NOTGUILTY South Africa - Anni Dewani, 28, shot to death, Gugulethu, 13 Nov 2010 #5

The plot thickens........ Second murder!:eek:

Hmmmm,.............it seems the previous victim was killed in the same way Dewani's wife was,...... taxi car-jacking attempt...:silenced:....

{double hmmmmmm} the previous victim's widow flew to be by Dewani's side after his wife was murdered. :waitasec:

Like they say, there is NO coincidence when it comes to murder!:snooty:

JMHO
fran

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/dec/11/shrien-dewani-linked-second-murder

Shrien Dewani 'linked' to second murder case in South Africa
British businessman Dewani denies new accusations he was involved in killing three years ago

The British businessman Shrien Dewani, wanted for extradition by South Africa over claims he paid hitmen to kill his bride on their Cape Town honeymoon, has denied he was involved in another murder three years earlier.

South African National Commissioner General Bheki Cele said police are investigating a link between Dewani and the 2007 murder of Dr Pox Raghavjee.

<<<<<<<<<<<<full article at link>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hi everyone, thanks for tweets today. Seems like not much more came out today. With very few days left in court, this adornment is unfortunate IMO. I honestly don't feel like we're much closer to the truth. I really hope SD takes the stand though.

David Dadic @DavidDadic · 2h 2 hours ago

I'm starting to get the feeling that Shrien Dewani may be successful in a sect 174 discharge application ie released before taking the stand

David Dadic @DavidDadic · 2h 2 hours ago

I'm starting to get the feeling that Shrien Dewani may be successful in a sect 174 discharge application ie released before taking the stand

And so he should. Absolutely ridiculous the evidence brought forward to extradite this man. The state's case is based on assumption, evidence from proven liars and criminals, and being finished as we're going through the trial. There are some cases that make you question whether identity and personal information should be made public on someone until proven guilty, and this is one of them.

The state have nothing and he should never have been extradited. Surprised UK allowed it.

“174. Accused may be discharged at close of case for prosecution.— If, at the close of the case for the prosecution at any trial, the court is of the opinion that there is no evidence that the accused committed the offence referred to in the charge or any offence of which he may be convicted on the charge, it may return a verdict of not guilty.”

article-1383645-0BA194D300000578-928_468x316.jpg

Anni with her parents in the last family picture they had taken before her murder.

RIP Anni Hindocha

12 March 1982 - 13 November 2010.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...ewani-Annis-family-ask-happened-daughter.html

“174. Accused may be discharged at close of case for prosecution.— If, at the close of the case for the prosecution at any trial, the court is of the opinion that there is no evidence that the accused committed the offence referred to in the charge or any offence of which he may be convicted on the charge, it may return a verdict of not guilty.”

Thanks IB, I was interested in the sect 174, and it's no surprise. So the case will be wrapped up before December 1. At least, Anni's parents can rest assured that no stone was left unturned in seeking justice and the truth. JMO

Thanks IB, I was interested in the sect 174, and it's no surprise. So the case will be wrapped up before December 1. At least, Anni's parents can rest assured that no stone was left unturned in seeking justice and the truth. JMO

If it is wrapped up, I am not too sure that Anni's family will be happy. I think they want to hear what SD has to say. IMO The likelihood is that the case will be thrown out because there seems to be no concrete evidence to convict SD and he may well be the fall guy for a bungled ransom abduction.

The PT obviously think the new evidence they are bringing before the court is important so we will have to wait and see what it is. Given they have had 4 years to get their facts sorted, this may well be another red herring.

If it is wrapped up, I am not too sure that Anni's family will be happy. I think they want to hear what SD has to say. IMO The likelihood is that the case will be thrown out because there seems to be no concrete evidence to convict SD and he may well be the fall guy for a bungled ransom abduction.

The PT obviously think the new evidence they are bringing before the court is important so we will have to wait and see what it is. Given they have had 4 years to get their facts sorted, this may well be another red herring.

I wouldn't call it a red herring. I think the state is bringing an expert in to prove Mnengi shot the fatal bullet (as it was implied by the DT that Qwabe made the shot). Maybe, the expert will compare it to other execution style murders, as VZ made a point that this wasn't the case either. BTW, I'm just speculating here. Unfortunately, the state wasn't prepared for the DT's comebacks and the revelation that the test results for primer residue weren't available in time for the Mnengi trial. The state is probably covering their backs now.

Imo, the state haven't brought charges against Dewani for the sake of it, they got the killers, and if they in turn accuse Dewani of hiring them, the state is obligated to take it seriously and follow it through. It could be considered bad judgment on their part that they thought they had enough solid evidence but I don't think it was done maliciously.

Anni's father, in his interviews comes across as a kind and gracious man who just wants the truth like any parent whose child has been murdered, as does Anni's mother, they at least deserve that, but sadly, as in most murder cases, the absolute truth is rarely found.

Today, is the 4th anniversary of Anni's death and my thoughts are with her parents, family and friends.

JMO

Originally Posted by newone

Traverso: Surely you knew this before coming to trial. Why is there no report? The police have gone on TV, on Panorama about the state's case. I'm going to grant you the indulgence but I want to know, why only now.

Mopp: We've been trying to get an expert from the police, who is competent, to talk about primer residue & what happens when a shot is fired.

I am absolutely not a liberal handwringer, but will someone please correct me here if I am wrong..... Mngeni was convicted as the one that fired the shot that killed Anni, but we now have the state scurrying for an expert witness on gun residue and they have now admitted this crucial evidence was omitted at Mngeni's trial!! Mngeni gave evidence that there was only the 4 grand from SD's pocket as spoil, which him and Quabe split. He was the first to be arrested and (according to Panorama) there is evidence that he only saw the 2 grand from the 4 grand split with Quabe. It seems to me that he was stitched up by everyone. He took the rap for the ultimate shot and it would appear that Quabe didn't tell him about the 10k in the car, and no-one else did either. His co conspirators seem to have been eager to throw him under the bus, whilst hiding the main spoil from him.

Don't get me wrong, Mngeni is absolutely guilty, but it seems to me that this bunch were no strangers to this kind of arrangement, nor of making the most of situations for themselves, despite so called 'arrangements'. Mngeni was arrested first, seems to corroborate SD's story (initially before he denied everything) and didn't seem to want to touch the other's stories with a bargepole. Shame he's dead, he would have been an interesting witness here - but then, he'd have had absolutely no incentive to testify, would he?

No-one is ever going to convince me this bunch pulled it together enough to hatch a plot to implicate Dewani out of the blue. Absolutely no reason it could benefit them. They implicated him, because he was involved, in my opinion.

I am absolutely not a liberal handwringer, but will someone please correct me here if I am wrong..... Mngeni was convicted as the one that fired the shot that killed Anni, but we now have the state scurrying for an expert witness on gun residue and they have now admitted this crucial evidence was omitted at Mngeni's trial!! Mngeni gave evidence that there was only the 4 grand from SD's pocket as spoil, which him and Quabe split. He was the first to be arrested and (according to Panorama) there is evidence that he only saw the 2 grand from the 4 grand split with Quabe. It seems to me that he was stitched up by everyone. He took the rap for the ultimate shot and it would appear that Quabe didn't tell him about the 10k in the car, and no-one else did either. His co conspirators seem to have been eager to throw him under the bus, whilst hiding the main spoil from him.

Don't get me wrong, Mngeni is absolutely guilty, but it seems to me that this bunch were no strangers to this kind of arrangement, nor of making the most of situations for themselves, despite so called 'arrangements'. Mngeni was arrested first, seems to corroborate SD's story (initially before he denied everything) and didn't seem to want to touch the other's stories with a bargepole. Shame he's dead, he would have been an interesting witness here - but then, he'd have had absolutely no incentive to testify, would he?

Mngeni denied being involved in the whole hijacking, robbery and murder, even though his left handprint was discovered on the right fender of the vehicle. An elderly woman witnessed Mngeni sitting in a vehicle with Tongo and Qwabe on the Saturday, 13 November, 2010 at 3.30pm. She identified Tongo as he once lived in her district but had since moved. It was in Tongo's vehicle they were discussing the plans for that night. There were also other reliable witnesses to the sighting of Mngeni in Tongo's vehicle on that day.

Witnesses came forward that Mngeni was wearing the Prada watch and that he had in his possession the ladies Georgio Armeni watch which he tried to offload for R40000. He sold Anni's blackberry phone to a woman he knew for R500, and had the other 2 phones on him. Friends of his from his district saw him with the digital camera and the jewelry was later discovered in the shack where he was residing after he was arrested.

After the meeting he had in the vehicle with Tongo and Qwabe, another witness saw him in the possession of a gun he had carried in a plastic bag.

The R10000 found in the cubbyhole was shared evenly between Qwabe and Mngeni as well as the R4000 taken from SD's person. Panorama saying he was diddled out of his share, is questionable.

Mngeni also was a known drug dealer and sold methamphetamine, known as Tik. He was definitely a very shady character and his denials were just pure stupidity on his part and he deserved his sentence.

Imo, Mngeni was the most dangerous character of the lot and I'm glad he's dead. Because he pleaded not guilty, the prosecutor's case against him and his co-conspirators was brought to the attention of the DT and the claims made against SD, which of course, they used to their advantage, and rightly so. All's fair in love and war.

The Panorama documentary has been debunked and clearly biased and it was littered with untruths and omissions.

JMO

Here is Mngeni's judgment -

http://www.saflii.org/za/cases/ZAWCHC/2012/202.html

No-one is ever going to convince me this bunch pulled it together enough to hatch a plot to implicate Dewani out of the blue. Absolutely no reason it could benefit them. They implicated him, because he was involved, in my opinion.

I'm with you Z and I don't believe it would enter their heads to come up with the plan the DT has stated. These men are not sophisticated enough to think it through, they're just out for the quick buck. Money and good lawyers can make anything seem possible, lol.
I'm disappointed with the prosecutors so far, they're not presenting a strong case or presence in the courtroom. Imo, there would have to be a recording of SD soliciting Tongo for a hit or handwritten evidence to convince the Judge of his guilt. Seems like it's not a difficult trial for her, probably just as frustrating as it is for court watchers.

JMO

Am I right in thinking then, for those certain of SD'd guilt, he must have faked the severe weight loss, admission into mental hospital, medication, panic attacks and being diagnosed with PTSD? Remember this wasn't a split second anger fuelled murder like OP, this was athought out assassination plan so the post-trauma surely wouldn't be present if he was guilty? And do you really think that the 'evidence' you've seen that SD orchestrated this outweighs the chances some proven lying criminals wanted to shave off years of their terms by implicating him?

[130] I find that the accused together with the persons as mentioned in the evidence formed a common purpose to murder the deceased, Anni Dewani, after they had conspired to do so. I find that the accused had made himself available at a price upon payment of[B] R15 000,00[/B], to be shared between himself and Qwabe, to execute the deceased. In the process a plan was devised in which it would appear that the vehicle in which the deceased and her husband were passengers was hijacked. During this incident, the deceased was shot once through the neck by the accused, as a result of which she died. Thereafter she was robbed of her property as stated in the indictment.

BBM

This is a clear finding by Judge Henney that Mngeni was to be paid R15000 for the murder of Anni, but no finding/suggestion as to where the money was coming from. As SD wasn't involved in that trial the judge could not make a finding of who was paying Mngeni, but I do wonder, legally how that finding sits with the current trial of SD? If SD was not paying him, then who...(rhetorical question). Will the judge in this trial take that into account.

ETA: :clap:Many thanks to Prime for the judge's transcript of the trial. Great find.

just more information to add to the pile :)

Two suspects in South Africa honeymoon murder claim they were tortured into confessing

Two of the suspects in the Cape Town hijacking have claimed that South African detectives tortured them into confessing to the horrific crime.

Xolilie Mngeni was on bail awaiting trial for another murder at the time he is alleged to have hijacked the taxi and killed Anni Dewani.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tortured-confessing-South-African-police.html

Under plea bargain agreements, all three received lighter sentences in return for testimony against Mr Dewani and Mngeni.
Mngeni’s trial heard how he was identified from a palm print on Tongo’s VW.
Within hours of his arrest, he had given police a partial confession – though he insists he was told what to say in his confession by detectives who tortured him.
However, Judge Robert Henney said: ‘The accused could barely avoid the avalanche of evidence from crashing down on him.’
In an indictment of the South Africa’s overwhelmed justice system, Mngeni appears to have been out on bail for various crimes at the time of Mrs Dewani’s murder.
While on remand, he was diagnosed with brain cancer for which he was given radiotherapy but is now receiving only palliative care.
Menacing at his initial court hearings two years ago, yesterday he was using a walking frame.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-murdering-honeymoon-bride.html#ixzz3IwFmzDXg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amberraff
Back