807 users online (114 members and 693 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

14 yr old hockey player collapses and dies in game

This is big news in MN. On Friday a 14 yr old Bantam AA player collapsed and died minutes into an ice hockey tournament game. There was no contact. He simply collapsed on the ice.

I wonder if the boy had an aneurysm, a weakening/eventual tearing of an artery. Assuming there was no prior illness, because of the youth's quick collapse and the inability of EMS to restart the heart, it seems this might be the cause. If it was an aneurysm, there would have been little to predict this from an otherwise healthy and active youth. Very sad.

http://kstp.com/news/stories/S3620840.shtml?cat=1

Very very sad. Bless him

So sad. RIP Young man.
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by Trino View Post
    I presume that means 14 year old had cardiomyopathy. When a young athletic person collapsed and dies it's usually for that reason.
    Just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by jjenny View Post
    I presume that means 14 year old had cardiomyopathy. When a young athletic person collapsed and dies it's usually for that reason.
    Physicals are required only at the high school level, and he was in middle school. Ice hockey is not school sponsored at that level.

Final report. The youth suffered an aneurysm, but note the several heart defects. The article also has tips for parents.

http://kstp.com/news/stories/S3622891.shtml?cat=1

According to a family statement on the Eastview Hockey Association website, he had what doctors call a bicuspid aortic valve; his aortic valve had only two leaflets as opposed to the normal three.
    The condition is also associated with an enlargement of the aorta, the largest artery in the body.
    In addition, Patrick was born with a kink, or narrowing in the aorta.
    According to doctors, the combination of the two led to the aorta becoming too large, it ruptured causing an aneurysm. Experts say it is almost always fatal due to the large leakage of blood into the chest and sac that surrounds the heart.

Sad that all his childhood checkups never picked this up,