AZ AZ - Colorado City, Male Skel UP13327, 60-70, near Honeymoon Trail, clothes/belt/blanket/cigs,Nov'14

PastTense

Reaction score
A group of Boy Scouts from Cedar City made an eerie discovery Saturday when they stumbled upon human remains while on a 20-mile hike on the Arizona Strip, just southeast of St. George...

The group found several bones, including a skull, ribs, vertebrae, femur, an arm bone and tailbone, spread out within a 10-yard radius, along with pants, a shirt and a blanket, Togisala said.

Though Togisala said he is not a human remains expert, he said his best estimate of how long the remains had been there is around five-six months and he said they could still smell the stench of the body.
http://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/ar...-human-remains-on-arizona-strip/#.VGprL2dNiPQ

New NamUs listing about an MP from Wyoming includes this info under Circumstances:

Wesley Nebeker absconded from Lander, Fremont County, WY on November 20th, 2011. His abandoned vehicle was found on December 16th, 2011, in Mohave County, AZ. On November 15th, 2014, a decomposed, unidentified body was found in Mohave County, AZ.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/27778

Every time I see St. George, I wonder if it's Steve Koecher, but it sounds like this person hasn't been deceased nearly long enough to be SK.

The article (http://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/ar...-human-remains-on-arizona-strip/#.VOlPk_lh7xt) has several good pictures of the skull. Wish I was good with that kind of thing the way Carl is, but based on what he has said in other posts, it's probably the skull of a caucasian (narrow nose, "aviator glasses" eye openings). Or maybe not.

Wish I was good with that kind of thing the way Carl is, but based on what he has said in other posts, it's probably the skull of a caucasian (narrow nose, "aviator glasses" eye openings). Or maybe not.

That's what I'm seeing. Clearly male. Probably Caucasian, though I wouldn't rule-out Hispanic or NtvAm. The photos of the skull are taken from a strange angle, but from what I can see, it does look like Caucasian male.

It says a Safeway club card was found with the body, could that be traced to find out his identity? Aren't most club cards attached to a phone number?

Guessing this is the same guy... if so, a lot more information about his clothing and belongings is included.

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/13327

Also, it looks like Mohave County has jurisdiction. Can someone correct the title?

Huh. That blanket is an unusual one to be with an adult male. Precious Moments is more the kind of thing that appeals to the same demographic that used to be into Beanie Babies.

Bumping. I wonder if this is Charles Samek:

http://charleyproject.org/case/charles-daniel-earl-samek

What makes me think it could be him:

- the age is right, UID is believed to be between 60 and 70, Samek was 65
- the estimated time of death was within 6 months (it says in the article above that you could still smell the stench of the body). Samek was last seen in August, the body was found in November, so three months
- UID had long grey and dishwater blonde hair; Samek's hair was long and the color looks grey-blond-brown-ish in the pics
- Samek was missing three teeth in his upper jaw. In the pic of the skull you can see that there's teeth missing in the upper jaw (could of course have happened after death)
- UID wore blue jeans size 36x32 so he was heavy but not very tall. Samek was 5'4 and weighted 200lbs and was last seen wearing blue jeans
- Samek was mentally ill so maybe the baby blanket was a safety blanket kinda thing?
- He was last seen in Farmington, NM and wanted to travel to Moab/Utah and possibly after that to Arizona. The body was found near St. George in southern Utah on the border to Arizona

Years after disappearing, missing son heading home

Nearly four years ago, Mary “Betty” Samek said goodbye again to her son and tried not to worry – again – about his chosen life on the road.

Then, this January, highway crews cleaning a stretch of U.S. 191 about 15 miles north of the Arizona line found a human skull, bleached white by the sun and caked with red earth, about 12 feet from the western edge of the road.

Detective John Laws of the San Juan County Sheriff’s Office, the Utah agency that assumed jurisdiction of the case, said dental records were used to confirm that the remains were Danny’s. Confirmation was completed June 15, he said.

www.namus.gov/UnidentifiedPersons/Case#/13327?nav

#UP13327 Male, Uncertain
Date Body Found November 15, 2014
Location Found Colorado City, Arizona
Estimated Age Range 60-70 Years
Demographics
Sex Male
Race / Ethnicity Uncertain
Estimated Age Group Adult - Pre 70
Estimated Age Range (Years) 60-70
Estimated Year of Death 2014
Estimated PMI 6 Months
Height & weight Cannot Estimate
Weight Cannot Estimate
Location Colorado City, Arizona
County Mohave County
GPS Coordinates (Not Mapped) N36 55.770 W113 21.784
Circumstances of Recovery Skeletal remains were discovered in hiking area near Colorado City known as "Honeymoon Trail". Near the remains a light gray colored hoodie sweatshirt with the logo "The ARTS" and "MORIN CATHOLIC" was located, as well as men's pants, size 36Wx32L with a black leather belt with a square metal buckle. Also found was a dark colored pin-striped shirt and a precious moment blanket with a white goose. A Safeway club card, Gatorade bottle and Marlboro Menthol cigarettes were also found with the remains.
Details of Recovery
Inventory of Remains One or more limbs not recovered One or both hands not recovered
Condition of Remains Not recognizable - Partial skeletal parts only
Physical Description
Hair Color Gray or Partially Gray
Head Hair Description Long, dishwater blonde/light brown with gray.
Distinctive Physical Features
No Known Information
Clothing and Accessories
"Precious Moments" blanket with a printed white goose. Near the Body
Clothing - None - On the Body
Clothing - A pair of men's pants size 36x32. Light gray colored hoodie sweatshirt with logos, "The Arts" and "Musical Arts Marin Catholic". Dark colored pin-striped shirt. - Near the Body

Refreshing the thread...

So, if the hoodie is from the school mentioned before, Marin Catholic, it might be possible that they were from that area of California?

Brian Alexander Wilson went missing from Marin County California on May 9th, 2014 which fits with the estimated six month window. The UID was listed has having long "dishwater blonde/light brown" hair which certainly describes Wilson. However, the age is a bit too far off for me with Wilson being 40ish and the UID being 60-70, though Wilson was known to be transient and live a bit rough. Last known contact with him there was mention of him leaving California.
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Even if this isn't a great match I hope other people will take some time to look into this one that are more experienced than myself.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Witchee
Back