782 users online (98 members and 684 guests)  

Websleuths News

NM - Belen, Skeletal Remains UP13719, on West Mesa, Nov'14

Skeletal remains were found Sunday on Belen’s west mesa, and investigators with the Valencia County Sheriff’s Office and the Office of the Medical Investigator are trying to determine how old the remains are and who they belonged to. Sheriff Louis Burkhard said someone was walking west of Golden Oak Road at about 6 p.m. on Sunday when they discovered what appeared to be a shallow grave...

“OMI confirmed they were human remains,” Burkhard said. “They found a torso, skull and limbs. The sex is yet to be determined.”... According to Burkhard, sheriff’s detectives didn’t find anything else, such as clothing, in the area that would help identify who the person might be. “Right now, we’re investigating this as an unattended death,” the sheriff said. “We don’t know if the remains are 100, 50 or 25 years old.
    http://www.news-bulletin.com/2014/11...west-mesa.html
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 11-13-2014 at 02:05 AM.

Tara Calico went missing from Belen in September 1988.
    Debra Landsdell is also missing from Belen, but from September 1985.

This is going to sound awful, but I think it would be good if it was Tara Calico. It would, possibly, be of some comfort to know that her suffering ended the day she disappeared and she wasn't tied up and tormented in the back of some van.

Quote Originally Posted by CCart View Post
    This is going to sound awful, but I think it would be good if it was Tara Calico. It would, possibly, be of some comfort to know that her suffering ended the day she disappeared and she wasn't tied up and tormented in the back of some van.
    I am already certain that she wasn't the girl in the van. But I will be glad to no longer hear the speculation that she's the girl in the van.

Quote Originally Posted by CCart View Post

I don't know what van you guys are talking about but if the sheriff is saying that they don't know how old the remains are and what happened to the person I don't see how there's any way of knowing which day the decedent's suffering ended and whether he or she was tied up and tormented somewhere before their death.

Quote Originally Posted by Donjeta View Post
    I don't know what van you guys are talking about but if the sheriff is saying that they don't know how old the remains are and what happened to the person I don't see how there's any way of knowing which day the decedent's suffering ended and whether he or she was tied up and tormented somewhere before their death.
    This picture..
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ctims_1989.jpg

The back story.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tara_Calico

“Right now, we’re investigating this as an unattended death,” the sheriff said. “We don’t know if the remains are 100, 50 or 25 years old."
    This quote is confusing. I can't tell if he's referring to the age of the deceased, or how many years the remains have been in the shallow grave.

Quote Originally Posted by azure View Post
    This quote is confusing. I can't tell if he's referring to the age of the deceased, or how many years the remains have been in the shallow grave.
    He's talking about how long they've been there.

Bones Found Near Belen Not Missing Woman's

DNA testing ruled Tara out as a match.

The article has some more details about the remains. They consist of a skull and upper torso and they were found close to an old bunker. It says it's still possible these are old Native American remains, so they're going to do testing to see how old they are and put the DNA into a national database.