victim is an unusual move for the Winnipeg Police Service. Harper's parents gave police permission to identify her, Supt. Danny Smyth told reporters at an afternoon news conference.

Smyth said investigators want the public to see Harper is a regular person, and help is needed to find out who attacked her.

According to police, Harper is from Gods Lake Narrows in northern Manitoba, but she has been living in Winnipeg with her family while attending school. She had no prior contact with police, Smyth said.

Harper went out with friends in the city's South Broadway area on Friday evening, and investigators believe she was attacked on the riverwalk along the Assiniboine River near the bridge.

Police say they believe the attack was sexual in nature."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...-as-victim-in-midtown-bridge-attack-1.2830371

Another article from the Winnipeg Free Press - Police identify 16-year-old girl who was assaulted and thrown into the Assiniboine River.

An earlier article with a photo of the area by the river "near Donald Street and Assiniboine Avenue" where they found her - Police seek help after teen viciously assaulted.

Just received a link to this CTV News video report - New details in disturbing attack on teen.

The perp must be big and or strong, imo, as the victim is 5 8, 180 lb.
So glad this teen survived!

"Justin James Hudson, 20, and a 17-year-old young man were arrested on Tuesday and are charged with attempted murder, aggravated sexual assault and sexual assault with a weapon.

They actually attacked Harper twice and went on to assault a second woman later that night, police allege.

Harper met the two downtown at about midnight and walked with them down to the Riverwalk, at which point she was attacked, police said"

http://globalnews.ca/news/1667163/police-make-arrests-in-attack-on-16-year-old-rinelle-harper/

rbbm

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/teen-rinelle-harper-left-for-dead-after-2-attacks-1.2832367

"She had met Hudson and the male, who struck up a conversation with her, and the three of them went for a walk. The suspects "then turned on her," Smyth said, adding the attack happened at about 12 a.m. Saturday.

Hudson and the male "violently assaulted her" and Harper ended up in the frigid river.

Soaking wet and wearing few clothes, Harper crawled out of the river a little upstream from where the assault happened. She was then attacked a second time, beaten with a weapon, then "left for dead," police said.

Hudson and the male left the scene and shortly after met a 23-year-old woman in the area of Portage Avenue and Sherbrook Street, in the city's West End.

Once again, they struck up a conversation before attacking her with a weapon, forcing her into a back lane and sexually assaulting her, police said. They left her there unconscious, Smyth said."

Police need to ID the 17 year old. He assaulted two women that night and likely has done this many other times. He is dangerous. God. When will this sh** ever stop???

Lengthy article
initialed bm.
http://aptn.ca/news/2014/11/12/man-...-child-welfare-system-says-biological-father/

"B M, Hudson’s biological father, said the young man grew up in the child welfare system.

“He was raised in the city by (Child and Family Services). He was in and out of CFS,” said B M, his biological father who lives in Berens River First Nation. “He got apprehended all the time.”

M said Hudson’s aunts took over care of the child shortly after his birth and he was raised in Winnipeg, where his biological mother also lives. Another one of Hudson’s aunts still lives in Berens River.

M said he never developed a relationship with Hudson and only received information on his son filtered through the aunts.

“I didn’t know this Justin that much,” he said. “It was always that he was getting drunk and getting high all the time. That is all I heard when I asked about my kids.”

Lengthy article
initialed bm.
http://aptn.ca/news/2014/11/12/man-...-child-welfare-system-says-biological-father/

"B M, Hudson’s biological father, said the young man grew up in the child welfare system.

“He was raised in the city by (Child and Family Services). He was in and out of CFS,” said B M, his biological father who lives in Berens River First Nation. “He got apprehended all the time.”

M said Hudson’s aunts took over care of the child shortly after his birth and he was raised in Winnipeg, where his biological mother also lives. Another one of Hudson’s aunts still lives in Berens River.

M said he never developed a relationship with Hudson and only received information on his son filtered through the aunts.

“I didn’t know this Justin that much,” he said. “It was always that he was getting drunk and getting high all the time. That is all I heard when I asked about my kids.”

:gaah::banghead: :censored:

Very classy, big-hearted people...

http://www.cp24.com/news/mother-of-rinelle-harper-says-she-forgives-daughter-s-attackers-1.2099955

"When I first heard there were two arrests, the first thing that came to me was to forgive right away," Harper said following the news conference. "If any of those family members are listening, I forgive them, truly. That's what I was taught to do by both of my late grandparents.

"It is hard, but I truly do forgive (them.)"

Police say Rinelle was out with friends Friday night when she got separated from her group. She met two males who struck up a conversation with her and the three of them walked to the Assiniboine River. There, police say, she was attacked and ended up in the frigid water.

Rinelle managed to crawl out of the river upstream but was attacked a second time and left unconscious to die. A second woman was also beaten, sexually assaulted and left unconscious a short time later, police say.

Rinelle was found by a passerby the next morning and was taken to hospital in critical condition. Her father said she doesn't remember anything about the attack.

Julie Harper said her daughter had just moved out of intensive care and into the children's ward Thursday.

"She's a big role model," she said. "She's a fighter. She's a hero to everybody."

rbbm.

This is an exceptional move to name a minor victim -- it made a huge difference in the outcome.

It is time to petition the government to repeal the YOA (Young Offenders Act) because in this case, one of the offenders is 17 and has the protection of the law preventing him from being identified.

Lengthy article
initialed bm.

Maybe if you had been there for your son he wouldn't have turned out that way??! :maddening:

Police need to ID the 17 year old. He assaulted two women that night and likely has done this many other times. He is dangerous. God. When will this sh** ever stop???

Agreed. I sadly know from experience that teenagers are very capable of committing sexual assault.

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/comm...y_into_murdered_aboriginal_women_steward.html

" By: Gillian Steward The West, Published on Mon Nov 17 2014

Rinelle Harper’s story is so astounding that it’s hard to imagine both the brutality that was inflicted upon her and the courage, strength and determination that saved her life.

But the 16-year-old did indeed pull herself from the freezing Assiniboine River in Winnipeg after being beaten and sexually assaulted, only to be cruelly beaten again and left for dead.

Somehow she survived.

Hundreds of other aboriginal women have not been so fortunate, so physically strong.

It’s been an ongoing but usually ignored tragedy for decades especially in the western provinces and northern territories where the aboriginal population is proportionally higher than the rest of Canada.

I remember when I was a young reporter investigating and writing about the death of an aboriginal woman in a shabby apartment on Calgary’s skid row.

Her name was Emma Rabbit. She was 31 years old and found by police naked, bruised and dead on a soiled mattress in the apartment she had shared with two white men for the previous five days.

They found her three days before the Christmas of 1973"

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...-construction-workers-who-found-her-1.2843864

"Rinelle Harper thanks construction workers who found her
Winnipeg workers say they are thrilled teen survived assault and is recovering"

"Mehanovic and Vincent each received a soapstone carving of a polar bear and a painting from Harper's family and their home community in northern Manitoba.

Aboriginal leaders, including Grand Chief David Harper, who represents Manitoba's northern chiefs and is a distant relative of Rinelle Harper, said they hope to send the construction workers to a Winnipeg Jets game as a thank you"

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soababiotiling
Back